Oxblood August, It kind-of rhymes.

The most rare Vitrolite color, oxblood Vitrolite glass.  These pieces came from Colorado by Dave Becker. Dave found on a early 1900's hotel that was being demolished. On the outside lower front walls were these Vitrolite glass tiles about 16 inches by 24 inches. He got permission to save some. He got to work one day and then was stopped and the remaining ones likely went to the landfill.  We had some of this cullet made into contemporary marbles by a couple different people. It made beautiful brick marbles. DSC04919.JPG.09276ee8d7ff5a2b35859e5b589b68e8.JPGDSC04920.JPG.023b62e2979b91c8ca402d9ee1bc0245.JPGDSC04921.JPG.e47ce9940ea73010bc0fc1ddf45ce4f9.JPGDSC04922.JPG.c43cdb88dd271cb0b40a94c630268fec.JPGDSC04923.JPG.85c9ac0aa943282e87c38a55ab5aec9b.JPG

• Like 2

Great stuff Ron,

I was researching Vitrolite just lately because of a mention of it that you made in a recent post about many marble companies using Vitrolite cullet. Just one piece of that in a frame could hang on my wall for sure. A wall covered in it would be unreal.

Here is a link to a great article on Vitrolite. There were also 2 websites that I found that sold it.

https://www.decopix.com/the-vitrolite-story/

4 hours ago, mibcapper said:

i just like this stuff and .. drats ... impossible to find anymore ..... been years looking ... bill

akro agate letterhead. john moulton signature. rare.jpg

I like it bill, 

It fits right in talking about Imperials. It has been a while since I saw a box filled with them. Akros top flight Oxbloods are what I always think of when I see the word Imperial. I bet that the circular that is described in the letter would be a great thing to see as well.

Marble-on!!

Nice cat Gina, I am sure that I would rather lift the marble though.

Here are a couple of Pelts,  the 1" rainbo is on a piece of what I think is Houze--a lamp part, the Houze is not oxblood but I think that it wants to be. The rainbo is just one of those things that pops up if you really inspect your marbles. Oxblood as a bonus is always a good thing in my book.

The next is a Pelt multicolor, yellow, robins egg blue, white. These multicolors are one of my favorite color combinations of all marbles out there. This color combo is sometimes blessed with the occasional splurt of oxblood as a result of no intentional act as I understand it.

Marble--on!!

oxbloodaugust4.JPG

oxbloodaugust5.JPG

oxbloodaugust6.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akroorka said:

Nice cat Gina, I am sure that I would rather lift the marble though.

Here are a couple of Pelts,  the 1" rainbo is on a piece of what I think is Houze--a lamp part, the Houze is not oxblood but I think that it wants to be. The rainbo is just one of those things that pops up if you really inspect your marbles. Oxblood as a bonus is always a good thing in my book.

The next is a Pelt multicolor, yellow, robins egg blue, white. These multicolors are one of my favorite color combinations of all marbles out there. This color combo is sometimes blessed with the occasional splurt of oxblood as a result of no intentional act as I understand it.

Marble--on!!

oxbloodaugust4.JPG

oxbloodaugust5.JPG

oxbloodaugust6.JPG

That third marble is “tres magnifique.” Your photography is excellent. I’m learning and was told to go outside to photograph, I never have the light right or something is off. I am trying to learn and I appreciate your comments. I knew nothing about marbles except my brother collected them in the fifties and he stepped on a landmine in Vietnam in 1969; so, my Papa encouraged me to collect them in his honor, because my brother was my life. From now onmy husband will take my photos, I won’t include a bit of whimsy. Thank you for teaching me, I do not mean to appear unappreciative or defiant. I am so happy to be in a group of knowledgeable collectors and those who have made history like the WV guys. I appreciate each and every one of you. You all have welcomed me and made me feel like a part of a family, what could be better? Thank you all for everything.

"opaque oxblood orange phase"

Interesting to say the least.

I have a "orange MFC brick" --- at least that is what I called it to myself since I aquired it. I will try to get some decent images of it posted in the days to come. 

Marble--on!!

This one is over .75 @ .77 highly U.V. in between the Ade looking base & the Ace type. It doesn't really look yellow enough for custard glass either, the oxblood on this one is really thick. I'm not really sure what to call it, obviously Akro, as in any manufacture there are variants, here there & everywhere in between.

304.PNG

• Like 1