CONTEMPORARIES & CLAYS'

Chad G.

@Alan All of these marbles came out of the same Indiana collection and I am pretty confident that the middle row, and likely some others, are by Joe St. Claire, although certainly not his best work (look at that bubble on LBJ and how off center that little weevil figure is).

On a more general topic, do you know of a good reference book for art glass marbles/makers?

26 minutes ago, Alan said:

Contemporary Marbles and Related Art Glass by Mark Block

Thank you for the recommendation, Alan, I got the last copy in stock and I have a feeling I will really enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 9:08 AM, Ric said:

I have no idea who made any of these. If you might, please let me know!

Ric385.jpg.a4f789826aabdefb0494ddde4d37ac6b.jpg

Ric386.jpg.b86a3b8aa4187a67b2f814bc46bee150.jpg

I found them in a large collection I purchased many years ago. I don't think they are the best of examples, might be seconds or something?

Just saw this one on Friday, thought I would share for some opinions...

20210904_121102.jpg

1 hour ago, William said:

Just saw this one on Friday, thought I would share for some opinions...

20210904_121102.jpg

Ouch !! More than a touch high for the shape it's in, it doesn't appear to have hits but very heavy pocket ware, it is a real handmade Sulphide, I recognize it as a cat, Oh, duh !! I just seen the tag "cat" Maybe because I'm picky but I wouldn't pay but maybe half that & I like Sulphides. Above 2" and below 1" are what I look for as far as sizes, the rarer figures are next.  Good to see a few in the wild though. I just bought that bear two weeks ago, one flea w/ a shiny surface I believe right at 2" $65.oo

4 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Ouch !! More than a touch high for the shape it's in, it doesn't appear to have hits but very heavy pocket ware, it is a real handmade Sulphide, I recognize it as a cat, Oh, duh !! I just seen the tag "cat" Maybe because I'm picky but I wouldn't pay but maybe half that & I like Sulphides.

I liked it, first one I have seen in the wild in this area, but yeah, kinda tough on the surface and wasn't locked on the price either.

24 minutes ago, William said:

I liked it, first one I have seen in the wild in this area, but yeah, kinda tough on the surface and wasn't locked on the price either.

I'd definitely try to talk em down a little bit, I think they wanted $80.00 bucks for the bear I bought so I was able to talk em down $15 anyway !! I just measured the bear again, a touch over 1 & 13/16ths, I probably put near 2" in my orig. post for being in a hurry ?? I'm trying to find the pic for condition reasons ?? Ah, found it. The only fleabite on it is visible in the pic right on it's behind, the rest that appears as ware is oil & fingerprints from my hands, yes I know another retake. Completely intact pontil w/  visible marks from the shaping tool where the marble was rounded.

image.png.adfee6bf9c101a3deeb5366ed659ca56.png

3 hours ago, schmoozer said:

A group of MADMANMARBLES by Joe Schlemmer, 52 total.

DAC2A7F8-9365-4F04-A978-CC1AE57E4550.jpeg

4F139BE0-B08C-477A-943A-9FA8E9CF6AFF.jpeg

6DFF110F-110D-442D-8ECD-37647A7D3915.jpeg

8A63A585-4C40-4E77-888B-85706B32D4DA.jpeg

If I ever get around to it I'm gonna try and build a couple wall mount shadow box displays like that. I have the shadowboxes just have to replace the backing. easier said than done I guess, they where a lot better constructed than I first thought. But I'll get er done (someday ??) 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 9:24 PM, Chad G. said:

If I ever get around to it I'm gonna try and build a couple wall mount shadow box displays like that. I have the shadowboxes just have to replace the backing. easier said than done I guess, they where a lot better constructed than I first thought. But I'll get er done (someday ??) 

I got it from an ex-MIL, the same one who gave me my first marbles, a group of Vacor Meteors. That started my collecting. 
it is a pain to keep the mirror clean, lots of q-tips.

55 minutes ago, schmoozer said:

I got it from an ex-MIL, the same one who gave me my first marbles, a group of Vacor Meteors. That started my collecting. 
it is a pain to keep the mirror clean, lots of q-tips.

The wooden one I have is the same story. I can imagine after I put  a mirror behind it, dust, webs, whatever & you really have to work at it to get it out. Blowing doesn't work, just makes it worse most of the time but I love the display. It looks so good full of mibs, maybe e I'll try some kind of small uv lighting tape for added "Bling" I guess is how you'd say it. I just noticed, besides the thick rubber o rings I use I also use polymer stands just like yours !!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I commissioned a small "sack" of mibs from an experienced glass-blower (lamp-worker) who's relatively new to making marbles.  I gave loose requests of colors and sizes, but left most of the decisions to Alec. I figured as a new collector, it would be fun to support a new maker. Elated with the results!

I also added a photo of the group mixed with some antique/machine-mades that had similar characteristics.

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Dichro.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Dyson Sphere.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Evil Eye.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Fumed Grouping.jpeg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Green Swirl.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Mapped Nebula.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Oil Spill.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Orange Swirl.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Spatial Viewer.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Wig-Wag Clamboth.jpg

IMG_3849.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Chubbs said:

I commissioned a small "sack" of mibs from an experienced glass-blower (lamp-worker) who's relatively new to making marbles.  I gave loose requests of colors and sizes, but left most of the decisions to Alec. I figured as a new collector, it would be fun to support a new maker. Elated with the results!

I also added a photo of the group mixed with some antique/machine-mades that had similar characteristics.

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Dichro.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Dyson Sphere.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Evil Eye.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Fumed Grouping.jpeg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Green Swirl.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Mapped Nebula.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Oil Spill.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Orange Swirl.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Spatial Viewer.jpg

Snuff - Alec Sabaday - 2022 Wig-Wag Clamboth.jpg

IMG_3849.jpeg

Killer mibs Cole, thank you for the ID's as well  ....  :thup:

I collect mainly old handmades and solitaire boards. But there's a business in Devon in SW England that may be the only contemporary maker in the UK. Its Teign Valley Glass, which runs an attraction called the House of Marbles in Bovey Tracey.

The marbles can't compare with the amazing US contemporary makers but I buy a few because they're made over here. Here's a selection of their 1.5" marbles.

image.thumb.jpeg.f2917a35bc1e48541c38172e03412f57.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bd070ebdde68acc215e81640872e7f63.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2