Thüringen Thursday

Steph

A tad over  2 1/4"  faceted at one end and remnants of a pigtail nearly melted to oblivion on the other, not pristine, pocket ware & fleas but no hits or missing glass, chunky mica flakes distributed equally around the surface. I could have a light buff  to give it a nice smooth surface but why ruin a great mib.

1 (595).JPG

1 (596).JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chad G. said:

A tad over  2 1/4"  faceted at one end and remnants of a pigtail nearly melted to oblivion on the other, not pristine, pocket ware & fleas but no hits or missing glass, chunky mica flakes distributed equally around the surface. I could have a light buff  to give it a nice smooth surface but why ruin a great mib.

1 (595).JPG

1 (596).JPG

Killer Mib 💯% 👌😎

Is there anyway to actually sort of tell what region a handmade marble comes from? Don't know if anyone has really done extensive research. I know some Pittsburgh glass factories where I live made "German" handmade marbles, but I would have no idea how to tell the difference between them and those made in central Germany. 

15 minutes ago, PittsburghMarbles said:

Is there anyway to actually sort of tell what region a handmade marble comes from? Don't know if anyone has really done extensive research. I know some Pittsburgh glass factories where I live made "German" handmade marbles, but I would have no idea how to tell the difference between them and those made in central Germany. 

I'll bet there are European diggers who could make educated guesses but, as far as I know, that sort of info has not been organized or published anywhere. And I do understand that there were some cane-cut marbles made in America back in the day but I don't think there is much info available about them either.

• Award 1

An alternating light stand I adapted for some of my larger German handmades. This ones right at 1 & 13/16thsAlmost like Christmas in July when I get 4 or 5 of these going at once, gotta watch it though it can get expensive, AAA batteries go fast.

1 (446).JPG

1 (444).JPG

1 (445).JPG

• Like 1

Those are nice light displays. I'd like to have one with about 25 holes in it for 5/8" marbles. I remember back in the day there was a guy (was it John Ives?) that used to sell a lot of Cairo marbles. He would setup some tables he had rigged-up to display hundreds of under-lit marbles, and those Cairos would put on a heck of show too.

Some of my Germans.

51420974620_6cbb7b2f9f_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr 

51420974615_86e6393a11_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

51420755259_f89359e268_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

51420246253_a8933c807c_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

51419247597_82283b1a30_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

51420974590_41f5627c95_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

51419987186_50de999278_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Award 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghMarbles said:

Some of my Germans.

51420974620_6cbb7b2f9f_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr 

51420974615_86e6393a11_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

51420755259_f89359e268_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

51420246253_a8933c807c_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

51419247597_82283b1a30_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

51420974590_41f5627c95_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

51419987186_50de999278_h.jpgUntitled by Pittsburgh Marbles, on Flickr

Nice mibs man !!

• Award 1

1 hour ago, PittsburghMarbles said:

^
Thank you, wish I could afford loads of Germans, maybe one day I’ll win the lottery; guess I better start playing it first…

You and me both, I had hundreds of Handmades prior to 09 when I sold my 22 year collection due to financial reasons. Not a fun time watching that many years of collecting go down the drain in a matter of months. Making up for lost time now (I guess??)  :) Most I can afford is maybe a $1.00 scratch off, been so long I don't even know what if they still have em that small anymore or not ??

• Sad 1

This is one that I proudly display.

I really love old marbles that show play. This one no doubt was a favorite of someone’s in the antique past.

Beat up but rarely defeated is what I call this one.

Mint is great for sure but history rules. There are no bad marbles.

Marble—On!!!  and collect what you want to as well !!!

Beat up but not defeated1.JPG

Beat up but not defeated2.JPG

Beat up but not defeated3.JPG

Beat up but not defeated4.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chad G. said:

Latts.

276.JPG

Oop !! I left a few out !!

275.JPG

They're beauties, Chad. It's easy to tell you collect these - they're squeaky clean. All of mine have fallen inro my lap and the vast majority of them are pretty rough.

3 hours ago, akroorka said:

This is one that I proudly display.

I really love old marbles that show play. This one no doubt was a favorite of someone’s in the antique past.

Beat up but rarely defeated is what I call this one.

Mint is great for sure but history rules. There are no bad marbles.

Marble—On!!!  and collect what you want to as well !!!

Beat up but not defeated1.JPG

Beat up but not defeated2.JPG

Beat up but not defeated3.JPG

Beat up but not defeated4.JPG

I tend to find these Indians are always pretty beat up for some reason. They’re very hard to find in mint shape. I don’t know if it’s because the glass was lower quality or what, but they’re always beat to crap 95% of the time. The only mint one I have is ironically one I dug up at a construction site. 

Just wanted to share my very first handmade that I got in a baggie with some other marbles when I first began collecting. It's out of round with twisty waves, but I did notice the pontils back then which I've seen on handblown glass vases. So it became a special find
 for me. I've read that mica marbles were made in Germany so I'm just assuming this one was.

mica.jpg

• Like 2