Thüringen Thursday

Steph

11 hours ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

Here's an old pic of some old Germans that Leroy "mended", I know some people frown upon polishing but he did a good job saving this group

100_5980_edited.JPG

These are great - well worth rescuing. I think the only people who really frown on polishing are people who can't tell a polished marble from an unpolished one. As long as the marbles are not intentionally misrepresented as original in an effort to dupe such people I have no trouble with it at all - better than turning them into landfill.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

These are great - well worth rescuing. I think the only people who really frown on polishing are people who can't tell a polished marble from an unpolished one. As long as the marbles are not intentionally misrepresented as original in an effort to dupe such people I have no trouble with it at all - better than turning them into landfill.

I remembered looking for info on polishing old marbles and if I remember right, Leroy's name popped up several times as one of the best people, if not the best, to go to for refinishing marbles. It seemed to have definitely been an art. 

3 hours ago, Ric said:

I don't know a lot about these types but I'm thinking the core on this one is less common - I like it!

I don't believe it has an actual core, it appears to be dark purple jelly ribbons making it appear so. Jelly ribbons are uncommon a solid jelly core is very uncommon. Jelly i.e. able to see through it, as looking through jello.

Here is one I found maybe 15 years ago, always been a puzzler to me. 1-3/8” with melted/sheared pontils. Extremely simple, almost the bare minimum of color to be called a German swirl. So, my unanswerable questions are why, and how did it survive?

7245B77F-FA7B-4506-B42D-5AA215F4D99D.jpeg

D88BE038-7F60-46BA-9655-A3BCE82BD0A2.jpeg

153E0573-B7D1-416B-9CCB-AA4598BD9E26.jpeg

2 hours ago, schmoozer said:

Here is one I found maybe 15 years ago, always been a puzzler to me. 1-3/8” with melted/sheared pontils. Extremely simple, almost the bare minimum of color to be called a German swirl. So, my unanswerable questions are why, and how did it survive?

7245B77F-FA7B-4506-B42D-5AA215F4D99D.jpeg

D88BE038-7F60-46BA-9655-A3BCE82BD0A2.jpeg

153E0573-B7D1-416B-9CCB-AA4598BD9E26.jpeg

That's the same thing I thought about my 2 little guys. Who knows how long they have been banged around and too still look half way decent like they do. Amazing.

• Like 1

A Trip to the Candy Store !!

I was in town shortly after buying a handful of Handmades very similar to these, the woman beside me glimpsed them & said "No thanks, I don't eat candy" I looked at my marbles and realized that's what they looked like a "Handful of Christmas candy" Suweeet !!

image.png.7a10c39b3169cf42f46ba65150a493dc.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, schmoozer said:

Simple colors can be good too. 

102_3302_edited.JPG

• Like 3

image.png.9caf1a5f8109c5b7cdbc28e7c5eddd88.png         "Happy Thüringen Thursday"

Tri level solid core w/ thick ribbons of green av, & some flecks of blue av in the green ribbons as well. Didn't even notice until I had it under very bright light, seen a few sparkles, grabbed my loupe, "surprise". I thought it to be trapped air bubbles for the longest time.

image.png.7ad3f3978791d19b8dd8fb6f909b646f.png

image.thumb.png.064146a1fbc2fabeb64c8c25ebff2596.png

image.thumb.png.abd4075f55c9b93d92f153f90e1bf685.png

• Like 1