Thüringen Thursday

Steph

"Thüringen Thursday"             :wave2:

A couple of "Beachball type Joseph Coats"

image.png.79e63e8ae047871af20df6d6aa15c246.png

image.png.bff0cf5b0dac633eb66eacde75cec78e.png

image.png.f0f8daf2a1958eb1f1c224617953b584.png

image.png.b49bc02ac9f84a455ff83f86a5a391d8.png

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

"Thüringen Thursday"             :wave2:

A couple of "Beachball type Joseph Coats"

image.png.79e63e8ae047871af20df6d6aa15c246.png

image.png.bff0cf5b0dac633eb66eacde75cec78e.png

image.png.f0f8daf2a1958eb1f1c224617953b584.png

image.png.b49bc02ac9f84a455ff83f86a5a391d8.png

Beach ball....thanks for bringing some sunshine on this rainy morning 😊

• Haha 1

"Thüringen Thursday"    :)

Another Josephs coat, slightly shrunken w, av  in the dark green veins. Please excuse the blur, I took this one a long time ago !!

image.png.68dfbe5d0bb1f647997fb44cd304e2d5.png

• Like 4

Here from my collection is another (6th I think) instalment of solitaire boards - this time all small micas.

The 2 square boards are from late-Victorian Ayres Games Compendiums.

Bottom left is a set with purple micas which are quite rare and I've never seen another complete set. To be honest they don't display that well because the glass is nearly opaque unless you shine a bright light through them, but its a very cool set to have.

20211104_150218.thumb.jpg.9cc4fa9b0b321ba31d0f88d62465bc5d.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, crashbelt said:

Here from my collection is another (6th I think) instalment of solitaire boards - this time all small micas.

The 2 square boards are from late-Victorian Ayres Games Compendiums.

Bottom left is a set with purple micas which are quite rare and I've never seen another complete set. To be honest they don't display that well because the glass is nearly opaque unless you shine a bright light through them, but its a very cool set to have.

20211104_150218.thumb.jpg.9cc4fa9b0b321ba31d0f88d62465bc5d.jpg

Nice !! I was wondering if you had any Black micas ?? I' haven't ever seen a quantity of them just like Red. I don't really understand why, maybe a problem w/ fracturing in the annealing process  ??  Just saying if I had a choice back when they were being made it would have been Red, am I alone in this choice ??

50 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Nice !! I was wondering if you had any Black micas ?? I' haven't ever seen a quantity of them just like Red. I don't really understand why, maybe a problem w/ fracturing in the annealing process  ??  Just saying if I had a choice back when they were being made it would have been Red, am I alone in this choice ??

I've never seen a black mica. The darkest of my purples look almost black but are clearly purple when I shine a bright light through them.

Paul Baumann's book Antique Marbles, which was my main reference for collecting German marbles, doesn't refer to black among the rare colours he lists.

I'd love to see one!!

4 hours ago, Chad G. said:

My understanding is red was an expensive color to make.  I heard something to do with gold in the glass (don't know if there's any truth to that or not)? 

And when it comes to black, if no light shines through you're not going to see any of the Mica flakes.  Even if it was a dark transparent purple or blue, there wouldn't be much sparkle...unless the Mica was applied to a black gob of glass and then cased in clear... I seem to recall seeing a pic like that before.

3 hours ago, crashbelt said:

I've never seen a black mica. The darkest of my purples look almost black but are clearly purple when I shine a bright light through them.

Paul Baumann's book Antique Marbles, which was my main reference for collecting German marbles, doesn't refer to black among the rare colours he lists.

I'd love to see one!!

Yes I have Bauman's book and no it's not mentioned as a color for mica but there is true black in other old German handmades that light will dimly penetrate and show that it's not amethyst, dark purple or blue. I've seen what people are claiming as black and I could do nothing to prove it otherwise. Completely opaque no matter how strong the light. I'll do my best to hunt down a few pix for ya and see what you think David ?? There was no visible mica on the inside at all, as said they must have been cased ?? I just called someone who has sold a few of them over the years, hopefully he can drum up the pix for me !!

Well I found a couple old pix in my folders, not very good ones but maybe give a little idea until I get the others ?? I know that normally they were all cased in the original base color, just wondering if they went to the extra effort to case black in clear ?? The first pic was taken w/ a 200 watt bulb and a flash, I know a lot of reflection but that's how the individual  takes his pix. Might be a really dark olive green or another color similar ??

image.png.84057ff3ef71c584e8f9ff6390ac9d53.png

image.png.d85911f23dfdf7a36a818c2c110b2a71.png

A rarer colored cerise for comparison, also taken w/ the 200 w and a flash to show the condition of the marble.

image.png.12b0bba29ce5c8c2a2c6b5aa17906342.png

• Like 1

Wow Chad that sure could be a real black mica. Baumann did talk about some very rare purple micas being so dark that there's no mica inside, but an outer layer cased in clear which your first pic appears to be. So it could be the same treatment for a real black one.

Great if there are any more pics around to shed some more light!!

5 minutes ago, crashbelt said:

Wow Chad that sure could be a real black mica. Baumann did talk about some very rare purple micas being so dark that there's no mica inside, but an outer layer cased in clear which your first pic appears to be. So it could be the same treatment for a real black one.

Great if there are any more pics around to shed some more light!!

I'll call again later. Hopefully I get a reply, sooner or later I will as I'm getting a few Handmade Pepper mint swirls and an av Joseph coat from him, so not if but when, soon I hope ??

1 hour ago, Chad G. said:

Well I found a couple old pix in my folders, not very good ones but maybe give a little idea until I get the others ?? I know that normally they were all cased in the original base color, just wondering if they went to the extra effort to case black in clear ?? The first pic was taken w/ a 200 watt bulb and a flash, I know a lot of reflection but that's how the individual  takes his pix. Might be a really dark olive green or another color similar ??

image.png.84057ff3ef71c584e8f9ff6390ac9d53.png

image.png.d85911f23dfdf7a36a818c2c110b2a71.png

A rarer colored cerise for comparison, also taken w/ the 200 w and a flash to show the condition of the marble.

image.png.12b0bba29ce5c8c2a2c6b5aa17906342.png

Hello Chad,

One color that you did not mention is brown.

There are some old---very old, examples of true black glass. The first image that you posted is looking brown to me.

We can all call a lot of "black glass" BLACK, and much of this color needs really deep inspection. And I mean really deep.

I for one, IMHO, never expect to see true "Black" in any marble except for maybe one made by the Romans.

I just call it like I see it, and I do research glass other that marbles, I love all glass things.

Still, a great marble that you posted.

Marble--On!!!

All the pix are of different marbles, I held that black one in hand and tried to see what color it was w/ the brightest LED I have, nothing, no brown. red, green, nothing would come through except a light reflection of what looked like a clear coat around the outside. Wish I still had access to it but sold, down the river and long gone. I'll keep looking for those other pix though.

A Joseph Coat with several ribbons of brown in it & Av.  I think if you can imagine it they made it at some point, even if it was a mistake. With so many so called one offs, who's to say I guess ?? I have some banded & ribbon cores both w/ brown & black ribbons but haven't taken any pix I know of ?? I need to look or get off my duff and take some new pix ??

image.png.2b0bb0fb6ed4c0037d8afbaae73acec1.png

• Like 1

Chad,

What I am saying is that brown is not often mention in regards to "Black Glass" colors. Dark Green, Amber and of course Purple are.

Brown is a common color in glass, as are the others mentioned.

Black is not a real thing to expect--in any glass--anywhere.

I will leave it there, with respect to any opinions.

Marble--On!!!

1 hour ago, akroorka said:

Chad,

What I am saying is that brown is not often mention in regards to "Black Glass" colors. Dark Green, Amber and of course Purple are.

Brown is a common color in glass, as are the others mentioned.

Black is not a real thing to expect--in any glass--anywhere.

I will leave it there, with respect to any opinions.

Marble--On!!!

Agree Art, black glass is a highly disputed subject, confusing many, including me. Black is never expected, I don't think ?? All perspective I guess ??  A combination ??  overlapping ?? Who knows !! Except the actual people who produced the glass in the first place, sometimes I know as we all do, wish we could've been there.

"Thüringen Thursday"

Joseph Coat

image.png.3b765262e3c12b09e7da797041715e33.png

:pirate:

"Happy Thanksgiving to you Matey's"

"Almost time to carve me bird"

• Like 3

Here's another of my solitaire boards - 11/16" onionskins on a beautiful board with bun feet.

The marbles are all nicely faceted, so its from the early period, and it sure looks like an original set. The onions are a mix of 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 panels. No sign of any mica but a really pretty set.

20211125_084412.thumb.jpeg.a08bd586b3d3fe87430726b9363ca5e2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Award 1