More Jabos?

Marbleized

Alley for both. The first is from St. Mary's factory. Any swirl can exhibit the buttcrack fold but it's the rest of the marble that matters. The buttcrack fold is cause by the ingot folding upon itself. The ingot is a cut section of the stream of glass. Imagine the stream coming from the tank, and the cutter is cutting it into lengths about the size of a tootsie roll. Then fold that tootsie roll in half. Now you have the typical JABO classic pattern. Roll it into a sphere and you can see why you have the buttcrack. But look a the marble you have... that swirl pattern can't occur just by folding a tootsie roll in half, right? That shows more involvement, so it's not likely a JABO classic. Then the glass comes in and confirms.

The second marble is also an Alley, but this one is from the Pennsboro factory and a named type, called a Tater Bug. They are pretty collectible. 

• Award 1

Wow, thanks for the info Cheese! I was thinking that the tater bug was a small marble, maybe because of its name. Also makes sense that any marble could then have a buttcrack--except maybe an Akro? Nice to find this out being that I just spent too much on a Jabo thinking it was something else. Made my day!

The fold in the shape of a C or S can be found a lot with Cairo Novelty, later St.Marys Alleys and some Heaton.  These are the most common found swirls with this fold. Others can have it but the numbers fall to the four in the order of the most is Jabo classics, Cairo Novelty, Late St.Marys Alleys and Heaton. The Alley Tater bugs can be found in sizes of 9/16 to 3/4 inch with most being 5/8 inch. 

• Award 1