Anybody ever downsized their collection and *not* regretted it?

My collection is not huge but too large to display reasonably. I have a lot of commons in very nice condition.

I was thinking of downsizing but I pause because I have regretted selling every marble I have ever sold except bulk dinged up lots.

Has anyone downsized and actually become happier with their collection as a result?

I have never downsized - or frankly, even sold anything in the past 20+ years.  But I think its helpful to step back ask ourselves what we are doing this for.  What is the focus of the collection?  If there isn't a focus - then its more of an "accumulation" than a collection.  Our focus may shift over time - and some re-thinking may be in order.

FWIW:  A well known person who has been in the hobby for 35+ years once said:  If you don't have it on display - its time to let it go. 

1 minute ago, Alan said:

I have never downsized - or frankly, even sold anything in the past 20+ years.  But I think its helpful to step back ask ourselves what we are doing this for.  What is the focus of the collection?  If there isn't a focus - then its more of an "accumulation" than a collection.  Our focus may shift over time - and some re-thinking may be in order.

FWIW:  A well known person who has been in the hobby for 35+ years once said:  If you don't have it on display - its time to let it go. 

This is a good point. To properly display my favorites I'd need a few more large solitaire type boards.

I have a ton of Vitro tiger eyes, many of which are similar. I almost feel as though having so many distracts me from the ones that stand out. On the other hand, the colors and patterns of them bunched together also bring a smile to my face.

I think I would be more willing to let many go if I knew they were going to a newer collector who would get more joy out of them.

5 minutes ago, bumblebee said:

I'm in the same boat if only because I have fewer and fewer scores each year.

I really like marbles and have a hard time even giving up nice common examples. I mean you can always find pics to look at but it's just not the same as being able to fondle them. lol

I think a good rule of thumb is "if it makes you smile, keep it".

The problem with that rule though is I have several keepers that I keep because they're unusual and therefore rare, but they don't otherwise make me smile. But giving them up would mean I'll never see the likes of them again, so that makes me frown.

So maybe a better rule is "If it doesn't make you frown to imagine never seeing it again, get rid of it."

Down-sizing or sharing is the real question.

The marbles that I have are worth little to me once I collect them, the prize to me is in the search and find. If I have had one, I am satisfied with that and I will always look back at it.

I collect them because I like them, not because of what they may be worth but because of the research that it took to find one.

I really enjoy seeing new collectors getting what they may think are/is not a reality to collect in this world, price wise.

I have plenty and I will continue to share what I have to keep this love of marbles going.

You really have to let some go to realize what I mean. Let some go and please those that get them as much as you did when you found them. Just don’t make it easy.

Marble-On and share them as well!!!

• Like 1

I have downsized quite a bit over the years,selling mostly individual marbles..thought I was done with marbles for awhile,too much going on in my private life..don’t regret it..but then renewed my interest yet again and started collecting original boxes..I’m at that point again thinking of selling it all..time will tell I guess..always a tough devision

I do agree that if you can't display them properly its best to sell some, although that's easier said than done!

My solitaire board collection was over 100 boards, with around a third of them stacked on top of each other😕. So as a lockdown project I catalogued and reviewed the collection and sold 15 through a UK auction house and Ebay. The selling decisions weren't difficult (duplicates, superseded place-holders, poorer quality mibs, non-original sets) and I've no regrets and can display some retained boards better.

I still need to off-load maybe another 20 boards, which I rather like, so the next stage of downsizing will be tougher.

• Like 2

I don't like to sell. I've sold a few lots of dirty Heatons in order to let some out for other collectors but money has a way of turning into nothing real fast. A bill paid for one month, or a marble I can enjoy for years... I'll take the marble unless things get real tight. I do trade now and then, and I try to make the recipient of the trade come out on top. I can get rid of a few like that. Selling them is hard but giving them to someone who really is enthusiastic is easier. 

As far as displaying, I don't have many on display. Never got the time to find or build display cabinets. It would be an undertaking. One day maybe, but life is so busy. Got some jars and cullet out, but I can bring out and show things easily. 

• Award 1

In the process of downsizing right now and the year ahead.  Did it major once before during a divorce.  Can always go on the hunt again.  I never was able to replace some from the first downsize. But also found some that I had not before the downsize.  Downsize does not mean the end.  It can become a new start. 

• Like 1

I’ve been sorting through my collection for 6 months now. I bought a house and will not be moving again. I’m finding marbles I want put back into circulation that got me hooked when I was a KID and now I’m a Grandpa and she has a collection of marbles I want her to have. Hand picked. My 2022 goal is to be a seller on EBay with 100% Positive feedback. These pictures are an example of how I’m sorting these Sunsets. I’m still sorting and making sure I keep the ones I want. I’m putting mixed groups together that have examples from Benningtons and to where we are now that new collectors can sort and try to figure out what they just got. I’m doing the same thing with corkscrew and on and on. So I’m doing a little bit of everything. Always collecting,trading,selling and feeding my granddaughter’s interest in marbles,rocks,fossils you name it. 🚀

606FF752-8F4A-4C53-805B-89A7FE9BAB35.jpeg

66CACA2E-D269-49B1-BF62-91874BA1FF2F.jpeg

12DCBDEE-0B0F-467E-A89E-B40129485B19.jpeg

• Like 1