New Guy with a question!

Good Day everyone, new guy on board. My name is Jon and been collecting about 20 years but out of it for a few because of health reasons. But back into it again and had a question. Prices seem to have gone up, especially with Pelts. Why? NLR used to sell well and still do but MCRs seem to be way overpriced. Are they more in demand? I collect mainly CAC, AKRO, Pelts MFCs and MKs and some handmade agates and Germans. It looks like EBay has gone nuts with sellers who don’t know their stuff!! Thanks

Jon

I agree with all that being accurate.  I think you have the big picture correct.  Ebay marble sales getting to the point that more people have no idea what they are selling than those who do know.  You are right, it has gone nuts.   Now if you sell $600.00 and over in sales during the full year on Ebay, you will get a 1099 form for taxes. Last year it was $10,000.00, now $600.00 and taxes due. A big change in one year. Prices have gone up on everything, marbles are no exception.  Wages go up and automatic that prices will go up. Many people now cannot afford NLR marbles so they collect MCR's so now they are getting overpriced. Cat Eyes are going up and lots of people collecting them now. Old and very nice quality marbles are harder to acquire every year and that will only get worse. As prices or values increase for older quality marbles collectors have to look for something cheaper to collect. New collectors every week, and widespread. The internet has made it so much easier to learn and collect marbles. New people collect from home now by the internet and in many different countries. I have been ask four times the last four days to sell and ship marbles out of the USA. But I don't like to because of extra paper work and shipping cost. Plus now every marble is expected to have its own name.  We have to be willing to change, stay informed and keep up, or get left behind.   

I have been a bottom feeder in all forms of collecting my entire life. It has never stopped me.

Research and identification has always been my ally. I have done quite well regardless of the big pocket collectors that I have had to compete with.

Every shop, auction or estate sales person that I have visited has always had one “collector” person that the seller or manager “goes-to”. I have never understood this he/she loyalty thing because I know that I would have done much better (they all knew it).

I have been buying beat up, scratched, crushed, dried out, dirty, torn, ripped, unrecognizable marble boxes for years. I love to bring them back to life, and then back fill them. I am priced out by ridiculous bids and offers over the last two years.

Unreal—really-- unreal. I never did this collecting thing to get rich and I do not expect to realize any riches.

I blame it on the social media platform—“show me what you” have mentality. How long will it last? Forever I hope, I can compete because I do the research, bottom feeder that I may be.

Marble on!!

And collect on as well!!

All collectors take heed, I am watching and waiting for my chance and I guarantee that I will be there!!:pirate:

I'm with Akroorka, I do most of my collecting at yard sales and junk stores. As a result I have a collection of collections, that way I don't get skunked near as often.  The most I ever paid for an individual marble is 20 bucks. I was bored and had the money (a deadly combination). A pic of my expensive mib lurks below and hangs upside down. Thanks

Bruce

cac swirl3.jpg

• Like 1

Jon, WELCOME to the forum. I am glad to hear that you are wanting to still go forward with collecting. I agree totally with everyone above, very well stated (facts). I remember when i was introduced to the hobby 48 years ago. I still am very (blessed) with such great wonderful friends that i have traveled down this road with. (FRIENDS) make this hobby.  Chuck G---