Vitro Tiger Eye bird atop a damaged red slag

bumblebee

I love the Pileated - really looks prehistoric in flight. I also have a tiny Downy - usually on the suet in the winter - and a Red-bellied, who it seems will eat anything. No Hairys - you`re lucky.

8 hours ago, William said:

Redheaded Woodpecker

You are lucky to have these. 
My wife and I used to have these at out feeders all of the time. These were always her favorite. They had a penchant for diving into the windshields of cars. I have not seen one for many-many years.
Starlings were their nemesis.

I think so too. There is a pair, and one more, which I assume is a male, because when I`ve seen all three at the same time, one (the presumed male of the pair) screeches and attacks the other one. The female seems unconcerned! They are very handsome birds.

5 hours ago, ann said:

I love the Pileated - really looks prehistoric in flight. I also have a tiny Downy - usually on the suet in the winter - and a Red-bellied, who it seems will eat anything. No Hairys - you`re lucky.

The one Hairy I get here is quite vocal before he hits a suet block and during his whole feeding session!

Fun! My Red-Headed ones are quite vocal at the feeders too - a kind of whistling screech, and for a while, too. Very loud when they want a bird to get out of their way on the feeders. They get their way every time.

When I was a kid these big pileated woodpeckers were all over. Lots of old growth and large second growth around. Now we have become our own worst enemy, cutting down everything to be replanted w/ fast growing genetically modified Douglas fir that gets harvested every 35-40 years leaving no room for this keystone species. I've only seen 2 or 3 in the last 10 or so years and they were all up around MT. St. Helens in the old growth forest. And speaking of "screech" there used to be all kinds of small owls, we called them screech owl as kids, even had a few as pets, now none @ least I haven't seen any.

Wadda ya know "Screech owl" is actually what they're called, sorry I didn't have my own pix, gotta dig em out of my Family albums "somewhere??"

LINK :  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Western_Screech-Owl/id

image.png.a2973f698843d82d8f131595b2e0369c.png

LINK :  https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/species/dryocopus-pileatus

image.png.303e1553fd2a4c44d01bfcc1a10b001f.png

There`s that bad boy! When I was growing up a couple of Pileateds nested in an old dead tree across the street, so I would see them all the time. I`ve seen one only three times since I moved back. Hope they don`t go the way of the Ivory Bills - - -

4 minutes ago, William said:

Got a couple more! Patty's sister is going to come over with her camera some day soon and get some super high quality pics for me...looking forward to it!

image000002.jpg

image000001.jpg

Funny!!!! This is Patty's sister's "disguise", or her camo if you will, so she can sneak up on the Albino!!! 🤣🤣🤣

20220905_144444.jpg

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, William said:

With her phone, which is better than mine...

Resized_20220905_150044.jpg

Outdone by somebody covered in a pile of dead brush ....  You better take her fishin w/ ya, she'll have the fish jumping onto dry land .... Will your reaction be ..  image.png.28aa2f54bd5c19f6860d9283672697af.png   OR  image.png.151ed368c4a65a1af74a1ab0a312eecf.png  ....   image.png.ca9fa39dac7bd8558f102aef3ab75c39.png

Nice! Close enough pic now to see the dark eye and faint brown markings, meaning he/she looks like a leukocyte - entirely lacking the black pigmentation - rather than a red-eyed pure white albino. To my knowledge, they are just as rare (if not more so) than an albino. How nice to have such a rare bird as a regular visitor!

55 minutes ago, ann said:

Nice! Close enough pic now to see the dark eye and faint brown markings, meaning he/she looks like a leukocyte - entirely lacking the black pigmentation - rather than a red-eyed pure white albino. To my knowledge, they are just as rare (if not more so) than an albino. How nice to have such a rare bird as a regular visitor!

That's the other term I was trying to come up with in my head! Thanks Ann! I was trying to explain it to the girls yesterday but couldn't remember what that was called...

I'm pretty sure that's the thing with this particular bird, and not Albino. Even though she's really pale, I wouldn't call her exactly white. More like, say, a coffee creamer color. I've never been able to get close enough for a good shot too check it's eyes out, but obviously I think we all believe it should be pretty much a snow white (or darn close) too be Albino. 

I guess even when I realized it wasn't a true Albino, I just couldn't stop addressing it as such! I will miss it as it should be leaving soon. It did so last year in September. 

Who knows? Maybe it will stick around? If so, I hope she's ready for more competition because the Junco's start arriving in October!

8 hours ago, ann said:

Oh, I`ve always wanted to see one of those in person. Never been at the right place at the right time. Let me know if one ever shows up in your yard!

Not the same, but I remember thinking about bumblebee's OP bird that started this nice thread when I flipped from July to August. Yeah, I wish I could see one too...I do get Indigo Buntings for a few weeks in the Spring though, along with some Bluebirds, Red Breasted Grosbeaks, and an occasional Scarlet Tanager. 

Wish these birds mentioned hung around longer than they do! 

I have Bluebirds for the summer, but have never seen a Scarlet Tanager or Indigo Bunting here. We do get lots of warblers in the spring, and hoards of Cedar Waxwings in the fall. I also envy you for your Red Breasted Grosbeaks. We do get the yellow ones in the spring. All enough to keep me sitting out on my back steps year-round! [By the way, I love your sister-in-law`s camo!]