CAC, "Worlds Best Bloodies"?

heymikey

Guest browse4antiques

I'm quite sure that the marbles in Kokoken's Bloodies box are actually a type of red slag. They appear different from most CAC slags, as if they are of a swirl construction. You can see another picture of a similar box in Everett Grist's book (which he indicates belongs to Brian Estepp). Identification guides that describe CAC Bloodie marbles say that they are white base with red and brown swirled in. Since Alan and Bob Block appear to agree on this, I will have to take it as truth. But it still makes me wonder to see original boxes with a different type of marble for which the name "bloodie" appears to be very appropriate. ... Roger

Above comments are correct - a red base with white ribbons. Although I don't think they are very pretty, CA seemed to be determined to make them without much success. Old diggers say there are literally tons of halves and fragments in the ground. Avery high proportion of waste considering the small numbers produced. I just got back from a very enjoyable Columbus show.

Yes, completely different from a slag in that the white is always a ribbon that dives thru/around the marble as opposed to a slag where the white is in all kinds of shapes, blobs thin, whispy strings and planes.

Regarding the Columbus show, I was only able to be there for 21 hours but in my estimation it was terrific ! Brian Estepp and Smitty and others really know how to plan an event. Attendance seemed up to me and the marble activity seemed to be in high gear. The mood of both buyers and sellers seemed very upbeat. As always, I spent way too much money.

• 10 months later...

OK, you guys have inspired me to dig my stuff out. The seven red Jennys that I bought from Grist are identical to the mibs in my "Bloody" box. To my way of thinking, they are not "bloodies" at all because Bloodies have either a completely opaque base or a semi-transparent base ( the latter are more interesting. Red Jennys are a type of slag, I guess. The thing that makes them different is that the white is always ribbon shaped. There are no large patches of white nor are there any fine lines of white as are found on most normal slags. By the way my box has handwritten on it 1 cent each or 6 for 5 cents. Grist says Red Jennys are the rarest of all CA's.

Here is a group shot of what I believe to be my CA "Bloodies". Some are questionable as they are brown-brown verses red-brown on opaque white, but since their pattern seems the same, I keep them with my Bloodies.

I'm wondering if I have any Red Jennys in with my onyx mibs. Ken, do you have any Red Jenny close-up pics that you could post?

Thanks,

Bill

post-279-1191118745_thumb.jpg