Akro AV

Not sure I've heard the name - sounds cool though!

As for AV, some of the most common I think would be Royals and Moss Agates. I have seen it on Oxblood Patches too, and it wouldn't surprise me to find some on a Tricolor.

8 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

OK!  Maybe I’m thinking of a Royal ? Whatever the Red/Yellow ones are that are found with AV. Are there other Akros with AV ? 

Yeah a royal id is exactly the one I believe your thinkin of Rick, I guess almost any Akro could have av.  i.e. "chemical reaction"  Not sure  :dunno:   but I believe the royals containing av. were intentional ??  I don't have any but I think Jason (bumblebee) has quite a few he acquired long ago in a score (He posted  them on the score thread I believe ??), this is an old picture and the estimated price is whacked out but @ least everyone will know what were talking about.

image.thumb.png.84640006941dc08be0c12e7c1cfc1dad.png

• 2 months later...

I am not really sure that the “Royal” was even a production type; they may have all been dug.
Akro did not do AV on purpose quite simply put.
Some of the Akroware has it in abundance and it is  usually in the green colored pieces but that was a whole different process.

There is an Akro cork, "olive drab" on white that will show a little AV. 
It will take a lupe to see it and I am quite sure that it was not intentional. This is the only production corkscrew that I have seen it in on a regular basis.
If you have one look it up.
Here is my collection of this type and if you look real close you may see a few flakes.

I also posted a “for sure dug” “Royal”, it may have had a few more well rounded “cousins”.

Marble--On!!

olive drab.JPG

Pocket marble.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akroorka said:

“…,,,,,,There is an Akro cork, "olive drab" on white that will show a little AV. 
It will take a lupe to see it and I am quite sure that it was not intentional. This is the only production corkscrew that I have seen it in on a regular basis.
If you have one look it up.
Here is my collection of this type……”

Marble--On!!

olive drab.JPG

65702631-5B89-4EE5-A8F4-87F3D16FB582.jpeg

D0F43203-2AA8-4A38-8EBB-350D24AF77A0.jpeg

65BD1494-5DA5-48DA-8B15-7BDA6D555C9C.jpeg

C6F77B13-1502-419D-BAC2-106BF1ABB025.jpeg

5F123AA1-EAE3-44F3-93EC-CC4B1322F4E5.jpeg

BFF046B5-F6F8-4673-9951-643045A97BBD.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2022 at 2:05 AM, Chad G. said:

Yeah a royal id is exactly the one I believe your thinkin of Rick, I guess almost any Akro could have av.  i.e. "chemical reaction"  Not sure  :dunno:   but I believe the royals containing av. were intentional ??  I don't have any but I think Jason (bumblebee) has quite a few he acquired long ago in a score (He posted  them on the score thread I believe ??), this is an old picture and the estimated price is whacked out but @ least everyone will know what were talking about.

image.thumb.png.84640006941dc08be0c12e7c1cfc1dad.png

I would not call these Royal just because it's patch type marble which it seems the auction claims.

Unlike the Royal marbles within old factory boxes these are not a two-colored patch, it's three; the aventurine is a separate flow of clear with aventurine in it. I.E. Red, yellow and aventurine in clear. Rather, who knows why or exactly what, but it is an intentional special run in 5/8" and shooters.  The Red is uniquely colored too. I mean, try and find this exact translucent red in any red/yellow and or other color combinations. I've looked and haven't succeeded albeit, U know, of billions, it's probably in another right? . They're also found as 5/8" corkscrews. The corks are very rare and heck, maybe there's a special shooter cork that's yet to be discovered. IDK but perhaps they're an answer to Peltier's red, yellow and black (The black in Peltier's rebel is actually a very dark green/brown) with aventurine as called today: Rebel. Yet, I've never called them Rebels because to me, it's just not the same. ☺️

There was a true black but often marble makers used very dark brown, green, or purple in place of black, because if dark enough they presented as black. Black apparently was harder, or more expensive, or trickier to make. So I understand from Henry Hellmers` batch book of glass formulae - but he does give several formulae for black. He developed glass formulae for Akro, mostly, but also some for Peltier and Alley.

• Award 1

I have noticed with my black looking mibs if you look hard enough you will see dark green or dark purple on the edge were it meets another colour. Yes I’ve seen Ron’s and Alan’s black CAC & Akro’s so they are out there ,but true black I don’t think is very common ,but calling dark green & purple black is becoming the norm ,and that’s fine with me they do look black and that’s what the makers were trying to accomplish 😎