Time to Fight

William

I am officially graduated too the next level! Not the best selection per say but considering I've had literally nothing by mouth for a week....a smorgasbord! Just placed my evening order!

20220503_175531.jpg

16516186313776142132971061568101.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, William said:

I am officially graduated too the next level! Not the best selection per say but considering I've had literally nothing by mouth for a week....a smorgasbord! Just placed my evening order!

20220503_175531.jpg

16516186313776142132971061568101.jpg

But....I am treading lightly. No pigging out yet. Have too ease back into it and have to remember that my belly still belongs to a Gtube for at least another 3 months minimum.

• Like 1

Confirmation in a couple areas...all the lymph nodes they pulled from my neck, there's 20 - 30 per side, the official test results came back today. Not a trace of cancer in them! 

And also today I graduated from both OT and PT, meaning that I am being officially discharged midday tommorow! 

The Dr. Is going to stop up to my room tommorow morning and remove the rest of my sutures from my neck, then next week they will pull the 72 staples from my left leg (that's where the tissue flap came from).

But yes, a total negative cancer find from the extracted lymph nodes only makes it that much easier for chemotherapy. Maybe won't need as much. That would be great with me.

Anyway, another good day!

• Like 1

That is such great news.

.... but 72 staples .... wow ... one time I about had a fit trying to let a nurse remove two stitches from my pinkie ......  

I would need anesthesia for the removal of 72 staples.  

Wow, it's nice to be home! After they removed my neck surtures, I was on the road by noon. Besides Patty, the happiest one? Uno, when I got in the driveway! I could hear her barking all the way In the house!

Now just follow up appointments and take it from there. One thing I do know from reading up on it and discussing it with the medical team, this procedure sure has changed things.

Sense of smell is totally gone. Just memories when I look at various things. And my sense of taste. Alot of things have become bland or altered completely. Morning coffee isn't the same I'll tell you!

All in all, small prices too pay for the gift of life. Another good thing, I didn't lose the weight I had put back on prior to surgery, but still need about 20 more pounds to get back to where I was. 

Stay active as possible, exercise and eat well and I'll get there. Heck, I'm tempted to go on a small road trip today treasure hunting! Just got the itch, it's been a while 😊

• Like 3
  • Award 2

On 5/5/2022 at 9:32 PM, Steph said:

That is such great news.

.... but 72 staples .... wow ... one time I about had a fit trying to let a nurse remove two stitches from my pinkie ......  

I would need anesthesia for the removal of 72 staples.  

I'll spare you the pic of my "railroad track" left leg 😉

This is really great news, William. It's gotta be nice to get back into your own bed too! In my experience, a hospital is no place to get a good night's sleep.

Congratulations on your success thus far!

• Like 1

Thank you again everyone, for your prayers and support! It's been awesome being home, even though not being able to do alot of the things I used to do (yet) stinks.

Sure don't want to tear anything open for sure! Very tight weight restrictions and activities restrictions (as tolerated).

Really puffy around the neck but it might go away. It's alot to do with the lymph nodes removal. This condition, can't recall it's name off hand, varies with patients. Some it comes and goes, some it's permanent, some don't experience it at all. My puffiness could be attributed to my neck incision also, or both. We'll see. 

Anyway, getting all the staples removed tommorow morning, probably the remaining surtures around the stoma also. I'll also recieve news on exactly when I can upgrade my diet from mush. 

God Bless 👍😊

• Like 3

On 4/23/2022 at 9:19 AM, William said:

Well, Bad news and Good news my marble collecting friends. After having a not so great voice for a while paired with a rather quick weight loss, I was diagnosed with throat cancer in March. 

After a throat scope, it was discovered that a tumor the size of a big gumball had grown off my larynx, almost completely blocking off my esophagus. It had "rolled" over my airway, making breathing very difficult as well as swallowing food. 

I underwent a procedure at the end of March where they "debulked" this mass, too allow a little more room for breathing and eating. During this procedure, I also received a tracheotomy, which I still have.

After a week stay at the hospital, I came home with the news that they think they still caught it in time. Not only is there the tumor too deal with, but apparently the cancer has all but consumed my larynx/voice box. 

My next step. Gain as much weight back as I can. I normally weigh around 175-180, which has pretty much been the norm most of my life. Entering the hospital on the 28th of March, I checked in at 149 pounds. Ouch.

I have been weighing myself every other day since April 9th and this morning I am back up to 159.8! Yay! Oh, I didn't mention that I have been fitted with a Gtube (feeding tube) in my stomach, the main reason for this of course was to assist in the nutrition category. I can still eat by mouth but am limited to basically soft easy to swallow foods.

The big, life changing surgery is coming up the 26th, this Tuesday. The surgery will be an all day thing involving 2 surgeons. The first surgeon is going to be removing my larynx and all my lymph nodes in my neck on both sides. The second surgeon will be removing skin from my leg and grafting everything together in my throat as well as closing off my esophagus. Yep, a Laryngectomee.

After this, I will be a patient at the hospital for about 2 weeks, give or take. Then, it's come home and heal up some more and gain weight back, again. After about 4 to 6 weeks, I will begin a month long chemotherapy treatment program just to clean up any microscopic cells that are left from the surgery itself.

Good thing is, I get too live. Bad news is I lose my voice forever. I'm going to be ok with that, a small price too pay for life I say. 

I just thought I would share this journey that I am on with my friends here at MarbleConnection. It just feels good to simply talk about it. 

Thanks for reading and listening. I appreciate all of you 👍

Hey William, Sorry to hear about the news. But, I'm glad that you caught things in time! The things that doctors can do these days are amazing! I will be rooting for you and a quick recovery! With an attitude like yours, cancer doesn't have a chance! Take care! 

• Award 1

7 hours ago, Mojo said:

🙏🤞HOME 🤞🙏

And get well and better soon William 🕯

Regards and all the best wishes from the Netherlands in the days and years to come 

Joep 

Appreciate your thoughts and well wishes Joep. The first 36 hours after surgery, while I was still under anesthesia, was kinda hairy. I wasn't doing or responding very well at all. I credit my turnaround and recovery too ALL the thoughts and prayers that came my way. 🙏

• Award 1

Yay, no more staples! Surtures removed from the throat area also! Going in today to meet with Radiology and discuss my upcoming radiation schedule that will clean up any residual cells that could be remaining. After today, hopefully have a break from driving too the hospital until June 1st, my next scheduled follow up with the surgical team. A break from going there would be nice!

16524403903806320966009960424573.jpg

• Like 2

Met my Radiologist/Dr. and his staff yesterday. We covered everything to expect and not expect concerning my upcoming radiation treatments. Being as I was cancer free everywhere in the surgical area, I won't require chemotherapy, which is good!

My radiation treatments begin on June 6th, and run a 30 day course, not counting weekends. Overall, with such great reports from the tests following my surgery, he estimated that I have a 70% chance, maybe better than that, of cleaning up all the remaining microscopic cancer cells.

After my 30 days of radiation, my body will take a break then we'll see what the PET scan shows. Not out of the woods yet but the odds appear to be in my favor 👍

• Like 5

5 hours ago, William said:

Met my Radiologist/Dr. and his staff yesterday. We covered everything to expect and not expect concerning my upcoming radiation treatments. Being as I was cancer free everywhere in the surgical area, I won't require chemotherapy, which is good!

My radiation treatments begin on June 6th, and run a 30 day course, not counting weekends. Overall, with such great reports from the tests following my surgery, he estimated that I have a 70% chance, maybe better than that, of cleaning up all the remaining microscopic cancer cells.

After my 30 days of radiation, my body will take a break then we'll see what the PET scan shows. Not out of the woods yet but the odds appear to be in my favor 👍

Hang in there Brother   :thup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...