Memorial Day

I highly recommend Peleliu 1944: Horror in the Pacific as the most poignant WWII documentary I have ever seen. You have to rent/buy it, but it is well worth it. Features much interview footage with the legendary marine and author Eugene Sledge along with several soldiers he fought with on that island and beyond. So many WWII veterans never told their stories, but here they bare so much brutal honesty in an intimate interview setting. I own this on VHS and watch it every Memorial Day.

For the Vietnam War, HBO's Dear America is aย  haunting documentary set to Vietnam-era music and war footage featuring actors reading actual letters home from Vietnam by soldiers and support staff. This free version isn't perfect as it has some edits due to copyrights, etc, but editing and music selection is top shelf, and the results pack a serious punch. Another worth owning on DVD.

I also try to remember all the soldiers from other eras who perished in so many terrible or sad ways, not always in combat. They forever deserve our remembrance and honor and respect.

• Like 1
  • Award 1

My Grandfather was a โ€œHorse Shoe-er/Blacksmithโ€ in WW1. He was gassed and survivedโ€”(coughed a lotโ€”the Camel Straights did not help). He had two brothers that came back as well.
Hats off to the ones that did not make it backโ€”and the ones that did as well.
Marbleโ€”On!!
ย 

• Like 2
  • Award 1

Memorial Day Flag etiquette:

The flag is to be flown at half staff only from sunrise until noon, at which time it is raised briskly to full staff again.

ย 

I didn't know this until about five years ago and share this where I can.ย 

• Like 2
  • Award 1

51 minutes ago, Alan said:

Just noting that Memorial Day honors US military members who lost their lives in the military service of the nation.

Absolutely: May30,1868 - ABC27. God Bless America. My Grandfather blessed to have come home.

• Award 1