Three for ID please

marblenewbie

Here are three mint mibs that I actually have an opinion of some kind on.  On the left .63 an Akro Cork, is it an ACE?  In the middle .60 I believe is an Akro Imperial Cornelian.  On the right .64 an Akro Cork.  I bought this one from a shop and he called it an Akro Cork Special.  I have no idea what that means is anything.  Hope I'm close on all as best I've found in a while.

thumbnail (38).jpg

thumbnail (39).jpg

thumbnail (36).jpg

thumbnail (37).jpg

Also, I don’t think #1 is an “Ace” - although these cork names still make my head-spin. I’ve read that ”Aces” are quite a rare type of corks, and believe I have many mis-identified myself. 

The red would need to be opaque and the base would need to be a translucent milky white, which it looks more opaque.  That said, I’ve seen mention that the “Ace” bases can vary in translucence depending on the batch of glass and if it was early or late in the run. Some looking almost opaque, some looking almost transparent.

Both #1 & #3 seem more like “Prize-Names” to me.  Just my novice opinion

#2 still seems like a door I don’t feel confident opening - eager to read other’s thoughts!

(MCSA) Marble collectors Society of America, Akro I.D. link. Complete w/ description and pictures. Also a link from AAM and right here on MC. I hope these Links help ya out on your marble journey Dennis  :)

MCSA LINK :  https://www.marblecollecting.com/marble-reference/online-marble-id-guide/akro-agate-co/

AAM LINK :   https://www.allaboutmarbles.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3989

One of the many links from Stephs study hall right here on MC

STEPHS STUDY HALL LINK :  https://marbleconnection.com/topic/6788-mostly-pix-akro/

Have fun  :lol-016:  .....  :computer-22:  .....  :lol-016:  .....  :wave2:

Prize Name on left and right.

The middle looks like a swirl to me.  I could see nonswirl possibilities.  However,  I don't think it is Akro.   More pictures should help on that one, a little closer up.  

Prize Name is an official Akro name.

Special is a collector's name usually used for marbles that Akro called Tri-Color Agates.   

However, collectors have been known to stretch that name beyond the Tri-Color Agates to the point that they will use it for marbles that were intended to have two basic colors but ended up with an unintended third color because of the chemistry of the glass.  That appears to be how your righthand marble came to be called a Special by the person who sold it to you. 

(There was Akro packaging which said Special on it, but that didn't refer to corkscrews in particular.  It was more of a catch-all name for mixed boxes or for less common marbles featured in salesman sample cases.) 

((Marbles are complicated.))

Here are some photos of early 1930's advertising from Dani Kirk.  I have larger copies somewhere of this advertising which I really really need to find.  But for now:

1930ish_Akro_01.jpg

1930ish_Akro_02.jpg

The Ace looks similar to the Prize Name, but the Ace was designed to have a bit of orange fire in a translucent white base when held up to a light while the Prize Name was designed to be an opaque marble.  

• Like 1

A Tri-Color Agates box posted by Craig Snider.   Really I just looked this box up to confirm what I already knew about "Tri Color" getting spelled different ways.  :)   (Did I mention marbles are complicated?)

j9Cce14.jpg

• Like 1