Caretakers

We are all simply caretakers, preserving the past for future generations. The big question is who do we pass it on to?

my kids want nothing to do with anything I collect, so I need to cultivate a new generation of collectors who will appreciate my “stuff”.

how do other people plan to move their collections on?

I have no one.  I just hope things are labelled well enough by that time for someone else to be able to dispose of them well.  

I do have a few small family heirlooms that I'm hoping to send on soonish.  Sadly,  I've forgotten things my mother told me a thousand times.  Things I didn't think I needed to write down 20 or 30 years ago are gone from my head now.  That little 1800's dress I've been meaning to send on to one of my brother's children?  All I can say now is that it's from my mother's side of the family even though she told me many times exactly which great great grandparent it used to belong to.

• Like 1

I'm going to tell them which ones brought me the most joy, then tell them to keep only the ones that made them smile. Or keep them all if that makes them smile.

My family were sentimental hoarders, which I truly appreciate, but it is also a burden. I have my late grandmother's favorite doll, even some of her other toys. I have the first shoes I wore, and the topper from my first birthday cake.

Both of my parents have dementia now, so neither can tell me the stories behind the things I did not know about, which makes it easier in a way to get rid of stuff.

One tip I can give everyone: Tape notes onto sentimental things. My grandmother did this and it has been a wonderful relief to have the full story. I plan to do that because my kids may end up caring in 30 years, and the stories will be there after I'm long gone.

• Like 1

There are plenty of charity resale shops around and I hope to make some collectors day in the future when he/she buys a jar of killer marbles, just one of many jars that will continue to be restocked again and again---and again.
Maybe just one marble will be requested to be put in my urn along with my ashes🙂.
Marble—On!!

• Like 1

Well this is depressing! LOL!!!  I never thought about it! yet another thing added to my ANXIETY!!!  none of my family members understand? ........they do not see them through my eyes !  Oh my goodness! what to do? Thank you Schmoozer, for making me think of that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akroorka said:

There are plenty of charity resale shops around and I hope to make some collectors day in the future when he/she buys a jar of killer marbles, just one of many jars that will continue to be restocked again and again---and again.
Maybe just one marble will be requested to be put in my urn along with my ashes🙂.
Marble—On!!

O.K. Art ! which one? 

• Haha 1

The Salvation Army, Saint Vincent DePaul, there are a few others in my area that support non public 1-12 grade school education.
 I am not a religious dude but I do recognize the good that these folks do for the poor and out of sorts. I have a shop in my town that has some really great stuff for sale and it attracts a flock of folks of all kinds that get good, really affordable stuff that is regularly rotated there, no junk.
You can also consider a few of the great marble clubs that support the area that they thrive in as well as provide access to ID for newbies and club news along with shows. 
The West Virginia Marble Collectors Club has been a leader for years. (I am not a member, nor have I been to a show). There are a few others as well that will do your marbles justice and not take them for a monetary contribution but distribute them as needs be and your desires as asked.
There are many options because Marble collectors will be around for a long, long time after we pass on our cute little orbs to the next generation.
Sadly, we cannot take them with us but we sure can pass them on to the next.
Marble –On!!

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Well this is depressing! LOL!!! 

Gladys,

There are always two things that we all have in common here at the Marble Connection—Marbles and Marbles Heaven.
I could never figure out the Marbles thing myself, if you ever figure out the other, please post it. I would love to collect marbles forever.
Live for today and as always---😁.
Marble—On!!

• Like 1
  • Award 1

I hope to build up a collection that will be recognized so they get a prominent place somewhere here in the Netherlands and watched over by my Kids ( and they will pass it to their Kids) who i try to teach and let them see the Joy i have in collecting , identification,  and hunting for new ones , the friends there are be made , the friends that i already made 

A small museum i like to build , a place where people can see them when i am long long gone and say.. Wow !!!....this is something....Wow and look at this one and the story and history behind it is Facenating....lets try this also and have some more Joy in our lives , colorful , the thrill of finding one that is so special and beautifull that it will catch you and how were they made , where , who , when....

We want that Fever just like MoJo 🤹‍♂️

Marble On 🎉

20220205_113059.jpg

20220304_204503.jpg

20220204_072425.jpg

20211222_202725.jpg

20211222_191525.jpg

20211220_064806.jpg

20211220_064827.jpg

20211207_101645.jpg

20211207_101351.jpg

20211127_091144.jpg

20211018_150047.jpg

• Like 2
  • Award 1

If I don't sell them before I go, maybe my wife can. If not, I'm not sure who will get them. If a stranger ends up with them, they are organized in such a way that they should not have a lot of trouble figuring them out with a little guidance. I enjoy them for their beauty, the people the hobby brings, the fun, the history, and the challenge they present but I'm not obsessed with them, maybe I'll give them away. I sure won't be needing them where I'm going in the end and that's where I place the importance.

• Like 2
  • Award 2

13 hours ago, bumblebee said:

I'm going to tell them which ones brought me the most joy, then tell them to keep only the ones that made them smile. Or keep them all if that makes them smile.

My family were sentimental hoarders, which I truly appreciate, but it is also a burden. I have my late grandmother's favorite doll, even some of her other toys. I have the first shoes I wore, and the topper from my first birthday cake.

Both of my parents have dementia now, so neither can tell me the stories behind the things I did not know about, which makes it easier in a way to get rid of stuff.

One tip I can give everyone: Tape notes onto sentimental things. My grandmother did this and it has been a wonderful relief to have the full story. I plan to do that because my kids may end up caring in 30 years, and the stories will be there after I'm long gone.

My grandfather was such a person. A geologist, he collected things from all over the world, each with a micro-sized note. I will dig them out and post pics, some are hilarious.

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

I plan on being cremated, with my ashes going into a very rare and expensive Blenko decanter. My wife has agreed, but thinks I nuts.

I haven't figured out which one yet…going to have the stopper sealed.86D24024-BFEC-47AE-A141-6E76B912393C.thumb.jpeg.909574234e52b95881730605dc3b0c89.jpegFE2DCDB1-F2CD-41C7-BD9C-828935EFF72B.thumb.jpeg.f9f8ccf6be0ce3bc5429bb79b29ecf2b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Wow 1

17 hours ago, akroorka said:

The Salvation Army, Saint Vincent DePaul, there are a few others in my area that support non public 1-12 grade school education.
 I am not a religious dude but I do recognize the good that these folks do for the poor and out of sorts. I have a shop in my town that has some really great stuff for sale and it attracts a flock of folks of all kinds that get good, really affordable stuff that is regularly rotated there, no junk.
You can also consider a few of the great marble clubs that support the area that they thrive in as well as provide access to ID for newbies and club news along with shows. 
The West Virginia Marble Collectors Club has been a leader for years. (I am not a member, nor have I been to a show). There are a few others as well that will do your marbles justice and not take them for a monetary contribution but distribute them as needs be and your desires as asked.
There are many options because Marble collectors will be around for a long, long time after we pass on our cute little orbs to the next generation.
Sadly, we cannot take them with us but we sure can pass them on to the next.
Marble –On!!

Art these are all great places to start, lol , but ,  I meant which great marble of yours gets to travel with you to heaven?  sorry I didn't explain myself better!  I tend to not complete my thought?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, schmoozer said:

I plan on being cremated, with my ashes going into a very rare and expensive Blenko decanter. My wife has agreed, but thinks I nuts.

I haven't figured out which one yet…going to have the stopper sealed.86D24024-BFEC-47AE-A141-6E76B912393C.thumb.jpeg.909574234e52b95881730605dc3b0c89.jpegFE2DCDB1-F2CD-41C7-BD9C-828935EFF72B.thumb.jpeg.f9f8ccf6be0ce3bc5429bb79b29ecf2b.jpeg

That's so cool! Schmoozer! you made me think of ashes in a marble? they do that with necklace's you know ! why not marbles!! MK could fire up the machines and create a whole new line! call it the ancient ones! lol !!  

• Award 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

...you made me think of ashes in a marble? they do that with necklace's you know ! why not marbles!! MK could fire up the machines and create a whole new line! call it the ancient ones! lol !!  

Pretty sure this has been done.  Not on a machine made scale (that seems kinda ominous), but handmades.

• Like 1

Many of us collected things over the years with the plan to sell when they want to retire and have some extra income. With the current economy, and gas costing $5+ per gallon, discretionary spending is in the toilet. Prices for collectibles seems to be tanking, it may never come back. I know we rarely talk $ here, but how many of us will be struggling if our prized possessions lose value? I admit I look at my collections as having $ when the time comes to sell.

there is the old theme, “ when there is blood in the streets, that is the time to buy.” This is based on assuming the issue is cyclical, that you have adequate reserves, and better times will return. What if they don’t?