Akro Friday

On 12/30/2022 at 5:11 PM, Alan said:

There is a group of people interested in the vintage manufacturing process of marbles and specifically the glass.  There was a rather deep study a few years ago of the dynamics of glass in liquid form and how it behaves in a glass tank.  I think you'll find that glass flow in the tank is responsible for the flow you describe resulting in that flame-line pattern, instead of it oozing out of the tank and "piling up".  Some of those dynamics will be influenced by the condition/age of the tank interior, and possibly some weather conditions.

Akro Friday's Baker Spinning cup and bonus relationship to Flames.

I am afraid you are not on the same subject Alan. You are citing marbles that are all mixed in a tank, of which, if anybody spent time, effort or money trying to solve the means to purposely make flames, it was wasted, in at least, that it would require a small nozzle and a means to gather this thin stream while it piles.

It's actually what I discussed with Dave back in 2005 or 6 when I was concerting commissioning, he and Jabo to make a whole run for me. I don't know except it was maybe 6-10 months later when they'd made those pewees, if that's what and how he'd made those "small nozzle and pile the stream' , except I am fairly certain I stimulated some thought. 

I ended up deciding that I didn't want to follow through and taking the time of just me selling. I forget but something in the area of 20,000 marbles plus a few grand more extra of oddities for about $16k, or something like that. Just too many marbles and I might end up nickel and diming to death.

Anyway, that's immaterial to the understanding of, why CAC and others do flame yet, randomly verses full intent, but it is going to happen more frequently when the stream is striped. 

Akro Friday!

What's missing, in general, is what the Barker spinning cup patent reveals. 

Barker's patent went further than illustrating the mechanism of his special cup and, most importantly, the system. His claim describes how the spinning cup works and the friction gear too and the system, tanks and plungers in order to do the real magic and stripe! 

This is the very first illustrated example in making marbles, at least where a fully automated gob feeder and system that actually striped molten glass. . You cannot stripe glass like CAC, Akro, Peltier and others in just a single tank with color control and consistency.

You need to do what Ira Freeze tried in 1922: 1 large base and at least 1 or 2 smaller tanks that stream together. yet, Ira did not have plungers that could do this. Or whatever because obviously Akro did not make 3 colors, or multi colored streamed marbles in 1922, it didn't work.

The key of automation began here in 1912 with the first gob feeder and 1913 when Bucher Emhart introduced Plungers Link::  History | Bucher Emhart Glass 

I do not think theirs were fully functional until the mid 20's, maybe not until 1928 and potentially, leased by Akro and others. Because, just as MFC did, Bucher Emhart owned the world rights too. Something is missing in the history telling the whole story about this and how rights were assigned. 

They maintained patent right for essentially upgrading full automaton in the industry beyond 1931. Hartford Empire tried to steal it, got caught red handed and lost. read the story I linked where it all successfully began.

The dug-up Akro I began this thread with, that's real weird because Barkers spinning cup has spinning limits and it defies it. IDK maybe the friction gear broke, but it ranges from no spin (Patch), 1/4, 1/2 etc. and up to about 2-1/2 spins all at the same time. The friction gear should slip so, we have 'a fixed limit of variation where it's making a verity of spins while operating. And of course, when off, it's making patch, as in Patch Popeyes if desired and or, that's why you do not see very many. Make 3 colors in this system you just add another tank and plunger, the more the merrier. 

Regardless, Stripes is where I am going with the CAC I added and the count to 7.  You really need to begin understanding why lucky 7's happen a lot. Take that Dug up Akro and the spiral, It's a stripe. The CAC is striped, even wire pulls, Alley flames, The Duch flames and wire pulls are all stripes. 

Now here's (Below)the whole system; a big tank I colored Blue, secondary tank is red. You have two plungers, small and large that feed the stream, measured amounts that are in time with spinning cup and shear blade. 

After Barker's Illustration me shows you more 'Lucky 7's as I began this topic; It happens because the stream or striping is completed in maybe as thin as spaghetti. Or rather, if you want a 5/8" size then that spaghetti like multi color stream's length has to be a measured which needs to be gathered somewhere, just before it heads to the auger rollers.  I expect; if you used a soaking wet, soft strand of Spaghetti and squished it tight into a ball, you may be able to discover the Length the molten strand would need to be. I'm Adding an actual chunk of a dug-up CAC 'Spaghetti like culet. It's yellow base, coated red and leaving a little less than half yellow that's not coated red. So, it could or would be a red and yellow swirl or if lucky, flame. 

Keep in mind, the photo examples, 'Lucky 7's (Lucky 7's? yeah I made that name up to suite the meaning); This number isn't random nor happenstance, no magic, I did not make this up in some delusionary plan.: I've examined dozens of old 5/8" flames and swirls, it's a real thing, and I've illustrated it to make it easy for ya'll. And, for 5/8"; whenever the strand is about 3 times fatter, (I did not take pictures) you can get 3 flames on em too. 3's and 7's are there, U just need to learn how to count em.

IDK but think I made this, like, 18-20 years ago and there's another with little more details and scissor shears blade, I made as a set back then with more detail, floating on the net, somewhere.

371577545_Akrocorkscrewpatent2.thumb.jpg.9451fe0611110aeea64e6ba4c146cfe4.jpg

This photo of  CAC  strands is enlarged but actually are about the size of spaghetti. [Edit; Guess I thought in photo, size of spaghetti noodle but after digging the chunk out, it's about twice the thickness of a spaghetti strand.]

1580106281_caspaghtticutlet.jpg.30557b440d0ffcba26f948e2cc3143ce.jpg

caamberflameillistration.jpg.f59d8672206e8caa461b40d3abfa9849.jpgbloodieoxbloodflame.jpg.2340186fa42c162dff4b17924999117c.jpg371577545_Akrocorkscrewpatent2.thumb.jpg.9451fe0611110aeea64e6ba4c146cfe4.jpg

Bonus points for those who suffered my little lecture this far down.>>  

These are a sampling of my 100 count box. This and the box they came in is of the very first Akro corks made in 1928 before the 'Prize name' contest winners were announced. Or fact is; Akro lied. They never printed the winner in the Boy's life magazine when they'd said they would. Instead, they stuck another "Prize Name contest" paper in the next years boxes with a new date too be printed in the mag. go figure? .  It's was to give cork screws an title yet, just ended up calling them 'Prize Name' Weird.. 

Anyway: Hap-spee Akro Friday! :)

akrostockboxexamples.jpg.78fa01eef657ef824b8fe3098de8180d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Award 3

2004-5 Akro HG collage of seller's photos.

While I have not become capable of making decent shots of my Arko Hand gathered collection, here's an old photo collage I put together back then;  some of those made by a few sellers I had purchased from. Thier photos are not very good as, with exception of two; the yellow and red/black marbles, the color balance if off, but a sample of some just the same.

1578120033_collageofdug-upAkroHand-gathered.thumb.jpg.46a9d1ace17da6b902617f13880eb156.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jeff54 said:

2004-5 Akro HG collage of seller's photos.

While I have not become capable of making decent shots of my Arko Hand gathered collection, here's an old photo collage I put together back then;  some of those made by a few sellers I had purchased from. Thier photos are not very good as, with exception of two; the yellow and red/black marbles, the color balance if off, but a sample of some just the same.

1578120033_collageofdug-upAkroHand-gathered.thumb.jpg.46a9d1ace17da6b902617f13880eb156.jpg

Pretty!

• Like 1