Akro Friday

8 minutes ago, Jessieproulx said:

But if it were a swee'pea (i just read about on an older post) the clear glass fits. Right?!?!

Again, I would not expect to see clear transparent glass but some do have colored transparent glass. If you have an example you're wondering about, just post it in the ID section and see what folks think about it.

4 hours ago, Ric said:

Again, I would not expect to see clear transparent glass but some do have colored transparent glass. If you have an example you're wondering about, just post it in the ID section and see what folks think about it.

I agree with Ric.

I would not be surprised to see some transparent clear glass in a "swee'pea".

Post it with some nice images--I look forward to it.

Marble--On!!

On 2/17/2023 at 7:14 PM, Dave 13 said:

I just read the red ones are called fire opal 

The term "Fire Opals" is up for discussion. 
There are a few boxes of “Fire Opals” out there on the interweb that show what I believe are "Flinties” from earlier sales pitches.
“Flinties” and “Fire Opals” both came in a variety of colors. All of these marbles should try at least to show some opalescence. The greens are hard to find opal in—you really have to have an imagination with them. I still think that white “Flinties” are “Moonies” that are renamed.
Yours is a red “Flintie” at the very least as long as it shows some ‘Opal”. Akro game marbles and “Solids” will also show the little slits that are commonly associated with “ Flinites” or “Fire Opals”. 
These red ones will light up with opal when back lit.
Marble—On!!

• Thanks 1

Akro marketed some of it's opalescent marbles, sometimes referred to as "Flinties" as "Fire Opals". The "Opal" associated with Vitro is a collector's name and the multi-color marbles are very different than the Akros. A search here will turn up many examples of both types.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 3:36 PM, akroorka said:

The term "Fire Opals" is up for discussion. 
There are a few boxes of “Fire Opals” out there on the interweb that show what I believe are "Flinties” from earlier sales pitches.
“Flinties” and “Fire Opals” both came in a variety of colors. All of these marbles should try at least to show some opalescence. The greens are hard to find opal in—you really have to have an imagination with them. I still think that white “Flinties” are “Moonies” that are renamed.
Yours is a red “Flintie” at the very least as long as it shows some ‘Opal”. Akro game marbles and “Solids” will also show the little slits that are commonly associated with “ Flinites” or “Fire Opals”. 
These red ones will light up with opal when back lit.
Marble—On!!

Thank you for the info Art👍 all have to check them backlit and take some pics 

image.png.df82191de8cd51cd098acda28c6cf0e5.png                  "Happy Akro Friday"                 image.png.7a013bc8c76aa8d1e4d0ae6e87bdf217.png                                   

Akro Oxbloods

Blue Oxblood

300.PNG

Eggyolk Oxblood

301.PNG

Silver Oxblood

302.PNG

Eggyolk Oxblood

303.PNG

Lemonade Oxblood

304.PNG

Silver Oxblood

306.PNG

Blue Oxblood

307.PNG

Limeade Oxblood

308.PNG

Lemonade Oxblood

57.PNG

Oxblood Patch

ak.PNG

Milky Oxblood

10 (3).PNG

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
  • Award 1

For this Crow's nest Friday I have a pair which are a classification that I think is fallen from popularity and identification. The oddities and different variations of the Akro Hero and Unique.

This first 'Green Eye Unique' Came from Roger  Harty's collection some time in the 1990's. And, the second; 'Cherry Snowflake' I've had so long I can't remember if it was dug-up or I'd found in the wild, but think, wild. Both of these types though, considered the best of the flock, are usually like an eye patched verity and typically brown, as the center patch is.     

The brown patch is the difference between ordinary Akro or whoever's that claim to be a 'Unique'. The shade of transparent brown, yet can vary from thinner light and thicker dark as many colors will, sets it apart from ordinary patched and white marbles.

akrogreeneyedunique.jpg.08f0ea40777e7833449c442bc5a2580a.jpg

In this Cherry Snowflake, it's been so long and there are not stock boxes that I can find on the net any more to confer why I concluded, it's a Hero yet, it is very similar to the 'Unique' specials like Harty's 'Eye' variation. While I recall taking these photos around the same time, Luckily the Green eye's is still pretty decent graphics, but the snowflake graphics are not the same. Regardless, it's still a Crow ;

731493274_CherryHeroSnowflakeRARE.jpg.f31f90bbdc8e15dead939521d941388b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1