Akro Friday

24 minutes ago, Carowill said:

1.07” Claudia Patch

Some very nice marbles posted today, Bill! Your Claudia looks like it has unusual colors. Does it have that nice orange peel texture you usually find on them?

47 minutes ago, Carowill said:

It was authenticated years ago by Bob Block as an ”experimental” Akro.

I think the colors on your earlier photo look a lot more like what I'm used to. 👍

https://marbleconnection.com/uploads/monthly_2022_12/D3DAD7EC-784C-4852-914F-1DB06BF1D66B.jpeg.c2107b6b3695c8ce1fd347a177b6a786.jpeg

It's surprising how different the two photos look. . .

https://marbleconnection.com/uploads/monthly_2023_03/963FCDB0-D120-4CB4-80CC-3358A2C47D3A.jpeg.5fa6cd7ad22a7a6289c0c233caa4ee42.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ric said:

Nice marble, Jeff - does the "Moonie base" show opalescence?

Took me a bit to pull out and check. It 'pretty thick translucence and with so much color, it's not easy to see through, but I could get somewhere opalescence is visible. And I don't have my UV light availed but, I think I recall it lighting up too. I'll have to dig up that light one day and confirm. It's an Akro dug-up in the late 1990's

13 hours ago, Jeff54 said:

Took me a bit to pull out and check. It 'pretty thick translucence and with so much color, it's not easy to see through, but I could get somewhere opalescence is visible. And I don't have my UV light availed but, I think I recall it lighting up too. I'll have to dig up that light one day and confirm. It's an Akro dug-up in the late 1990's

Thanks for checking. I don't pay too much attention to Akros but I don't think I have seen any corkscrews with moonie base glass before. Looks like it could make for a great marble though!

Retort of fact finding regarding the " Akro Sparkles have 5 colors or they are not Akro's Myth. 

This is a set of 5 Cloudy Sparklers. Les Jones once had an original 100 stock box of these that were also mint.

I have seen a few from time to time on Ebay where people are unsure for the fable that it has to have 5 colors yet, the 'Cloudy Sparklers' are the rarest variation Akro made, in Stock boxes. 

Unfortunately, this is an old photographic composition I'd made about 25 years ago and so the pixels are to low and not as detailed as it was then, yet good enough to see the differences.

Of the most common in Sparklers is a bright yellow. Majority of these have green, black or dark brown, red, and light blue. They're in a crystal clear base however they have an opalescent thin white on the surface. To shine a light through reveals an Opal glow. It's quite difficult to get a good shot of the various colors, including white strands within the central matrix, due to the exterior coating. So, to get the best shot then, I used multiple light sources and a background that helped to see the strands of colors which had to eliminate most of the white strands inside. The white that's only on the surface is not like a steady film moreover, actually is like imitating thin clouds.

On this set the colors are orderly. starting on yellow is followed with black, then green and white. Red is only a strand within the white filaments, while there's some light blue filaments in a few too. "Ah oh! that's not 5 colors?" Fact verses fiction: Myth debunked.

916607767_akrosameruncloudysparklers5-8thinch.jpg.4c50d8ed9a644a7d39c2f402e5dfc99f.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jeff54 said:

Retort of fact finding regarding the " Akro Sparkles have 5 colors or they are not Akro's Myth.

Nice marbles and nice post, Jeff. I think that the "5 color rule" may have developed back when people were still trying to figure out the differences between Akro Sparklers and Master Sunbursts. Five or more colors are very common with Sparklers and very rare with Sunbursts - just a thought.

• Like 1