Regretfully Announcing The Passing Of Les Jones

B.T.

........................................ The Ambassador ........................................

..........................................“GreatMarbles”........................

les2.jpg

les1.jpg

Thank You Liz and Mark Thompson for the wonderful images.

The pics clearly show the passion that was sooooo contagious!!!

Thanks to all that are making this thread special by sharing your stories!

Please keep them coming.

I know it means a lot to Sue...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Brenda

I can't imagine a Show without Les Jones in attendance. I found his honesty and straight forward attitude very admirable. This is a sad day indeed.

Brenda L

I met Les at my first marble show in Marlborough Mass. I was a totally lost as what a good marble was and Les spent the time to help. He was a gentleman and a gentle person. I later purchased one of my best marbles from him and it remains a key to my collection. Although I only met him a handful of times he was always courteous and willing to share knowledge. I will miss him. Mike

Les will be so terribly missed! I cannot believe this.

Les was the most stand-up guy in the hobby, a customer, a supplier of fine marbles to me, and a friend.

I can relate a fabulous story about the time I bought a high end marble from Les only to realize it had a new pontil on it. This was already a day later. Les was shocked and recognized the gaffe that got by both of us. He made good on the transaction and never made a mention of it after the fact . I think that the whole experience brought us closer together.

My sincerest condolences to the wife and girls and hopes that you continue the fine tradition and legacy of a true prince of the hobby. May God bless. Jerry Biern/ Raremarble :angry:

My heart goes out to Sue and the girls

Les was a friend, a mentor and one great man.

Les always told it as it was and not what I wanted to hear.

He will be missed and fondly remembered in the marbles and the marble tales.

Lee Linne

Bert Cohen has asked that this be posted.....

I have known Les for years and cannot say enough about his reputation and how he enjoyed the hobby and helped so many persons....The marble society will miss this wonderful person and his great family...I watched his daughters grow up each year as they came to Amana and also to my show in Marlborough.

I am grieving over this loss

Bert Cohen.

Just heard the news. I spent many years meeting up with Les at the shows. I've watched his girls grow up. Most of my best marbles in my keeper box originated from him. I can remember many a time he would close the door to the room and pull out that special box full of the primo keeper marbles. Was bummed to hear he wasn't able to make it to Amana and found out about the accident there. I was able to get a card signed... He taught me things about marbles that I would never find in any book.

I won't soon forget greatmarbles Les..

Jeff Raczynski

fluorescent marble collector....

Another remembrance of Les.

I never met him face-to-face. He never made it to any of the shows I attended, but he was one of my favorite Ebay sellers and our email exchanges were infomative and enjoyable.

What struck me first about Les was his confidence -- his Chutzpa -- to put top end marbles on ebay with a $9.99 starting bid and no reserve. And he did well with that strategy. It was fun to watch Guinea's start at 9.99 and slowly grow to the levels you'd expect. But it was also understood that his marbles were fairly graded, honestly described and worth every penny you would eventually pay.

I've tried to bring that honesty to my selling, though not with the same success. But I keep trying...

Peace Les.. And Peace to your family.

Jerry

Below are the details for visitation and a service for Les. Sue asked that this information be posted for anyone who is able to attend.

Visitation:

Monday from 6:00 to 9:00

Tuesday from 4:00 to 9:00

Service:

Wednesday 11:00

Visitation and the service will be held at the Chapel Lawn Funeral Home.

The address is:

Chapel Lawn Funeral Home

8178 Cline Avenue

Schererville. Indiana 46375

There will be information about a college fund for the girls at the service, if you want to contribute it will be arranged!

If you want to send a card or flowers send me a message and I will email you the address where Sue and his Family will get it.

[email protected]

The stories we tell are the essence of who we are. Les had more stories than anyone I have known in our wonderful hobby, and not just about marbles. We all have these stories and we love telling them. Telling stories is an art form, some of us are much better at it than others. Les was a master story teller! He’d get you on the hook and every time the hours flew by, it was 4:00 am again, the stories having rolled us through the night like marbles shot from a wrist rocket. We are much more than the sum total of our experiences but these stories not only shape how we perceive ourselves, but also how others perceive us .... as well remember us. Les will always be a part of us that nobody can take away, the stories live in all of us!

Two things that I loved about my good friend were very simple and don’t require a long story:-) Les loved his family more than language can possibly express. He loved to talk about his family:-)... Sue and all of his Children! Marbles were important to Les but his family was his life!

At the end of a show Les would look at me and ask me what I wanted but didn’t have the money for after five days of spending to much already:-) It seems as though I never left a show without him rolling me a marble from his keeper box. He'd say, just pay me when you can or by the next show. I was unable to attend the New Philly show this year, the last time I saw him was at the Columbus show last August. The last marble I got from him was a special cobra I found at the Hannibal show about five years ago but didn’t have enough cash for at the time. Les bought it and told me, someday I could have it. He called it the “String Cobra,” neither of us had ever seen another one like it. There is a great story behind this marble, if anyone wants to hear it just find me at a show and I will do my best to tell it with the passion of GreatMarbles:-)

stringcobra.jpg

BT

The last time I was able to spend any time with les was last year in Amana. We spent most of our time together that week and even sat up with a few others playing poker until breakfast time. At breakfast we joked about being up all night and how lon it had been for any of us doing that. I remember jokingly telling Les that this was the only way I could get any money out of him. We had a wonderful week together in Amana and I very much enjoyed Les.

As has been said already, Les was a true mentor, friend and asset to the marble community. He will be very sadly missed by all.

Our thoughts are with Sue and the girls and wish that there was something we could do to help. Since we know there really is not Sue, please know that you and the girls are in our thoughts and nothing but wonderful memories of Les will help us.

Good-bye Les and thank you for everything you ahve done.

Sincerely,

Del and Julie Morgan

When I first started collecting seriously on Ebay 5-6 years ago, greatmarbles was the guy who was selling the most incredible marbles, that I could never have afforded. He would take the most impressive pictures of the marbles and had such good description, I learned great deal of information about good marbles from him. I always looked up to his auctions and when he gave up listing on Ebay, it was very dissapointing. I had couple of private dealings with him long distance and I was looking forward to meet him in person at my first Amana show this year. I learned the bad news in Amana show and was hoping that he would get better all this time. My condolences to his family. I am very sad with the news.

Sami Arim

Scoop pointed out to me tonight that that Carianne, Abby and Krystal have only been referred to as the girls. Sorry for this oversight! Les spoke of all his children on long road trips and at the shows. His son's name is Rob and the twins names are Renee and Rachel. Les also has two children through marriage...Bill and Becky. Like many others have mentioned I to have watched Carianne and Abby grow up and they are wonderful people with wonderful collections of their own:-)...so is and does Krystal:-) I hope I did not leave anyone out, if I did... Sue please let me know!

We are all thinking of you all, Sue, Krystal, Carianne, Abby, Rob, Renee, Rachel, Bill, Becky and the rest of les' family

BT

I'm so sorry to hear this news. Like everybody here, Les was one of my favorite marble people. He was always willing to help, always encouraging, always laughing... what a great guy.

Sue, you and the rest of your family will be in my thoughts and prayers... I hope you gain some comfort from what has been written here by so many people whose lives Les touched.

I know God will have his big loving arms wrapped around all of you in your grief...

Anita Reitz

My sincere condolences to Sue and the girls. I considered Les a true friend, & mentor.

I always liked the way he would get when you tried to get a deal better than he already made to you.

That ARE YOU KIDDING ME? LOOK He will be truely missed by me.

Maybe the Big guy can teach the other Big Guy about marbles.

I am so sorry.

Ray Starkey

aka marblemiser

The marble community has taken quite a blow at the loss of Les. As for our family, the shows will never be the same. Even though we had collected marbles for many years, we were introduced to the marble community by Les, and we learned a great deal from him. I knew beyond the shadow of a doubt that I could go to him with a question or a situation to get honest answers. His character spoke volumes of the man.

He was instrumental in helping to start and nurture the Indiana Marble Show and Club with his support.

There was no doubt, however, that where his heart truly lied, though, in the love of his family. We spent many hours speaking of his concerns and his pride in his wife and children. Our prayers our with them all.

I for one will miss that smile, that laugh and his friendship!!

Beth Morris

Guest WHITEY BULGER

met les a long time ago at an auction in penn. he drove all the way there to bid on a numbered sulphide. there were a lot of collectors there. he brought a lot of marbles to show and or sell. we were all at the back of the auction house checking the great marbles he brought. buying and selling with him.. the auctioneer got a little mad at the business les was doing. he had better marbles and prices than the auction had..auctioneer said he wanted his percentage. i think he was serious..lol

saw les many times after at shows and auctions, he truly was a good man . more than fair . the marble world will miss him dearly.

thoughts and prayers to his family.

When I first heard the news of Les's passing, it was indeed a sickening feeling. What an indescribable loss for his family, his friends, and the marble community. You often hear the expression "larger than life" but you rarely have the good fortune to meet someone like that, let alone have the tremendous luck to be able to call him friend. I will always treasure his smile, his generosity, and the pride he had for his lovely family. My heart truly aches for them, and my prayers will be with them all.

Royal Morse

I was shocked by the news that Les had passed away.

Les was one of my favorite people in the marble collecting world. I have so many memories of Les and stories about him (as do many who knew him), that I can't even begin to record them all here.

My first memory of Les is from the Columbus show in 1990. He stopped at my table and we started chatting. He said he had lost his entire marble collection in a fire and was starting to build it up again. It's amazing what he accomplished in the following 15 years.

The last time I spent significant time with Les was during the Clum auction last September. He was having a great time bidding during the auction and was really happy about some of the buys he got. Although, I think he had more fun selling marbles out of the back of his truck before and after the auction each day! I'll never forget the poker game we had in his hotel room the night between the two auction days.

Those intervening years have seen a lot of marbles change hands between the two of us. I bought a lot from Les, sold him a lot, and he has been a consignor in my auctions for a long, long time. It was always a treat coming to a show and stepping into his room, because you always knew you were going to see some great marbles, and get a fair deal from Les. And he could find marbles "out in the wild" like you wouldn't believe. Someone once told me that there wasn't a marble for sale within 500 miles of Les that he didn't know about.

The one marble that I bought from Les that I will treasure the most (and the one that shows the kind of person Les was) was a Christensen Agate handgathered that I bought from him at the Amana 2004 show. I had pulled a bunch of marbles for him to give me a price and the CAC was in with them. He picked it up and said "I've had that marble in that case for a couple of shows now and no one has even looked at it. You know what that is, right." I said, "Yeh, its one of those Christensen handgathereds. I'm going to put it in my collection". He said, "No one else even looked at it, you can have it for 5 bucks". Needless to say I'll never part with that one :-)

It broke my heart when I heard the news about Les a couple of days ago. The marble collecting world has a lost a collector and dealer of enormous stature. The shows will never be the same without him there.

Sarah and my deepest sympathies go out to Sue, Krystal, Carianne, Abby and the rest of his family. Les will be sorely missed!

Les was larger than life.

My first interaction with him was Hannibal 2003.

Chris Robinson and I shared a table next to him.

We talked about patents and variations in different marbles.

I went into overload with all he shared.

He didn't know me from adam, but he handed me a CA Cobra so I could see what beauties they really are.

He was a giver, an educator and an ambassador.

The next time we met was in KC for Marble Crazy 2004.

I brought a gun case of marbles I made and a box of cast-offs.

Initially, he looked them over and handed them back with a non-plus look on his face.

After talking awhile about marble construction, he asked to see the marbles again.

He picked through the marbles and set aside a few for someone special.

The following day he came out to Moon Marble to see a demonstration on the marble machine.

We talked more about marbles and glass.

A few months later at Amana 2004, I stopped in his room first to show him some new developments.

He opened the case and said he had to call a friend of his.

I left the room so that he and his buddy could look over the marbles in private.

As I walked down the hallway from his room, I ran into his friend.

After making the rounds, I stopped in an we made a transaction.

He even took the time to tell me why he bought what he bought.

I never saw Les after that show.

I owe him a debt of gratitude for being honest with me.

God speed.

Sincerely,

John McCormick

Shamrock Marbles

Alan has posted a wonderful tribute to Les on his site! There is current information and will be more information coming about how to help Les’ family out during this difficult time. Thank you to all who have helped to make this a living tribute to the Big Guy!

BT