Vitro boulder? Catseye?

TravelersMibs

25 minutes ago, chicagocyclist said:

The marble machine's only make the glass glob round.  The clear/seedy (bubbles) of the glass occurs in the furnace and how the glass is prepared.

That's really cool...  What about when it's just one bubble? It's the first I've ever owned. 

This is a 14mm mib

20220809_151703.jpg

1 minute ago, akroorka said:

That is a cool bubble.
As I understand it, the longer the glass is “cooked” the fewer/smaller the bubbles would be. There are of course exceptions to every rule, that is just the nature of marble making.
Marble—On!!

Thanks, it came in a "grab bag" ebay find... it stuck out instantly 😁

14 minutes ago, TravelersMibs said:

Thanks, it came in a "grab bag" ebay find... it stuck out instantly 😁

Supposedly, Mr. Arnold Fielder, of Akro Agate, used potatoes in the batch glass to reduce bubbling in the glass. (Reference: American Machine-Made Marbles by Dean Six, et.al.

• Award 1

1 hour ago, TravelersMibs said:

That's really cool...  What about when it's just one bubble? It's the first I've ever owned. 

This is a 14mm mib

20220809_151703.jpg

Well, that would indicate to me a handmade marble where they put a bubble in the middle of the marble intentionally.  Machine-rounded process would notallow a large bubble like that to stay in the middle so perfectly.  it's hard to tell from the single photo but that would be my guess.

• Wow 1

31 minutes ago, Carowill said:

Supposedly, Mr. Arnold Fielder, of Akro Agate, used potatoes in the batch glass to reduce bubbling in the glass. (Reference: American Machine-Made Marbles by Dean Six, et.al.

Yes, I have heard that, as well. I also I just learned that in small batch glass a potato has been used to remove the bubbles from the glass.   Other secret methods are using chemicals to remove the bubbles. Seedy glass  indicates a cheaper glass that is not prepared as thoroughly.  Thing is, I really like the bubbles in the glass!!!

• Like 1

Vitro never bought any marble machines from Peltier.  Peltier was in business longer than Vitro.  A marble machine has absolutely nothing to do with bubbles in a marble. The bubbles are a result of how the glass is made and is cooked, correct or not correct.  Good clear crystal glass has no bubbles, none. 

• Award 2

The majority of the machine made marbles were made from cullet(scrap glass).  Raw batch glass requires sand but not always from a river.  The sand is only one ingredient of several in making glass. Felspar was a big ingredient along with others. Plus the correct amounts of each ingredient is important. Then the temperature is important, how fast it raises and how long to reach the goal. Then the exhaust plays a important role. If the gas air mixtures are off it can affect the final glass. Many many things affect the final glass. Get one wrong and it doesn't make any difference what sand was used. At Mid Atlantic of WV, I saw two, twenty ton batches(40 tons)of crystal glass completely lost because of one exhaust fan had the belts broke. Both batches were to seedy, to many bubbles to use.  They made and lost two batches before finding the problem. 

• Award 3

7 hours ago, wvrons said:

Vitro never bought any marble machines from Peltier.  Peltier was in business longer than Vitro.  A marble machine has absolutely nothing to do with bubbles in a marble. The bubbles are a result of how the glass is made and is cooked, correct or not correct.  Good clear crystal glass has no bubbles, none. 

Very much appreciated for the clarification @wvronsI must have gotten my information crossed in regards to the time-line of the companies and where the marble machines went.

Classic Ron Shepherd...nothing like experience, hands on. It's the stuff that us collectors would have loved to have been a part of. 

I am absolutely honored, like the rest of us, too have this knowledge at our fingertips too absorb. Knowledge of production, the ins and outs, the pros and cons. Stuff we will never be able to physically DO ourselves.

Back when I was being trained for my job, a job I eventually became lead supervisor for, I remember my former supervisor telling me as he trained me that he was always a firm believer in hands on training vs. other means....

"Tell me and I might forget"

"Show me once and I might remember"

"Show me a few times and I will always know how"

So thankful that we have a life's experience IN WRITING so that it won't require those last two steps!

Thanks Ron 😊👍

• Award 1

16 hours ago, wvrons said:

The majority of the machine made marbles were made from cullet(scrap glass).  Raw batch glass requires sand but not always from a river.  The sand is only one ingredient of several in making glass. Felspar was a big ingredient along with others. Plus the correct amounts of each ingredient is important. Then the temperature is important, how fast it raises and how long to reach the goal. Then the exhaust plays a important role. If the gas air mixtures are off it can affect the final glass. Many many things affect the final glass. Get one wrong and it doesn't make any difference what sand was used. At Mid Atlantic of WV, I saw two, twenty ton batches(40 tons)of crystal glass completely lost because of one exhaust fan had the belts broke. Both batches were to seedy, to many bubbles to use.  They made and lost two batches before finding the problem. 

!!!cool info!!!