Peltier NLR??? Possible Green Rebel or am I way off again? Light Fine AV with Some Translucently

NeozLilBallz

I want to understand how to see the vitro faster Instead of countless headaches filled hours stairing at a marble through the loupe and the laptop researching and going though my books such as this and still ultimately coming up with incorrect I.D. can anybody help me lol or point me in a direction to study and get better, its honestly frustrating because I'm trying so hard, maybe too hard I guess lol is there a book called "Marble Identification For Dummies"? I feel like there needs to be lol

59 minutes ago, NeozLilBallz said:

I want to understand how to see the vitro faster Instead of countless headaches filled hours stairing at a marble through the loupe and the laptop researching and going though my books such as this and still ultimately coming up with incorrect I.D. can anybody help me lol or point me in a direction to study and get better, its honestly frustrating because I'm trying so hard, maybe too hard I guess lol is there a book called "Marble Identification For Dummies"? I feel like there needs to be lol

I was in your shoes just about 2 years ago and I only moved to slippers now I still got lots to learn go through Steph’s study hall and lots of old ID posts and keep having fun doing it , and find out if there is any  marble shows going on around you 😎

1 hour ago, Dave 13 said:

I was in your shoes just about 2 years ago and I only moved to slippers now I still got lots to learn go through Steph’s study hall and lots of old ID posts and keep having fun doing it , and find out if there is any  marble shows going on around you 😎

I have done that countless times hours among hours lol but of course will continue until hopefully something clicks hopefully. No Marble shows close enough for me to go too to poor for now but hopefully one day I will make one. It is fun but would be a whole lot more fun if I felt like I was making progress lmfao. thank you, I appreciate all the tips and help.

• Like 1

Don`t worry. Marbles are a complex study, and all of us - no matter how long we`ve been at it - have something we have to learn and absorb nearly every day. It`s part of what is so engaging about marbles.

Don`t try to learn everything at first. It`ll never work! Pick a marble type/company in Steph`s Study Hall, or in the Archives, or in a book, get yourself a nice cup of coffee, put your marbles within easy reach, and just try to pick out your marbles that look closest to the examples shown.

Some marble companies have such distinct styles that they`re easier to start with, I think. When I first started studying machine-mades (I started by collecting the old Germans exclusively) I found that Akro and Peltier were the best for me to start with. Even just things like "only Akro made corkscrews" and "they never made flames;" with Peltier it was their distinctive feathered slags I first fell for, and looked for those.

Start small. And don`t worry about your learning curve. It was once the same for all of us!

:computer-22:

• Award 1

51 minutes ago, cheese said:

This one's actually a JABO.

image.png.f42ff1218f476b2a19368fbce94fec8c.png ..... Foiled again !!!

"Thanks Chuck"    :blink:    I think ??

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ann said:

Don`t worry. Marbles are a complex study, and all of us - no matter how long we`ve been at it - have something we have to learn and absorb nearly every day. It`s part of what is so engaging about marbles.

Don`t try to learn everything at first. It`ll never work! Pick a marble type/company in Steph`s Study Hall, or in the Archives, or in a book, get yourself a nice cup of coffee, put your marbles within easy reach, and just try to pick out your marbles that look closest to the examples shown.

Some marble companies have such distinct styles that they`re easier to start with, I think. When I first started studying machine-mades (I started by collecting the old Germans exclusively) I found that Akro and Peltier were the best for me to start with. Even just things like "only Akro made corkscrews" and "they never made flames;" with Peltier it was their distinctive feathered slags I first fell for, and looked for those.

Start small. And don`t worry about your learning curve. It was once the same for all of us!

:computer-22:

Oh, I have done all those things many times lol, I have been at this for over 2 years fairly relentlessly lol. i got frustrated early as everything kept being Vacor so I threw everything out the window and decided to learn all about Vacor so that I could at least not be fooled by them but eh it didn't work lmfao. Marbles are hard lol, but I absolutely love them and oh boy do I love to hate them hahaha

• Haha 1

IDK what it is, but never seen a Jabo with translucent-transparent brown, plus a string of red in there, plus a rich opaque green blending and mixing too. With white it's four colors.  

BTW Neo, when you blow up a photo it just makes it blurry. Rather, take the shot with higher pixels to increase size and visibility.

• Like 1

I agree with Ann, start with those better companies with distinctive styles that are fairly easy to ID. Pelt NLRs, Old style Marble Kings, Akro Popeyes and corks, CAC swirls and the old Germans. Study study study, and notice what makes each of these very distinctive compared with the cheaper WV swirls and Jabos and Vacors. Like Ann said, it’s a life long learning process, not like China where there is a stamp on the back of each piece!

jon

• Care 1

It worked for me. I still have blinding gaps in my knowledge of machine-mades, but it doesn`t bother me a bit. I bought a few small lots of machine-mades in the beginning, just to get a feel for them, but after that I only bought Individual marbles, considering my money better spent in that way. I really bought only Peltier, Akro, and Alley. And Champion Furnace Swirls when I could get them. I decided I wasn`t all that interested in other companies, just buying the occasional Vitro, Ravenswood,MK, Champion etc. that really appealed to me as individual marbles, not because they`d been made by a particular company. So I have some nice examples of other companies` marbles, but that`s about it. I doubt you`ll ever see me commenting in an ID post about any of them. That approach allowed me to buy more and nicer examples by the companies I was really interested in (including some decent CACs that I would not have otherwise been able to afford). And some nice contemporary glass artists` marbles. I`m happy and satisfied by that decision I made long ago. Besides, as an art historian, I know you can`t know everything about everything, but knowing a lot about a few things is fun!

And of course, over time, you do start to soak things up about other companies - I do read all the ID posts, no matter what they`re about . . . .

• Like 2
  • Care 1

4 hours ago, ann said:

It worked for me. I still have blinding gaps in my knowledge of machine-mades, but it doesn`t bother me a bit. I bought a few small lots of machine-mades in the beginning, just to get a feel for them, but after that I only bought Individual marbles, considering my money better spent in that way. I really bought only Peltier, Akro, and Alley. And Champion Furnace Swirls when I could get them. I decided I wasn`t all that interested in other companies, just buying the occasional Vitro, Ravenswood,MK, Champion etc. that really appealed to me as individual marbles, not because they`d been made by a particular company. So I have some nice examples of other companies` marbles, but that`s about it. I doubt you`ll ever see me commenting in an ID post about any of them. That approach allowed me to buy more and nicer examples by the companies I was really interested in (including some decent CACs that I would not have otherwise been able to afford). And some nice contemporary glass artists` marbles. I`m happy and satisfied by that decision I made long ago. Besides, as an art historian, I know you can`t know everything about everything, but knowing a lot about a few things is fun!

And of course, over time, you do start to soak things up about other companies - I do read all the ID posts, no matter what they`re about . . . .

So true, “can’t know everything about everything” and therefore, narrowing your scope makes good sense!

• Care 1