Iowa Digging

William

We had a little adventure today...found an abandoned farmhouse, now collapsed, along with 2 outbuildings, one collapsed and 1 still standing. I think the one still standing isn't as old as the others.

Anyway after our discovery, of course we started exploring. Here  are some of the goodies we found, along with pics of the collapsed farmhouse and shed...

20221010_142612.jpg

20221010_145509.jpg

20221010_142455.jpg

20221010_142204.jpg

20221010_142031.jpg

20221010_141853.jpg

20221010_141837.jpg

20221010_141622.jpg

20221010_163155.jpg

20221010_163215.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

I know it sounds gross but was there an outhouse anywhere to be found ?? 

Not that we initially saw. This place is about 3/4 mile back in the woods, out in the country obviously. We knew about it because Patty used too walk the trail through the woods close by where this place is. Her parents used to own a place down the road from this area years ago.

The lady that used to own this property passed not too many years ago, passing it on too her brother. She had tons of land, never living in this place. It was just let go too become overgrown and fell apart. I know the house itself dates back too the late 1800's, and hasn't been lived in for probably 60-70 years. 

It's been long forgotten by anyone except for her brother, who doesn't give a hoot about anything there. 

1 hour ago, William said:

Not that we initially saw. This place is about 3/4 mile back in the woods, out in the country obviously. We knew about it because Patty used too walk the trail through the woods close by where this place is. Her parents used to own a place down the road from this area years ago.

The lady that used to own this property passed not too many years ago, passing it on too her brother. She had tons of land, never living in this place. It was just let go too become overgrown and fell apart. I know the house itself dates back too the late 1800's, and hasn't been lived in for probably 60-70 years. 

It's been long forgotten by anyone except for her brother, who doesn't give a hoot about anything there. 

Man, go to the county courthouse an see if you can get an old map of the property (should be publicly available) and see if you can find the outhouse location, an old bottle digger I used to hang out w/ that's basically all he dug, we used steel rods he pushed into the ground till he hit something then we dug. Anything and everything they had in their pockets fell into that outhouse hole including marbles, money, old whiskey bottles etc.. a gold mine if nobody has dug it yet ??

• Award 1

22 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Man, go to the county courthouse an see if you can get an old map of the property (should be publicly available) and see if you can find the outhouse location, an old bottle digger I used to hang out w/ that's basically all he dug, we used steel rods he pushed into the ground till he hit something then we dug. Anything and everything they had in their pockets fell into that outhouse hole including marbles, money, old whiskey bottles etc.. a gold mine if nobody has dug it yet ??

I already mentioned that too her because I want too find out when it was settled....I'm heading back tommorow too do some more digging. I think I just tapped the surface with those blue Mason's and lids in one spot. Also found a dump pile about 50 yards north in the woods 👍

3 minutes ago, William said:

I already mentioned that too her because I want too find out when it was settled....I'm heading back tommorow too do some more digging. I think I just tapped the surface with those blue Mason's and lids in one spot. Also found a dump pile about 50 yards north in the woods 👍

Wow !! good luck Brother !!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, William said:

Eyes are peeled. Already sporting a few cuts from glass 😬

Bust out the shovel & "kid gloves" a big cut will put the cabosh on any further diggin plans, be careful  Brother !!

This and the other toys in your pix like the tiny char etc. are a good sign

image.png.97a652f4b71f290d7e60c7ca1a83f9dc.png

10 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Bust out the shovel & "kid gloves" a big cut will put the cabosh on any further diggin plans, be careful  Brother !!

This and the other toys in your pix like the tiny char etc. are a good sign

image.png.97a652f4b71f290d7e60c7ca1a83f9dc.png

Yes, the marble was a good sign, along with the chair. Also came across a weathered doll without hair. Another peculiar piece was that little Japanese figure in the same picture as the chair. It sits just above the lamp finial. It will be included in the round of "cleaned up" pics.

1 minute ago, William said:

Car's loaded up with the proper excavating necessities and hitting the road for another afternoon dig 😊

I'm exited for you Brother !!  Be careful, watch out for covered wells (or uncovered) me and my bottle buddy ran into a couple "unfilled" and hard to spot until we were right on top of em.

Thinking we found where either an outhouse or pump house used to be...too tired too pursue digging it today. Got a few more cool little items and a buttload of antique canning jars (13 blue), along with various other small jars and bottles. All were dug from 1 too 2 feet down in the collapsed shed.

Also found a few more antique tools, a decent sized animal trap, another bunch of zinc/porcelain lids, and a green, ribbed shaker. Also picked up a few of those big metal stars that once adorned the house. There are still some attached too what is left standing of the house (see pictures)

Gonna rest, then maybe post some pics. Might be tomorrow because I am bushed!

Today's haul of glass (the first pic), and a bunch of pictures of stuff from both today and yesterday that I have yet to clean...really happy with the 2 big blue Mason's not being broken! Don't think we're going out there tommorow so probably a cleaning day 😊

20221011_172821.jpg

20221011_172949.jpg

20221011_173000.jpg

20221011_173013.jpg

20221011_173034.jpg

20221011_173101.jpg

20221011_173144.jpg

20221011_173205.jpg

20221011_173241.jpg

20221011_173313.jpg

20221011_173349.jpg

20221011_173405.jpg

20221011_173417.jpg

20221011_173453.jpg

20221011_173530.jpg

• Wow 1

11 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Are those Andirons ??  Did ya find em in the fireplace ??  "Diggin" you lucky dog  !!

image.png.a9214b8546dc20d8c009937ce73928b5.png

If you check out the 3rd pic I posted when I started this thread you will see that these adorned some woodwork that was affixed too the outer brick. These few I was able to pull from the rubble. It's kinda tricky as I'm sure what is still standing isn't very stable. I'm not going to find out by chasing the others I see!

It was pretty windy out there today. So many downed trees and branches from over the years laying everywhere. Walnuts were dropping like crazy too.  Nothing like playing dodgeball with walnuts plus listening for the dreaded cracking of wood 😬

• Wow 1

11 hours ago, akroorka said:

That old sprinkler is killer--you know that there are nuts like us that collect them?

Sprinkler--On!!

Once I carefully clean it up I might attempt to CAREFULLY bend that one stem back into place. Maybe. Definitely don't want to damage it any further. If it has to stay bent, so be it!

1 hour ago, William said:

If you check out the 3rd pic I posted when I started this thread you will see that these adorned some woodwork that was affixed too the outer brick. These few I was able to pull from the rubble. It's kinda tricky as I'm sure what is still standing isn't very stable. I'm not going to find out by chasing the others I see!

It was pretty windy out there today. So many downed trees and branches from over the years laying everywhere. Walnuts were dropping like crazy too.  Nothing like playing dodgeball with walnuts plus listening for the dreaded cracking of wood 😬

Yeah, now I see em, man be careful Brother, looks like they were quite a ways up there ?? Glad you both are safe and sound  :)