Iowa Digging

William

Took a break from digging today too play catch up with the cleaning so didn't go down there...Patty did about 2pm. Thinking she's wrapping it up and on her way back.

The plan today was too investigate further that player piano. Some were actually coin operated so ya never know? There was also some more digging too do at the shed site that gave up the 75mm shell.

We'll see what comes back 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akroorka said:

This one is just killer---possibly cloisonné on silver.
Great find!!!

cloisonne.jpg

Also a possibility is what`s called German nickle silver - it dosen`t tarnish like silver - and a light coat of enamel.

I`d say it`s more probable than silver on this type of lid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ann said:

Also a possibility is what`s called German nickle silver - it dosen`t tarnish like silver - and a light coat of enamel.

I`d say it`s more probable than silver on this type of lid.

Thank you for the info! I'm guessing it must have been on a shelf with the Mason jars as I found it buried with them? As I have dug all these jars up, I have noticed a "falling" pattern too how they are laying in the ground alongside or on top of others that are sitting upright.

Or possibly the jars could have been stacked on top of one another on the floor? Haven't really seen any evidence of rotted wood or anything else that would suggest that shelves existed. It's an interesting puzzle. Nonetheless, it was kept by itself, I'm thinking it was equally admired by it's previous owner 😊

58 minutes ago, William said:

. . . . it was kept by itself, I'm thinking it was equally admired by it's previous owner 😊

And rightfully so!

It looks like it`s the top for the "Marvelous Cold Cream" jar - is that right?

If so, it would be perfectly at home on a lady`s dresser . . .

18 minutes ago, ann said:

And rightfully so!

It looks like it`s the top for the "Marvelous Cold Cream" jar - is that right?

If so, it would be perfectly at home on a lady`s dresser . . .

Found as you see it, so I am assuming the top and jar go together...really happy about it!

A few more items, including a  few from her solo trip yesterday. No luck with any coins from the player piano, if in fact it was one of the coin operated models. She thinks she might have spotted a possible way down into the front part of the basement. I'll check it out on the next trip, possibly tomorrow.

Anyway, pics....

20221014_132008.jpg

20221014_131718.jpg

20221014_131730.jpg

20221014_131749.jpg

20221014_131615.jpg

20221014_131412.jpg

20221014_131439.jpg

20221014_131515.jpg

Is that some kinda old mole trap ??

image.png.bd2ed51faccabcf88ef6abcdc85c95c0.png

Might be easy to date this one, they haven't put ammonia inhalants (smelling salts I believe) in first aid kits in a while, nice bunch of finds William, thanks for sharing, the next best thing to being there  :thup:

image.png.4ef5422047e3b7b0735b47e9ebb91825.png

1 minute ago, Chad G. said:

Might be easy to date this one, they haven't put ammonia inhalants (smelling salts I believe) in first aid kits in a while, nice bunch of finds William, thanks for sharing, the next best thing to being there  :thup:

Mole trap is a possibility I suppose, smaller critters for sure. Yep, the first aid kit is cool. Don't know when I'll research it, maybe tonight sometime. And the mailbox is cool. Found it sticking out of the ground behind the house. I'll have to see if I can figure out when they stopped putting "Approved by the Postmaster General" on em...I really like the little flip-open slot for mail in the front 👍

Research after all lol....but with the mailbox. It's quite obvious that it's got some age, easily mid 1950's or before. Here's what I learned in brief.

1915-1929

The No. 1 Mailbox (18.5 long,  6 wide,  7.5 high 

The No. 2 mailbox (23.5 long, 11 wide, 14 high)

1929-1936

The No. 1 size was discontinued due too a higher volume of package deliveries.

1936-1953

The No. 1 size was brought back, but tweaked a bit, but not totally sure when during this time frame the size was altered. 

So, I believe it falls before 1953, with a strong possibility that it existed before they went with strictly the No. 2 size. My gut is telling me early 1900's....

On 10/13/2022 at 5:45 PM, akroorka said:

This one we alway have known as a "Pickle Jar" or a "Peanut Butter" jar.

They were reused as canning jars because of the perfect fit regarding the canning tops.

Nice find!!

Pickle jar or peanut butter jar.jpg

No wonder I couldn't find a match when I briefly searched. Not a coffee jar...still cool like you said Art!

Wish the lid was in better shape. I  looked up those old IGA logos...pretty nice history! One things for sure, it's not coming off the jar. No way without causing further damage. Together forever!

19 hours ago, Chad G. said:

A Bell System Lineman's first aid kit...now I have too narrow down the time frame 👍

Our targets today...what used to be a small shed behind the house, plus returned to the only building still standing too dig where we found more tools and the 75mm....the spoils from today...a nice assortment. Really love the variety that were finding! The block was the only one like that we've seen. Thinking someone dumped it back there. She's going to make a planter out of it. A good day!

20221015_182612.jpg

20221015_182558.jpg

20221015_182542.jpg

20221015_182438.jpg

20221015_182421.jpg

20221015_182410.jpg

20221015_182357.jpg

20221015_182345.jpg

20221015_182303.jpg

20221015_182246.jpg

20221015_182236.jpg

20221015_182222.jpg

20221015_182209.jpg

• Wow 1

I've see a lot of those cinderblock squares used to build chimney's, kinda weird finding a lone ranger like that. The new find looks intriguing, older masonry work definitely, maybe you can borrow or rent a good metal detector from someone and look for coins or jewelry while ya dig ??  A good day indeed   :)

image.png.4130f04e53abb780b03b8b6c99f83ee0.png

Wow William I just caught up on this ...

How fun and what a rush ,awesome finds ,must be hard to stay away thanks for sharing your adventures. 

You are giving me the bug 🤯...it's cooling off and that is gold prospecting season here in the Mojave desert! Wandering through the hills swinging the gold bug metal detector . :Panic:

11 hours ago, Chad G. said:

I've see a lot of those cinderblock squares used to build chimney's, kinda weird finding a lone ranger like that. The new find looks intriguing, older masonry work definitely, maybe you can borrow or rent a good metal detector from someone and look for coins or jewelry while ya dig ??  A good day indeed   :)

image.png.4130f04e53abb780b03b8b6c99f83ee0.png

We found the block alongside one of the smallet collapsed buildings. It would be the little building in the first group of photos that I posted on this thread, the last 3 pictures of a structure. You can see the soil line on the side of it, showing how deep it had sunken into the ground. Every cavity in the block was full soil and weeds. What's interesting is that, as we have examined each structure, I am certain that they were constructed over a period of time and not at the same time. But judging from the stages of decay at each site,and what has been found, everything definitely dates pre-1950 IMO.

The structural remains that we discovered yesterday, that you speak of Chad, I think it might have been storage building or possibly a barn. I'll get better pictures next time, but it's old enough too where whatever wood was used in the walls and roof is long gone and beneath the soil. The one door that somehow remains upright could be latched from the outside.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tommy said:

Wow William I just caught up on this ...

How fun and what a rush ,awesome finds ,must be hard to stay away thanks for sharing your adventures. 

You are giving me the bug 🤯...it's cooling off and that is gold prospecting season here in the Mojave desert! Wandering through the hills swinging the gold bug metal detector . :Panic:

Definitely been a blast with so much more to be discovered!

Definitely not treasure hunting out in those old woods today...the winds are crazy today! The occasional creaking and popping from this old house of mine is telling me these are some pretty good gusts.

Last thing I'm going to be doing is running for my life from falling branches and old trees!