Iowa Digging

William

1 hour ago, akroorka said:

Ohhh--That is a lot of marbles William.

I will just bet that when you started this dig that you were hoping to find one:clap2:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsSuueEGQSM

This song will be stuck in hy head all day--I like to share😁.

Marble--On!!

Lol..I did reach out today too a vendor I am familiar with who specializes in rocks, minerals, fossils, etc....I have spoken with him before about a year ago and expressed some interest in working with me on identification and possibly dealing with me at some point. Waiting to hear back...he operates in at least a dozen locations in the tri state area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2022 at 7:16 PM, William said:

Only reason I am putting this here and nowhere else is because we spotted it out on the same land as the dig site.

2nd beehive this year!

Just it's temporary resting place until we get it sprayed and decide where to mount it.

16695080479351327551222272629618.jpg

16695080809683618182500494255426.jpg

Fascinating what those tiny creatures can do! I also have wasp nest hanging in my house I just put a eye hook in a beam and put the branch through it works great this year I took them down and gave them a shower!  lol ! 

waspnest.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gladys said:

Fascinating what those tiny creatures can do! I also have wasp nest hanging in my house I just put a eye hook in a beam and put the branch through it works great this year I took them down and gave them a shower!  lol ! 

waspnest.jpg

We use a extra strong hold hair spray on ours too preserve them. Otherwise over time they are prone to falling apart.

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

I cannot get beyond the beadboard ceiling Gladys---Love it!!

Very nice.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

good idea! wonder if that would help me from falling apart ? lol Thank you William for the tip!

We spray ours a couple times a year. Patty has had her first beehive for probably 8 years now, if not more. And she credits this longevity too Aquanet! Air tends too get pretty dry indoors and over time I'm sure these nests would fall apart. There's alot of honeycombs inside these things! I've seen a nest deteriorate from the bottom up and eventually the interior  starts falling out of the hole in the bottom.

Hives are tough to come by too! It's always first come first serve when one is found in the city limits. Chances are better in the wild but they sure are tough to find in the woods!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 10/10/2022 at 6:01 PM, William said:

Some of the haul, cleaned up. And yes, I found a marble!

16654427880179075503106660027492.jpg

A little late to the thread, but what a great site for relics William.  Quick question - is that a clear cod liver oil bottle in the upper left of photo?