Anyone wanna see some wirepulls?

There's an easy way to tell a wire pull from a horseshoe cat's eye - wire pulls have a single continuous ribbon. It looks like you have some really nice ones in this bunch. I agree with Jeff, they are probably European, but they are way nicer looking than Champion's version, IMO.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, chocomibs said:

Yeah the horseshoe ones are likely vitro and the others are probably Velliglass, I just really love these colors and patterns. I've a few that are single color or not very swirly. That bottom one is my favorite 

That last black one is pretty cool looking yea. I have some of the Vitro ones bagged;

Snapchat-34798080.jpg

Snapchat-319233909.jpg

• Like 4

These are a few of the only marbles that I still have from childhood - so they must date from the early 1960s. I presume they are c.7/8" Veiligglas?

I also have a bakelite solitaire board by Gibson with the smaller size wirepulls. I'll add a picture to this thread when I get 20230108_124313.thumb.jpg.89a5baff5f1efcfb1f7bb9fef65ea037.jpgback from a break in Scotland.

• Like 2

Veiligglas are becoming very collectible. They are bought up fast at most shows. The opaque ones are the most sought after.  Nola brought several home from the recent Indy show.  She weighed all her marbles from the Indy show, they weighed over 30 lbs.  Most were 5/8 inch.  If she likes one, she likes 12 of the same even twelve times better.  

• Like 1

So here's the bakelite board with 33 5/8" wirepulls. Box says HPGibson London and I'm guessing 1950s. These are easy to find in the UK. I picked this up years ago just to have an example in my board collection. I had no idea who Veiligglas were or that the marbles cane from Holland. The jar in the pic is full of Veiligglas wirepulls that I picked up in job lots when buying German handmade over the years.

UK must have been a big market for Veiligglas!

20230110_173902.thumb.jpg.37833decac1b5d3fcf890d3087e778e8.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, crashbelt said:

I had no idea who Veiligglas were or that the marbles cane from Holland. . .

Neat bakelite board. And very few, if any, of us knew about Veiligglas production in Holland prior to Winnie @winnie (may she rest in peace) gracing us with her presence here and doing considerable research. You may want to check out her old posts for more info.

• Like 1