Am I looking at a cobra guinea?

chocomibs

13 minutes ago, browncat73 said:

Seriously if someone posted this already for 20K they are a straight up ahole. The condition alone on that thing

Get people riled up with a ridiculous price.  Start a buzz (this board is helping). Let the buzz build.  Cut the price for a (still silly) ridiculously priced, beat-up Jabo.

Some gullible fish will bite.

I've mentioned elsewhere it's nearly 11/16 

With all due respect I've gotten akro, CAC, peltier, jabo, torch swirl (new one for me). I'm still open to other suggestions. So far the closest to me is the one in my marble book that says submarine, and it does look like one. Atm I'm going with that. Would love to see other comparisons

And that's what I'm trying to find out! It's easier when you have a history of listings to go by. I also have been studying various aspects of social psychology with advertising and algorithms (not for fun, writing a paper on it) and this is a niche I'm familiar enough with to tinker around. 

People getting upset is valuable information lol. 

You can sell a marble for what ever you want.  Just like a Jabo for $102.50. As a Alley Agate Swirl Pennsboro Nola Dig Marble 23/32 htf rare.  Ebay ended listings # 175538229060.  Plus others.  I guess Jabos are worth more than I thought.  One just sold for that recently.   

Right here is how all this got started because of comments right here on this board.  Must be a big flea to make bites that big and deep.  I would not be upset unless, I was the one who bought it.  Really cool to have this marble on this board and see some new collector get ripped off again.  Sure, that will benefit and promote marble collecting for all of us today and in the future.  A prime example why more and more marble collectors hate Ebay marble listings more every year.  Ebay marble sales is just a experiment for some. At the buyers expense and loss.  I don't think anyone here can say that Ebay marble listings and sales have done nothing but get worse each year past. Valuable information, is correct information. 

• Award 2

Antiques are an odd bunch. We're in a period of inflation where the pricing of things has rapidly increased, and I think antiques and non-commodities are catching up to that. Plus as time goes on, older things naturally become rare and harder to find, more valuable. Wholeheartedly agree pricing on ebay is inflated, and I don't think it's going to last. Something I've dabbled with over the years as a niche hobby seems to be growing, and with that shifting interests. Most collectors a few years ago wouldn't want jabo, or vacor, but as newer collectors jump on they develop different values and interests. 2 yrs ago I couldn't find any slags, now they're a buck a pop if that. I don't understand it. 

Doing auctions starting low have left me with many sellers reselling my items for higher prices, which doesn't feel good to see. So now I start high and work backwards, to see what the market dictates until I get an idea on what things are worth. there has to be a fair middle ground where nobody feels ripped off, what other way to find it?

Supply seems to be a big factor. I've noticed for example Popeyes have significantly dropped in price because collectors are trying to unload them for $$$. I don't think anyone even knows what's out there, what's "rare" and what's just held onto. Just last month I watched the price of an akro superman shooter go from 65 to 25, because someone listed 10 at a single time. I don't get it. But I'm trying to

• Sad 1

That's also why I accept all  returns on me, because I'm going to get things wrong. And I'm open to correcting anything anyone feels unhappy about.

My methods aren't meant to offend anyone. I mean, I'm kind of on here trying to id things properly so I don't screw anyone over. 

That being said, it's difficult to pin things down when you receive 6 different answers for something, it kind of leaves one fishing in the dark. And drives the point home that people generally don't know how to id or define what these are. Just today I had someone tell me the month and year of a jabo run for a marble I asked for id only for them to be corrected. And all I can do is follow through on what is suggested to me. 

I'd love a friendly message if you notice a listing is misidentified, along with suggestions on where to learn more. keyword being friendly. Generally I'm going to disregard disrespect. But marble books are also ridiculously priced and people hang on to dozens of examples of ones that would be great to see in hand, it seems like everyone is out to squeeze a buck out of collectors. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, chocomibs said:

But I am also trying to figure out what this is. Feels like we've gone a bit off topic. If yinz wanna start a separate thread on my eBay store, that's cool with me. I'm always open to feedback. 

If you don't know what it is - why did you decide to list it as an ultra-rare marble at a price of $20,000.00?  Claiming that it is the closest match in a book is simply not credible.  Why did you decide it was ultra rare - instead of very common one?  Why $20,000.00 instead of $0.50?

Some people's motivations and ethics speak for themselves.

• Like 2
  • Award 1

I totally agree with Allan and Ron. If you are gonna sell marbles like you know what they are it should be with integrity and respect for the marble community. There are many knowledgeable sellers and most of their auctions start very low and end up selling for big dollars .

And if you are worried about someone else reselling the marble you sold for more than ya got don't sell em . Seems marbles go through phases some get hot orhers cool off . Just like all old antique toy's..

Just my 2 cents on the subject 

• Like 1

There's two ways market pricing works and it's based on supply and demand, obviously. one is you set a price, and if there are no cheaper prices available and someone pays that price that's what it's worth.

The second is you can buy or hoard several of it, and then set the price high because there's no other option to purchase it. That's how the diamond industry works. 

I personally don't agree with the second one. What's sad to me is when people have or hold onto pieces that aren't really that rare and inflate prices by selling them slowly...kind of like selling 13 guineas over the course of a year. People that hoard like that are the reason prices are so high. 

My 2 cents. 

4 hours ago, Alan said:

If you don't know what it is - why did you decide to list it as an ultra-rare marble at a price of $20,000.00?  Claiming that it is the closest match in a book is simply not credible.  Why did you decide it was ultra rare - instead of very common one?  Why $20,000.00 instead of $0.50?

Some people's motivations and ethics speak for themselves.

Scroll up, I've stated this. 

19 minutes ago, chocomibs said:

There's two ways market pricing works and it's based on supply and demand, obviously. one is you set a price, and if there are no cheaper prices available and someone pays that price that's what it's worth.

The second is you can buy or hoard several of it, and then set the price high because there's no other option to purchase it. That's how the diamond industry works. 

I personally don't agree with the second one. What's sad to me is when people have or hold onto pieces that aren't really that rare and inflate prices by selling them slowly...kind of like selling 13 guineas over the course of a year. People that hoard like that are the reason prices are so high. 

My 2 cents. 

Allow me to distill what you said above for readers in a hurry:

"Money, money, money and money".

Your singular focus and interest is obvious by your own writings.  I can recommend that you stick to the diamond industry that you seem to know so well.

By your own admission - you are attempting to sell a marble that you have no idea what it is by claiming it is extraordinarily rare in the desperate attempt to pocket $20,000.00 before anyone wakes up to reality.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chocomibs said:

What's sad to me is when people have or hold onto pieces that aren't really that rare and inflate prices by selling them slowly...kind of like selling 13 guineas over the course of a year. People that hoard like that are the reason prices are so high

That's what's sad to you? What about this: Someone who has a beat up marble and asks the most knowledgeable community what it is. While receiving multiple answers and debate over who made it, the person grabs the first mention of a high end maker and runs to list it at prices 4-500 times higher than what it would be if it was what they claimed in an attempt to scam the same community that's helping him. And the person doesn't even know what it is yet. That didn't stop them from advertising it as such and putting a BIN on it for an immediate sale. Then claim that they are conducting an "experiment" on us when their greed is exposed. 

We have IDed a lot of marbles for you, a service that you profit from, yet we ask for nothing in return. We do, however, appreciate the info given here not being taken out of context and contorted to rip off the community we are part of. 

• Award 5