Am I looking at a cobra guinea?

chocomibs

On 1/18/2023 at 1:19 PM, akroorka said:

If, and I mean if, this is a CAC.
I believe “Striped Transparent” would be the name to call it. (maybe a "submarine")

I appreciate all opinions and they are needed here.
Nice find!
Marble—On!!

I feel some-what responsible for this and I will own up to it.
So I quoted myself again.
I gave my ID estimation of this marble with a couple of if’s. It is not a Guinea, no way, no time in my estimation. I researched it as I do with all questionable marble ID’s from a Master Glass Cats-eye to a CAC top notch Flame.
It may be a CAC or not but I would be willing to pay $35.00 to find out and that is about it. Taking what I mentioned in parentheses and running with it is just not acceptable.
Sellers may take off and run with comments made on this board, amongst other marble “posts” out there on the interweb, but to run out like this is just wrong----just wrong. It does no one here any justice.
Pull this one off of your sales on E-bay and try to get a good ID on it. I wish you luck after that.
PM me for a possible solution.
This has to end here—really, it must.
Marble—On!!

• Like 4
  • Award 1

Has nothing to do with you friend, I got my info from notable YouTube collectors, books I have, and a somewhat similar marble I've seen sold by another collector. I'm familiar with a submarine being a hybrid of a cobra/cyclone type and that the majority of them are "difficult to describe" (not my words). It may be a CAC, but when most cacs are selling for 50-300 and the really unique ones are 300-600, and I've seen one go up to 3500, 35 seems it would be an excellent gamble for you, not so much for me. Feels a bit scammy

Hence my hesitation to assume good faith arguments. Waiting for consensus that I feel comfortable accepting, so far yinz have been all over the place. "Why yes this marble is unlike anything I've seen and have no comparison to it, but I will pay you a very low price for it" . You haven't been the first to play that lol

19 minutes ago, chocomibs said:

Has nothing to do with you friend, I got my info from notable YouTube collectors, books I have, and a somewhat similar marble I've seen sold by another collector. I'm familiar with a submarine being a hybrid of a cobra/cyclone type and that the majority of them are "difficult to describe" (not my words). It may be a CAC, but when most cacs are selling for 50-300 and the really unique ones are 300-600, and I've seen one go up to 3500, 35 seems it would be an excellent gamble for you, not so much for me. Feels a bit scammy

Hence my hesitation to assume good faith arguments. Waiting for consensus that I feel comfortable accepting, so far yinz have been all over the place. "Why yes this marble is unlike anything I've seen and have no comparison to it, but I will pay you a very low price for it" . You haven't been the first to play that lol

The point is that you have not been waiting for a consensus.   You took one tentative answer that you liked and ran with it,  and then made a non-good-faith ebay listing with it.  

Now you're insulting the people who have been trying to help you.

Bad form. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chocomibs said:

I got my info from notable YouTube collectors, books I have, and a somewhat similar marble I've seen sold by another collector.

n8P8S4.gif

Talk about the blind-leading-the-blind.  And I do enjoy the waffle-words "somewhat similar".

The more you write about your lack of knowledge and ridiculous unnamed sources - the more ridiculous you make your $20,000.00 price and yourself look.

You should lock that Jabo in a bank vault.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Alan said:

n8P8S4.gif

Talk about the blind-leading-the-blind.  And I do enjoy the waffle-words "somewhat similar".

The more you write about your lack of knowledge and ridiculous unnamed sources - the more ridiculous you make your $20,000.00 price and yourself look.

You should lock that Jabo in a bank vault.

To keep the record up to date as this dialog continurs, the price is currently $1,500 in the eBay listing.

12 minutes ago, chicagocyclist said:

I'M temped!  LOL.   :P They should post the price reduction history!  hahaha.  Yes, it's quite a drop.  I can understand searching for the highest market price but this is a pretty bizarre search pattern!!

I find the smooth and convenient shifting of sales name that William noted to be perhaps unsurprising and even more disturbing.

• Like 1

This still really irritates me. Coming from where I'm actually invested in and happy about marble collecting as a hobby. I want to learn as much as I can about the subject, the experts on this site are extremely generous and responsive when I request help identifying a marble and I'm extremely grateful for them sharing their collective knowledge. This kind of crap turns people off from wanting to help and it hurts everyone. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, browncat73 said:

This still really irritates me. Coming from where I'm actually invested in and happy about marble collecting as a hobby. I want to learn as much as I can about the subject, the experts on this site are extremely generous and responsive when I request help identifying a marble and I'm extremely grateful for them sharing their collective knowledge. This kind of crap turns people off from wanting to help and it hurts everyone. 

Agree!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 4:57 AM, chocomibs said:

But I am also trying to figure out what this is. Feels like we've gone a bit off topic. If yinz wanna start a separate thread on my eBay store, that's cool with me. I'm always open to feedback. 

Oh boy, ya'll been having fun while I was resting.

No this is not a green based and Scott P. quite a character. I've spoken with him years ago before any internet forums. The very first net communication that Bob B. acquired, relived the owner of an email relay group which became a burden for lack or resources.  Scott created quite a bit of havoc in it. .He'd get a real kick when people didn't recognize his were clearly not the real thing. Personally, I have seen lots of his creations and they are nice, imitate styles but, draw the line as those who know what the real deal is, ain't going to fall for it. I wanted to commission him to make me a 'Universe'. He was to discuss more thoughts and my ideas, but he went ahead and made something. Not to dis Scott, it wasn't even close to what I'd talked about and looked burnt like those he had reheated. perhaps it was too complicated. We spoke other times as I knew his lingo, both friendly and not.. Or to put it simply, his disease was worse but, I've a chronic disability over 40 years now. The pain game and loss of being part of the healthy established working 8 to 5 society can be frustrating. I grew up in East LA, 'The hood', and feel lucky that I made it out by avoiding drunks, drug freaks and criminals. When you do not get along with the average, it takes a lot to do that. 

Green based Guinea? Referring to Larry Castle and Marlo Peterson: 'Marbles' The guide to Machine-Made Marbles 2nd edition. 1995: Page 36 paragraph 2: Yeah, Ron: Green  based Guinea is a thing. ;) As to a 'Single pinch' as they put it (one cut off, single fold, looped) ya gots a nice photo of a Cobra: Page 34 row 1 line D. "Cobra"  that's Single pinch of Blue and Orange with a nice loop. I guess it's possible to get two cut offs in A Cobra with some stuff under the surface but doubt many will loop. Inside a 2 seam Guina, doubt that too but, range of variation, ultimately, has no limits.

I have a mint single fold (1 pinch) Blue based Guinea that's Fab. IDK but never checked to see if there's color inside, why bother? If I can't see Cobra effect in my hands, I could care less. Yet as one should know, single seam Guinea is the hardest to find, with a Cobra, in clear base, double that rarity. Just because a Guinea has some submarine action going on,  doesn't make it tops ;) Cool thing about Cobras or Cyclones is when there's enough clear above the colors, the inner sub-surface gets magnified it a bit. Because, in general, Cobras and Cyclones are made with crystal clear colorless glass. The topic Cobra appears to have some color blending happening: "Range of variation." 

Personally, I do not like to speculate a value albeit, chocomibs, 20k? or even 5k 1st off for a chipper? Yeah, that goes the distance. Mah, HA! HA! HA!  Ma! HA! HA! HA!!I  any fool who even considers that lack of seriousness by any ebay sellers who tempts that trick,. Seller repetition ZOOMS to zero. Online creditability on forums is already there now. "Hustler" Worse: It seems obvious now, for lack of knowledge, your past marble sales will lack identification, over and over and more. 'No clue what you do'  Potentially' never, ever sell it for any price. Joking ;), Or am I? LOL.

However, I am willing to take a ride on the reading, outbid Ric by more than 3, at $100 shipping included.  Seriously though: I think it be wise to pay attention to Ron's valuations. Otherwise, your marble is pretty beat, somebody battered it on concrete curbs. If it was Mint I could see it, in a better market, getting a grand, maybe more, but it is NOT! nowhere close. NOT remotely close to near mint, which is usually half the value of mint. Your condition is only good, 'Collectible' which is the lowest but at least can be identified, that is a grade above sling shot ammo. 

As I said; I have a clear base Guinea Cobra, It's the real deal, Nice looping and clear panel to see the center colors, the best of the kind verses just sub surface that do not even compare. Yet it is chippy to0 and the worse if, right on the clear area that makes it very difficult to get a good photograph. However, in hand; chipped no problem it's a very nice cobra in there. and Nice Guinea surface color spots too.

You do not even know what a freaken Guinea looks like. Mine is Double of what you have.  makes it doubly top stuff. Twice, as it goes, Great multicolored cobra inside, you can't get better for that. Bought it on Ebay: described and photographed fairly acceptably by somebody who knew what they had.. 'But-it now' 50 bucks. So, @$100 that's double and mine is an actual Guinea Cobra. You, on the other hand, obviously have no clue and even with books, not even close. 

I mean: I do not think it's a Fake, and that Pig tail, it's weird and does make it a gable: real or fake. . I have seen a lot of Cobra/cyclones through the years. There's some faint memory of a pig tail on one, but too many marbles and years, today, I think it may have been a fake, IDK. . I have seen Cyclones that had to be Hand-Gathered. One in fact, in Amana Trusted conformations it was so, where it literally snaked with sort of a head. Another a local collector yet, still wonder, on occasion; had I not seen like kind in Amana, if it was a fake. Not talking pig tail but, snake.  I've been fooled before, not often, a few times though, taught me a lesson.  so,, and but, U no,, moving on:

I managed to get most of the photos I saved years ago and thought lost on an old drive. These are the real deal albeit the top two are not mine. I saved them because, while I do not recall who, exactly, but were at the top of the game.

I am attaching some example photos at end of this part. One the left certainly looks Hand-gathered, I'l eat my old flip flops. It may have been Les Jones, perhaps Danny Turner?  just to long ago. Except, I saved it knowing, confidently: "No fake here" (Hint: CAC made plenty H-G marbles, opened 1925, well before Automated gob feeders functioned well enough to withstand the need to pump out box car loads a week.

A little historical history: It didn't happen at Akro, as far as we know, until 1928. Yet potential as the whole glass industry developed, according to Michael Cohill whose primary study, is not marbles but the whole glass industry: it happened in 1924 of which, as I personally understand, could not make stripes yet.

I know myself: This also goes back to 1909 investments to make this happen.  However, 1924 should have been responsible for both marbles during Cohill's assessment in time: Akro and Peltier slags that are not hand-gathered.

Accordingly:  In 1924 It could gather a gob for everything Glass imaginable, but not control multiple streams and stripe yet. That's what Ira Freeze was working on in 1922, and not some crazy eyelashes from a dull shear blade.  Yet, Ira Freeze could not put in automated gob feeders, it was still primitive rather, trying to bring multiple streams together is what he had patented and to me, I am surprised Freeze got a patent because it's not very unique yet moreover, appears to be common knowledge verses what's required for it: unique. . ;) To that effect, CAC may have leased something that streamed multiple colors from who knows who,? making striped opaque and transparent., We can only speculate. Yet whenever I can get it done, Gonna surprise ya'll with things that came from the Akro HG dig, you probably not going to believe: how close Akro's HG marbles came to CAC slags.)

The Photos attached below: On the right, gosh I can not remember her name, Patry? IDK but think she  passed, bout 8 year ago.  She was active for years and the top of the line in everything she collected. It does not say: Hand-gathered to me but it's probably a singled "Pinch", seam looping at the angle you can't see. 

Cobra or Cyclone and my personal observation and opinion of why there's a difference: I saved these two for reference because this is where you separate the boys from the girls: "What's the difference between a Cobra and Cyclone?". 

Essentially, they can be the same yet, one can have a C, single pinch loop, the other as well but Cyclones get wild. IE, a Guinea with some sub surface colors is top dog when there's looping and possibly shows something like multiple C layers in there.  The Op's marble is clearly showing that pattern inside of it. 

On the other hand, in Cyclones, I want to see wild stuff like both of these photos have. 

The lower bottom marbles are mine and is poor junky photography of Cyclone half+ pieces, with plenty colors, junk phots do not show I made in a hurry, you can't see what they are so, please ignore them. I'll make better photos of em one day. maybe even better because I have over 20, combo half+ and chips pf guineas, and cyclones, quite a range of examples.  In Fact, it's also why I would pay $100. Unlike many, I have collected all kinds of junk marbles because owning Junk is the cheapest way to learn. Or rather, having a real thing in hand is an education whereas I can tell with good photos because I own so may marbles junk or not. ;). What a company's color palette is. Your photos are, for all the chips, junk. Even your best color photos do not fit what colors I want to see. Rolling the dice on it for that too. 

As I said, "I would need to have that marble in hand" That's why: 'colors', yours are unusual too. ;( But, I like junk and unusual. ;| $100 shipped FIRM. 

Here's some  photos I dug up from long ago: Patry's on right and I forgot on left and below are half pieces..

cyclones2.jpg.4932ceccc0ecae753415501970b535ce.jpg

and another photo of mine:; a  old small graphics sample half pieces although poor graphic, but with colors decent. They are two seam Cyclone examples.

Note: The fabled white Cobra/Cyclone is at bottom left. It's NOT a fable wink, wink. However, the fact; if were it to be a whole marble, you can never tell the difference, because it's just Clear and white, otherwise, "Right prove it!" is what I'd say to anybody. Yet it, though a half piece, is answer to the mysterious fable. I mean, there's nothing other than provenance here "White Cobra/Cyclone? Yes; at least on a half piece; it is so. Good luck proving one, haha. I have a killer 5/8"  clear and white marble, center is flaming, I'd love to say it's CAC but do not dare. I enjoy my creditability verses hyping something I am not sure of. 

1959082630_Dug-upCyclonehalfpeices.jpg.16340de08cb34233f8757cb45fec3467.jpg

• Like 1