Mealworms ?

Gladys

I remember our chicken eggs when I was a kid, we had Barred rock, Rhode island red, and Bantam (Banty) chickens. Looked like easter, white, brown, pink, and kind of a bluish green,  big,small and everything in between but all mmm,mmm good. We had the Bantam because they were excellent sitting hens if I remember right ??

12 hours ago, Chad G. said:

I remember our chicken eggs when I was a kid, we had Barred rock, Rhode island red, and Bantam (Banty) chickens. Looked like easter, white, brown, pink, and kind of a bluish green,  big,small and everything in between but all mmm,mmm good. We had the Bantam because they were excellent sitting hens if I remember right ??

Yes. My bantams go broody a lot. I try to let them hatch babies every spring. It’s so fun to watch. 

• Care 1

On 1/29/2023 at 9:17 PM, Fire1981 said:

I buy them. Look for “Grubbleys” online. My chickens get these so their feathers don’t fall out. The bird stores mealworms are twice as much. Go “Grubbleys” 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Thank you Fire! sorry for the slow response! I forgot I asked LOL! love your chicken pictures!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 11:47 PM, schmoozer said:

You don’t let them sit on the eggs to hatch? From a non-farmer🙃

I do that in the summer.  It’s difficult to have chicks outside in the winter with the water freezing. I do love hen hatching over incubators. ;)

• Thanks 1

One of my hens is a Brooder by nature  without a rooster. She sits on the eggs of the day including her’s before I collect them. She just started doing this with the time change. All my hens are 1 years old now. I gotta remember to have live crickets to feed the when my Granddaughter comes over. 🔥

RAR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We has a killdeer drop 2 eggs in our yard and abandon the nest. Having 5 dogs in the yard is not a good place to nest. I saw them in the yard and tried to chase them out, they are minimalists, just making a depression in the gravel. For 2 years they nested successfully in the upper yard by the drive way. ACA27541-D172-4EBA-835F-A804F84785BD.thumb.jpeg.0b99ddbdf033f448f723729486141b99.jpeg