Newbie Questions

I’m sorry if these are dumb questions but I’ve been meaning to ask. 

1.  What are dug marbles and why are they dug as opposed to being found in stores?

2.  Are there people that just sell for profit and not actually collect?  I see a lot of sellers on Facebook and wonder how they could part with some of what they sell. I recently acquired a couple rarities and haven’t given a single thought to making money on it. I’ve been curious about that. 

3.  When marbles were actually played back in the days, were certain ones more treasured than others?  For instance, was a Superman more cherished/valued than a pelt rainbo?

thank you!

Dug marbles were “rejects” that got tossed in a pit. Just a simple hands on quality control. Ron is a Digger. I should note that I don’t know what % came from a pit or what % were on the surface. Hope that helps🔥

RAR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are better minds to elaborate on these subjects but I will try..

1. I would hope they were dug at at factory site. 

2. Just like any collectable, priceless to one price tag to another ...😉

3. Matter of taste, imagine when the sparkler came out or a nice Alley flame ..

• Thanks 1

@Fire1981 ah, now it makes sense. I was seriously wondering why the heck people would dig glass. 

I collect various other things but this hobby seems to attract more for profit only “collectors”. Maybe I’m imagining things. I guess I don’t understand the point of collecting if you’re just going to sell everything. Not judging. I just don’t get it. 

#1 Dug marbles means, most times dug from the ground at the factory site or nearby. Also could be dug from a old house dump. Many rural houses in the 1930-1950's usually had a dump site on the property for many types of glass, jars, bottles, tin cans, etc. There was no plastic then.   Also could mean dug from an old privy or out house site.   Dug marbles = dug from the ground.  All marble companies discarded marbles for many different reasons. They all discarded error marbles and mint ready to sell marbles. They did not have a warehouse. They were cheap kids toys not a penny each. Easier to make more than store them for a year or more. Many mint marbles were never sold for different reasons. Some certain marbles were all discarded or dumped. They only way collectors have them today is from some person who dug them up. 

#2 Yes there are many people who are marble dealers only and never collect a marble. Some were collectors for years. Then decided to sell part or all or become just a dealer.  Marble dealers are needed and a plus in keeping marbles rotating in the hands of collectors. I have seen some marbles that I have sold, change hands three times since I owned them.  I have sold marbles and maybe years later buy them back.  I sold a lot of marbles in 2005 during my divorce. I have bought several of those back. I have sold marbles and original bags or box sets, and later buy them back cheaper than what I sold them for.  People has things happen and sometimes need to sell if they want to or not. Buying or selling marbles can be a merry go round. Some people can collect thirty years and never ever sell marble.  That is fine but if every collector did that ? How many marbles would be available for collectors in the next twenty years.  Marble collectors need marble sellers or dealers. Marble sellers or dealers need marble collectors to buy them. 

#3 Yes certain marbles were more treasured back in the 1950's. But it was usually a certain lucky shooter or a certain color, usually red. Not many players or kids knew any named marbles. Names did not play a big role in marbles in the 1940-50's. The only marble that I knew the name of in the 1950's was the MK Bumblebee. I don't remember anyone around me in the 1950,s calling a marble by a company brand or marble name. I am sure the more colorful marbles were cherished more than solid color ones. Size was a big factor then. Large marbles, 3/4 to 7/8 inch were few. I played marbles in the 1950's. I never heard any marble Superman name until at least 1996 or 1998, when I started collecting. Collectors like marble names. Most kids didn't really care then or now.  I have gave away many thousands of marbles to kids and not one kid has ever ask me about any name.  Once that have them in hand, they just want to play with them. But most do not know how to play with them. But they will roll them and find something to do with them. Give them a handful of marbles and they will immediately put the phone down.  

• Like 1
  • Award 2

7 minutes ago, wvrons said:

#1 Dug marbles means, most times dug from the ground at the factory site or nearby. Alos could be dug from a old house dump. Many rural houses in the 1930-1950's usually had a dump site on the property for many types of glass. jar, bottles, tin cans, etc. There was no plastic then.   Also could mean dug from an old privy or out house site.   Dug manes dug from the ground.  All marble companies discarded marbles for many different reasons. They all discarded error marbles and mint ready to sell marbles. They did not have a warehouse. They were cheap kids toys not a penny each. Easier to make more than store them for a year or more. Many mint marbles were never sold for different reasons. Some certain marbles were all discarded or dumped. They only way collectors have them today is from some person who dug them up. 

#2 Yes there are many people who are marble dealers only and never collect a marble. Some were collectors for years. Then decided to sell part or all or become just a dealer.  Marble dealers are needed and a plus in keeping marbles rotating in the hands of collectors. I have seen some marbles that I have sold, change hands three times since I owned them.  I have sold marbles and maybe years later buy them back.  I sold a lot of marbles in 2005 during my divorce. I have bought several of those back. I have sold marbles and original bags or box sets, and later buy them back cheaper than what I sold them for.  People has things happen and sometimes need to sell if they want to or not. Buying or selling marbles can be a merry go round. Some people can collect thirty years and never ever sell marble.  That is fine but if every collector did that ? How many marbles would be available for collectors in the next twenty years.  Marble collectors need marble sellers or dealers. Marble sellers or dealers need marble collectors to buy them. 

#3 Yes certain marbles were more treasured back in the 1950's. But it was usually a certain lucky shooter or a certain color, usually red. Not many players or kids knew any named marbles. Names did not play a big role in marbles in the 1940-50's. The only marble that I knew the name of in the 1950's was the MK Bumblebee. I don't remember anyone around me in the 1950,s calling a marble by a company brand or marble name. I am sure the more colorful marbles were cherished more than solid color ones. Size was a big factor then. Large marbles, 3/4 to 7/8 inch were few. I played marbles in the 1950's. I never heard any marble Superman name until at least 1996 or 1998, when I started collecting. Collectors like marble names. Most kids didn't really care then or now.  I have gave away many thousands of marbles to kids and not one kid has ever ask me about any name.  Once that have them in hand, they just want to play with them. But most do not know how to play with them. But they will roll them and find something to do with them. Give them a handful of marbles and they will immediately put the phone down.  

Thank you!  This all makes perfect sense and I appreciate your input here. :)

• Like 1

I gave out maybe 20 bags to kids at the last glass show, some even to adults who looked they were going to cry because they weren’t for sale. (I even got a hug from one older lady.)

I was away from the booth and a lady handed my wife $20 for 4 random bags of $.10 marbles.

the funniest was 2 kids, I told them not to open the bags until they got home. The look the kids gave the Mom was hilarious, the “we are going home NOW!” Look. Mom folded and off they went…

• Care 1

#1. “dug marbles” These were either discarded as “non production types” (experimental) or “discards’” (those that did not meet general production standards)

#2 There are many collectors that sell and few sellers that do not collect. This hobby/addiction takes too much research to just sell. If you find an informed seller—he/she is a collector of one type or another that is she/he willing to part with one type to get cash for another that he/she collects?

There are many collectors that have turned into great sellers because of the knowledge that they have collected over the years along with the followers that they have achieved over the years because of their reputation. These sellers will sell yours for you with a kickback of course.

#3 Natural stone agates were the one to have over any glass back in the day. Glass out priced them and the glass marbles became more popular because of the price and as far as I have researched, the bright colored “solids” were the most popular after the demise of the stone agates.

I appreciate all opinions on this subject, these are my personal observations from the research that I have done.

Marble—On!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, schmoozer said:

I gave out maybe 20 bags to kids at the last glass show, some even to adults who looked they were going to cry because they weren’t for sale. (I even got a hug from one older lady.)

I was away from the booth and a lady handed my wife $20 for 4 random bags of $.10 marbles.

the funniest was 2 kids, I told them not to open the bags until they got home. The look the kids gave the Mom was hilarious, the “we are going home NOW!” Look. Mom folded and off they went…

That is so nice. I have met quite a few very kind and generous marblers like yourself. It’s heartwarming. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Melissa said:

That is so nice. I have met quite a few very kind and generous marblers like yourself. It’s heartwarming. 

Kids typically get dragged to antique shows by their parents, who rarely take the time to teach them about antiques. The look on their face when getting an unexpected gift is priceless. 

• Care 1

1 hour ago, Melissa said:

1.  What are dug marbles and why are they dug as opposed to being found in stores?

I just wanted to add a point I haven't seen addressed regarding "why are they dug" even if it's not exactly what you were thinking about.

We have learned a ton about different companies' production by looking at dug marbles. Digging marbles at a factory site is the next best thing to finding them in original packaging. They provide a reference to help identify loose marbles found in the wild. If it weren't for diggers we wouldn't know half of what we do about most WV swirls. Think about the fact that Alley never put marbles in a package with the company name it . . .

• Award 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Melissa said:

My only goal is to own every Akro on the planet.  Not an addiction. A mission. 

Well-you have plenty of competition--good luck to you--:wub:

Give me your address and I will "Will" mine to you when I kick the final bucket---not!!

Marble--On!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ric said:

I just wanted to add a point I haven't seen addressed regarding "why are they dug" even if it's not exactly what you were thinking about.

Good point Ric!

“Marble Archaeological Excavation” is the largest driving force in this hobby/addiction to date.

How many WVS ID’s would be made without the excavators and the passion involved?

The folks behind the shovels are as important to this hobby as any Egyptian artifact is to the general human awareness of them.

Of course they wanted to come home with marbles—this was the driving force. The fact that they shared this info without any real greed is what sets them apart from the rest of most of the Archaeological world.

I know very few Marble Millionaires—none in fact!!

Share on –and Marble on for sure!!!

• Like 1

Not on Ebay. But your bid will have to be more than 1.5 million US dollars.  That is the current bid. Refused so far.  Marble Millionaires , I can think of six or eight fast and more out there than we might think.  

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wvrons said:

Not on Ebay. But your bid will have to be more than 1.5 million US dollars.  That is the current bid. Refused so far.  Marble Millionaires , I can think of six or eight fast and more out there than we might think.  

What a score that would be to get that collection 

• Like 2

Those days are almost over forever.  Most sites are empty, filled over deep, concrete over them, or a new building on the site. Very few possibilities are left for any future digs with any good amounts of marbles. 

DSC02938.JPG.c0570fe9429fd856f78e5b188fb465da.JPGDSC06463.thumb.JPG.b1e80a25c8a801eced88ea1e582c6760.JPGDSC06301.JPG.12c898001c987051e60515eaead04789.JPGDSC06309.JPG.1269738861a744641ac51af4f79dda31.JPGDSC06339.JPG.92ca18d4606aa193496b6e0da5ccdc15.JPGDSC06336.JPG.a99c3b1a5371d3568fb4696fb320c21d.JPGDSC06416.thumb.JPG.8a4cb6b9a8fb9847ca429ab8868066af.JPGDSC05907.JPG.c1217b5baae70be344eee0ee9bfd5c2e.JPGDSC05856.JPG.a835f6e856d06db89f5da2164464d527.JPGDSC06446.thumb.JPG.245c68afd6d8fd87276085e3dc166ce0.JPGDSC06539.JPG.926999f090bd9802426fc1335c23f065.JPG

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Award 1

it's too bad the old boards (and so many old posts on this board) are gone. SO many stories about the various digs...some clandestine, some controversial, some suspected of being 'fake news'. i remember when "dug" was a dirty word, and full disclosure meant a seller was obligated to mention if a marble came out of the ground. 

and then there were Jill's dirty quarts of MKs - you could buy a bag of unsorted marble kings and have your own treasure hunt!

i was blessed to have a turn at the property across the street from the Peltier mansion before it was sold. that was so fun, mostly because migbar & boyce lundstrom were there too, but not gonna lie - the hunt was kind of intoxicating :D 

• Like 1

Those were the days. The old boards Marble Mental, Marble Addicts, Nan.com and so many others. Back when every dug marble was trash. Collectors said they never had a single dug marble in their collections. How would they know ? Back when all the WV swirl marbles were junk. They could never ever be separated by companies. When So many Alley marbles were sold as CAC. When Alley children's dishes were sold as Akro.  When all the helmet marbles were Akro. When if it glowed under black light it had to be old. When I could take my grandson then five years old digging marbles on a Sunday afternoon. He is almost 29 years old now. Now all the marble factory sites are No Trespassing. Oh yes Marblequeen Jill's dug dirty quarts of MK's. When good marbles were actually rare. The Vitro Mystery patch turned Elite and now many names. Akro had the only oxblood on machine made marbles. When a nice MFC brick was a treasure. When most all handmades cost more than the similar size machine mades. If you did not collect handmades or Akro, you did not have a collection. When you were going to get every color combination and size corkscrew made. When dealers eat shows priced every individual marble and had lights on the marbles. When the shows were Friday and Saturday only. When a 200 Akro tin was only seen once a year. When we played with marbles in the hall ways at the shows. Those were the days !

• Like 3

the Mystery Patches were peltier for a while, i believe. 

@wvrons i remember photos of your grandson from when he was that young... dang, where did the time go?! :D  we sure have learned a lot since then - in no small part due to your contributions. the WV swirls still make my head spin. mine are all dumped together and i have no idea if i have anything 'good'. maybe some day i'll be one of those old ladies who sells off a jar to someone who can't believe their luck 😂 

• Like 1
  • Award 1