Anyone recognize the maker of this cullet? Opalescent!

rockgardenplants

I don't know how/why cullet gets sold/traded without provenance. Once provenance is lost, cullet can be very hard or impossible to tell where it came from. The provenance is more important than the glass when it comes to cullet. Once the provenance is lost, it can't be learned from or used to help identify and the value of the cullet is gone IMO. That piece, if we knew for sure it was from Peltier, might bring $30-50. But unknown cullet, less than $10. It's important to keep the origin of the cullet with it. 

2 hours ago, rockgardenplants said:

Well, I suppose it's just pretty glass then. I found 20 pounds of cullet in a box from my Dad's collection and there were no labels on them. I'm listing quite a bit tonight.

I had better mark my cullet😁! I am getting up there.

This is pretty glass no doubt.

Marble--On!!

I keep my cullet in boxes or buckets of all the same type. I admit not all is marked, but I have buckets of Alley cullet and Cairo cullet and Heaton cullet, all still unwashed that I keep apart from each other so I know which is which. I guess I should mark them so in case something happens to me, others will know what they are.  The washed cullet is in boxes and tubs and marked. You can write the company name on cullet with a sharpie. It will clean off easily if you decide you want it gone.

I generally try to mark it not only with the company and town it came from, but who dug it and when if I know those details. Most of what I have, either I dug, Bill McCaleb dug, Ron Shepherd, or Nola Morgan dug. Except for my Akro cullet, It was dug by several folks at different times. The more information you keep with it, the more solid the back story and stronger the provenance. 

Rockgardenplants... do you think all the cullet was from one location? If it was all stored together, chances are strong that it all came from the same place. Maybe take pics of the pile and see if it looks like it all came from the same place. If so, that doesn't make it so, but might help a little. Some cullet can be attributed to a company, like when there are marbles clumped together in the cullet or very specific colors that are very well known to be from a particular company.

Heaton material here. When I dug Heaton, I just shoveled all into different people's buckets. They dumped their buckets out and sorted through it. I didn't, I just took the whole buckets home. So while they went through several buckets to get a few good full ones of sorted material, I just took home lots of buckets and once in a while I'll go out and sort through a few gallons. The dig keeps on going even years afterwards. I have some from Cairo and Alley too. Cullet is such a great teacher. I've gone through a lot of what I have, just haven't cleaned it yet. I do some here and there. 

IMG-7328.jpg