Purple and green Sauron eye... any ideas on the maker?

rockgardenplants

That is a nice marble. 
When I see pink or purple I get excited as most collectors’ do.
This is a tuff one—the first image of the eye makes it look tad older that the rest of it does.
It looks to be a veneered marble the rest of the way.
I will take my best shot and say MK—nice one!
All opinions are welcomed and needed.
Marble—On!!

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 3:54 PM, akroorka said:

That is a nice marble. 
When I see pink or purple I get excited as most collectors’ do.
This is a tuff one—the first image of the eye makes it look tad older that the rest of it does.
It looks to be a veneered marble the rest of the way.
I will take my best shot and say MK—nice one!
All opinions are welcomed and needed.
Marble—On!!

I'd like to offer up an opinion, if I may. I have had MKs in the past where the black veneer was very anemic and gave off an almost purple hue as a result. Since the questionable purplish stripe has darker edges, it seems to me that it leans towards black as it's less anemic in that area of the pattern. Plus, the darker lines follow into the green in some parts. Could this just be an anemic MK? I'm just trying to jog my memory from when I did this stuff a lot more several years back. Thanks for humoring me.

28 minutes ago, Kimbernugs said:

I'd like to offer up an opinion, if I may.

Opinions are what drives this board--never be afraid to state one. You will not be beat down or chastised here for any opinion that you may have. If you ever are—it will be corrected post-haste.

There are few marble experts here—just a bunch of seasoned collectors that learn something new every day. (There are some experts that post here but I will not name them because they are humble experts).

Anyhow:lol-016:—your assessment was the thing that drove me to ID this one as a MK---good job---good eye!!

Marble—On!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, akroorka said:

Opinions are what drives this board--never be afraid to state one. You will not be beat down or chastised here for any opinion that you may have. If you ever are—it will be corrected post-haste.

There are few marble experts here—just a bunch of seasoned collectors that learn something new every day. (There are some experts that post here but I will not name them because they are humble experts).

Anyhow:lol-016:—your assessment was the thing that drove me to ID this one as a MK---good job---good eye!!

Marble—On!!

Thanks for that. It's nice to not be afraid to ask the questions. That's how we learn. 

• Like 1

Marble King did not produce a true black color. What often appears black is really dark purple, and where that color thins out over white it definitely takes on a lighter purple color but not a purple like this one, IMO.

It seems to me that the prominent colors on this marble are green and purple, and there is some blue too. I think those dark colored streaks up in and near the top patch are where these colors come together in various ways to make dark or light browns depending on their "concentrations" or "thickness". In other words, I don't think the purple you see is coming out of those dark streaks like what you might see on a MK.

3 minutes ago, Fire1981 said:

Lashes in the 3rd pic. Akro all the way 🔥

RAR

Lashes aren't only found on Akro, of course, but that's part of why I was thinking Akro too. The shape and pattern of the top patch and the seams remind me of the Uniques I have been studying lately too. But I have to admit I have not seen another Akro like it. On the other hand, I haven't seen a Marble King like it either.

5 minutes ago, Fire1981 said:

I would like to see some examples of Lashes that aren’t Akro. I’m curious if I sorted a few of marbles by just relying on that trait. 🔥

RAR

They're not uncommon on Masters either - check this thread . . .

9 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

I don’t see this one being a Master. The color combo still favors Akro in my mind🔥

RAR

I definitely was not implying the OP marble is Master. I was just pointing you to examples of non-Akro eyelashes.

15 hours ago, Ric said:

Marble King did not produce a true black color. What often appears black is really dark purple, and where that color thins out over white it definitely takes on a lighter purple color but not a purple like this one, IMO.

It seems to me that the prominent colors on this marble are green and purple, and there is some blue too. I think those dark colored streaks up in and near the top patch are where these colors come together in various ways to make dark or light browns depending on their "concentrations" or "thickness". In other words, I don't think the purple you see is coming out of those dark streaks like what you might see on a MK.

So that makes sense. I once owned a rare Green Hornet shooter (someone has it in their profile pic now I do believe) and the black portion was lighter and more purple looking. But I've seen some really dark black stripes/patches, like in a bumble bee that just looked super black to me. I guess it's all about the concentration of glass in that area. What about the newer MK's though? Do they use black now?

15 minutes ago, Kimbernugs said:

I guess it's all about the concentration of glass in that area. What about the newer MK's though? Do they use black now?

I think it's really more about the concentration of colorants in the glass and the way those colorants combine to produce different colors. And I do not think MK makes a true black, even today. AFAIK, only Christensen, Peltier, Akro and some old Alleys can show a true black. You can often tell that colors are not true black by looking closely at the edges of the striping where color thins out or mixes with the adjacent glass. But this too depends on the chemistry of the glass and whether or not the adjacent colors of glass are miscible. CAC is famous for using different colors of glass that do not mix together. It's why CACs usually have very nice crisp borders between adjacent colors and very little bleeding.

16 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think it's really more about the concentration of colorants in the glass and the way those colorants combine to produce different colors. And I do not think MK makes a true black, even today. AFAIK, only Christensen, Peltier, Akro and some old Alleys can show a true black. You can often tell that colors are not true black by looking closely at the edges of the striping where color thins out or mixes with the adjacent glass. But this too depends on the chemistry of the glass and whether or not the adjacent colors of glass are miscible. CAC is famous for using different colors of glass that do not mix together. It's why CACs usually have very nice crisp borders between adjacent colors and very little bleeding.

Thank you so much for that explanation!