Please Read ........... Guy Gregg

mibcapper

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about that, it's happening far too often these days but I guess that's what happens when we get old, it's a cycle and we all must pass one day. It seems as if it was so much more fun to be young, death was never an option and the days lasted forever. Guy was a cool dude, always so friendly and really took my wife in on her first marble show, he made her feel so welcome. Rest well my friend, your in peace now.

I had the good fortune to meet Guy at the Ottawa 2002 marble show, and was able to arrange a tour of the Peltier factory for Guy and Denise. I'll never forget the look of joy and wonder on his face throughout the tour, and the fun Denise and I had prying old marbles and glass jewels out of the crumbling mortar and brick walls.

Bless you, Guy. You've earned those wings on your wheels.

mike b.

IMHO, All prayers are answered, it's just that sometimes we don't like the answer.

I'd bet my bottom dollar if Guy had a choice of staying where he is or coming back to this big blue marble we call earth, he would stay put.

Quote Chris:"i loved his sense of humor best of all....

guy was truly a marble ambassador. he embodied everything that attracts us to this hobby, and which keeps us interested year after year.

guy was a keeper for sure. i'm gonna miss him for a long, long time."

^ditto what she said

thoughts and prayers to Denise and family

whishin he could bounce me on his knee one more time

tulsa3.jpg

ladybug.jpg

Sure sounds like Guy has made Heaven a more beautiful place for the rest of us! Hang on to all the wonderful memories he has left his friends and family! It puts a smile on my face that everybody has so much respect and fond memories for Guy! My mother would say this to my sister and I almost everyday!

Many Happy Returns of the Day.

May God and His Mercy.

Prepare you on Earth.

For a Beautiful Birthday in Heaven!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GUY!

I am also one of the lucky ones who met Guy early in my start with marbles. He was at the start and always my Peltier man. He also gave me marbles,he gave them to me as a teaching tool, when i would show enough interest or ask enough questions. He didn't want to tackle the WV swirls but he decided to go after the Vitros. He pulled a superboy from his box at the Columbus show and gave it to me for good luck. I carried it in my pocket every day until the red stripes were almost wore off. I returned it to him not long ago and told him Thanks but it was time for the luck to return to him for a while.

He will be missed by us and the future marble collectors,who will never have the pleasure of talking marbles with GUY.

Rest in PEACE GUY.

See You Later.

Ron Shepherd

Memorial services for Guy Gregg will be held at the

Salem Baptist Church, Wednesday. January 3rd at 11am

250 S. Taylorville Rd., Decatur, Illinois

Visitation will be at 10am.

The family is having him cremated so the burial will be at a later date.

Memorials to be sent to the family in care of his daughter,

Nancy Gregg

PO Box, 355

Bethany, IL 61914

Church tel. Number is 217-422-4274 for directions

Tanzyus-Logan Funeral home # is 217-233-1080

Denise told me there was no burial insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

Posts from Marble Mental - Guy Gregg Tribute

(pictures will be added as time allows...)

Bo444

(12/31/06 9:24 am)

Guy Gregg Tribute

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denise called me this morning with the news none of us wanted to hear.

Guy passed away this morning.

She asked me to notify the boards that the funeral arrangments and where to send flowers and such will be updated soon.

She just wanted to thank us for our prayers.

Guy, you will be missed by many.

Bo

Edited by: Pinx at: 1/2/07 8:04 pm

Pinx

ezOP Administrator

(12/31/06 3:13 pm)

Re: Guy Gregg, 12/30/06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I first met Guy at Amana about four years ago. Since then, I would occasionally get a package of assorted cat's eyes from him in the mail. His friendly and positive attitude will be missed at shows and here on Marble Mental.

Elizabeth

swirlman

(12/31/06 3:24 pm)

Reply Re: Guy Gregg, 12/30/06

The big Guy will be sadly missed by myself and my wife. He was always my first stop at the shows, to visit and to learn. Guy was a friend and my Pelt mentor. The shows will never be the same for me with him not there. Our prayers and sympathy to Denise and family.

swirlman, George R.

Mary Mas

(12/31/06 4:59 pm)

Oh, this has been such a sad time. We have known Guy for many years and he will certainly be missed. He was a true COLLECTOR.

Our prayers are with you Denise!! Stan and Mary

Poplarhead

(12/31/06 5:58 pm)

Reply We Will All Miss The Guy with a Big Heart!

So sad to hear about Guy - Ron and I enjoyed his company at the shows we attended. He willl be missed by many marble show attendees and remembered for his love of Peltiers.

Here are a couple of pictures I took at Fall 2003 West Va show.

Don

bjmarble

(12/31/06 6:16 pm)

Our condolence to the family. Guy was one of the good guys in the marble world. WE will miss him. Here is a pic taken in Columbus in 2004..

Brad & Darlene

Edited by: Pinx at: 1/2/07 7:26 pm

Edun1

(12/31/06 6:42 pm)

Darned shame, Guy will be missed by a lot of people. I remember having talked with him on the merits on vintage collecting versus contemporary. He was a true gentleman and collector.

sissydear

(12/31/06 7:21 pm)

Guy sure will be missed. We had known him for about 10 years and he was one of the people we always looked for at marble shows. He didn't come to Sistersville this year and we missed him. I'll always regret not ever making it to one of his shows Pride of the Prairie. We kept thinking we'd go next year and next year never came. Denise, we love you and hope to see you at marble shows. Weldon and Edna

Fire81

(12/31/06 7:58 pm)

I'll feel very fortunate to have met Guy.

He was so good to me at the Ottawa Show !

My Sister bought her FIRST MARBLE from him !

It's a nice SuperBoy and now HE'S THE ONE that

got her HOOKED !!!!

_____

We had a GREAT DAY with Guy..Denise and Gunther !

One that Sis and I will always remember !

THANK YOU GUY !!!!

Rick A. Robbins

TerryT35

(12/31/06 8:11 pm)

Rest in Peace Guy. Your humor will be missed.

spara50

(12/31/06 8:46 pm)

We will all miss a great marble friend...He and Denise at the Kansas City show in 04'.

Craig

nancycom

(1/1/07 5:46 am)

I am so very, very sorry to hear this news.

I never got to meet Guy in person. That does not mean that he didn't feel like family to me. He sure did!

His funny, friendly posts and caring generous heart meant so much to us all.

He will be most dearly missed.

See you later Guy.

Love,

Nan.com

duffytrash222

(1/1/07 6:43 am)

heres his obit . you could send flowers through this info....

www.legacy.com/herald%2Dr...d=20506364

1123 Marbles

(1/1/07 8:26 am)

Reply Guy Gregg

We were so sorry to hear of Guy's passing. He was a very good friend and will be missed greatly. Ann & I extend our sympathies to Denise. The web site has wonderful pictures of him. Joe and Ann Edlen

wvronS

(1/1/07 10:18 am)

Reply Re: Guy Gregg

Like all above,what a great marble friend,a big loss for future marble admirers. I could post many pages of good stories of Guy.

Rest in peace Guy.

Hope to see you later.

Ron Shepherd

Pinx

ezOP Administrator

(1/1/07 10:57 am)

Re: Guy Gregg

Here's the info on the funeral home from the obit Duffy posted:

Tanzyus-Logan Funeral Service Inc

3085 N Kandy Ln

Decatur, IL 62526

Phone 217) 233-1080

It's great to see all the wonderful tributes that have been posted. Guy certainly left his mark on the community.

Elizabeth

KCmibslover

(1/2/07 8:16 am)

www.legacy.com/herald-review/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=20509937

mmuehlba

(1/2/07 12:11 pm)

Denise our deepest sympathy to you, Guy will always be in our hearts.

The time we spent with him was always fun and enjoyable. We will always remember the times we sat talking about and looking at marbles. He will be remembered and thought of often by us. Janet and Mike Muehlbauer

Al Oregon

(1/2/07 12:28 pm)

I was saddened to read this after getting back from a short vacation. I communicated with Guy a few times by email and, liek others, on the boards. I never got a chance to meet him but feel like I knew him from pics and the boards. Here is the obituary from the info posted above in case it doesn't show up for you when you try the link:

--------

Melvin "Guy" Gregg

ARGENTA - Melvin "Guy" Gregg, 70 of Argenta, IL, passed away on Sunday, December 31, 2006, from complications following emergency surgery. Services will be held on Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at Salem Baptist Church, 2650 South Taylorville Road, Decatur, IL. Visitation is at 10:00 a.m. and the Funeral is at 11:00 a.m. Burial will be in Wheeler Cemetery at a later date. Memorials may be sent to the family in care of Nancy Gregg, executor of his estate. Tanzyus-Logan Funeral Service is in charge of arrangements. Guy the youngest of 10 siblings, was born on May 18, 1936 in Decatur, IL., to Lewis and Mary (Woods) Gregg. He married Patsy Ann Cowell in 1957. She died on December 27, 1997 in Texas. Besides his wife he was preceded in death by his parents, and brothers, Allen, Howard, Glenn and Ted. Surviving are his son, Roger A. and wife Penny of Fresno, Tx., daughters, Guyla and husband Ron Lucas of New Palestine, In., Ann Mitchell (Shelly) and husband Norman Wright of New Caney, Tx., and devoted niece and caregiver Denise E. Gregg of Argenta, IL. Guy leaves nine grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Guy is also survived by one brother, Berk Gregg of Cedar Park, Tx., and four sisters, Mary Ruth Helm Hummer of Saftey Harbor, Fl., Marjorie Castell and husband George of Decatur, Helen Hudson of Bakersfield, Ca., Virginia Smith of Bloomington, IL., and two sisters-in-law, Delorus Gregg of Maroa, and Mary Gregg of Clarksburg, Tn., many nieces, nephews and great nieces and nephews. Guy was in the residential and commercial construction industry most of his life. His last employment was project manager for Beverly Enterprises. He enjoyed motorcycle riding, hunting, fishing and watching Illini games. Guy learned about marble collecting through his caregiver, Denise and soon became an avid collector. Guy will be greatly missed by his family and friends. The family expresses gratefulness and appreciation to the doctors and staff at St. Mary's Hospital. Obituary written by family members. Online guest book at www.legacy.com/herald-review/Obituaries.asp

Published in the Decatur Herald & Review on 1/2/2007.

Royal3

(1/2/07 2:10 pm)

Reply A huge empty feeling...

I've been so blessed to have Guy in my life nearly daily for the last several years. It was a rare day that went by without one or more emails from Guy, some funny, some spriritual, some political, but all intended to say hello, and raise my spirits, and help us both celebrate another day of life. I cannot tell you how much I will miss those emails, and the enormous spirit and heart of that great man. It was an honor to call him friend; the world is a lessor place because of his passing.

My heart goes out to Denise and the rest of his family on their loss. My thoughts and prayers will be with them as they mourn the passing of one so dear. May God bless them all; and Guy, old friend, I hope we'll see you again. Save a table...

Royal Morse

mmuehlba

(1/2/07 7:43 pm)

Re: A huge empty feeling...

every one will miss you Guy . Mike

Marble Mental - Guy Gregg Tribute - Page 2

Author Comment

flu0rescent

(1/2/07 9:06 pm)

goodbye buddy..

Roningeorgia

(1/3/07 12:48 pm)

It is amazing to me how these little orbs have brought so many of us together over the years. I met Guy through marbles and the kindness of Don and Becky. Guy tuly was and is 'a keeper.' His laughter was contagious and almost as large as his kindness. Guy was a 'good egg' and down this way that's as mint as it gets. He will be missed by many people, but definitely not forgotten. My heart especially goes out to Denise.

Ron

dink1111

(1/4/07 8:59 pm)

Reply Re: A huge empty feeling...

I am just stunned. Between the ice storm and the Christmas post office crush, I hadn't been on the boards and knew nothing of this until a friend told me New Year's Eve that Guy was gone. Guy was one of the first marble collectors I met, and my grandsons and I just adored him. Guy was the one who filled 3-year-old Abigail's coat pockets so full of marbles at a Decatur show that the child could barely navigate to the car. Logan's prized lavender Pelt banana was a gift from Guy, and even my Pelt collection has more than a few of his 'extras'. He took great pleasure in pressing a marble into someone's hand, and gave away marbles to the kids just to see their eyes light up. And if the kid caught the marble bug, so much the better. When I suggested that this made him, basically, a marble 'pusher', he just roared with laughter.

We spent many an hour in Guy and Denice's room, talking Pelts and Vitros, of course, but just talking, too. The boys loved his little terrier, Katie, and it was quite an honor when Denise and Guy let them play with her new pups. Poor Katie is as bereft as the rest of us, nosing around the house and then jumping up on Guy's bed to lay her head on his pillow. Denise is still trying to grasp that he's gone -- they had a wonderfully unique and mutually supportive relationship, She just doesn't know yet what to do with herself after taking care of Guy all these years.

I learned a lot about marbles from Guy. At first, I'd bring him my marbles to ID, and if he couldn't pin one down, he'd say "Go see so-and-so, tell 'em Peltboy sent you." I met a lot of very knowledgeable people through him. Pretty soon I just wanted Guy to check my own IDs, and to this day I would still bring him the occasional head-scratcher to puzzle out. Often he'd see me, and call me over while he dug around in his trays. Then he'd hand me a marble, saying, "Tell me what you think about this one.", like a pop quiz. Gave me almost the same feeling in my stomach -- I wanted to get it right! And he'd get such a grin on his face when I'd catch the 'thing' about it. We shared a fondness for the odd, 'what's going on with this?' marble, and it was so much fun showing him our latest finds. It was my turn to grin when he'd tell me, "That's a nice marble, Dink, you hang on to that one."

What a loss. His vast knowledge of Peltier and Vitro, his sly humor, his generosity, even the perilous scooter he cruised around on, terrorizing hallways and rooms, and menacing unwary toes. He always had a smile on his face, and never, ever lacked a sharp comeback at a friendly insult. If I razzed him about his 'doglet', (vs. my Great Pyrenees), he'd start talking -- loudly -- about how short people always had to have the biggest dogs as a way to compensate. He was a big man in many ways, and he leaves a big void that will be hard to fill.

The marble community was well represented at his memorial services, by the way. I couldn't stay for the service, but while I was there I saw Chuck Garrett,(of course), Clive and Marilyn Thomas, Ron Patterson, and Warren Huffer (?, I never get his last name right). Familiar names on floral arrangements included Bill McCaleb, Ron Sheppard, Danny Grocki, Chuck Garrett, Steve Dodson, Del Morgan, Joe Cano, Art Jones and Bill Bass, and Chuck and Diane Bradstetter. I'm sure there were others I just didn't recognize.

Guy, we're missing you already.

Dink

raynsandy

(1/5/07 6:05 pm)

Reply Re: A huge empty feeling...

He was good a friend, even sent him a bag of Grandma Utz potatoe chips just before Christmas.

He was always willing to share info and teach what he knew.

He is definately, and will be, sadly missed.

My sympathy to Denise and family.

Pinx

ezOP Administrator

(1/6/07 5:11 pm)

Thanks everyone for the wonderful memorial you've created. I'll keep this pinned a few more days in case some latecomers would like to post, then eventually move it to the Archive Forum so that it won't "disappear".

Elizabeth

scoop54

(1/6/07 10:48 pm)

Reply | Edit

I've been working on a "Marble Friends Memorial" Forum over at Lou's... Elizabeth, could I please copy this for that forum?

I only met Guy twice, and briefly... But, after all this time on the boards, we immediately felt like family.

He's a huge loss... His warmth, wit and knowledge were simply the best... I'll miss him terribly....

Pinx

ezOP Administrator

(1/6/07 11:01 pm)

Copy all you want, Sue! I'm not sure how you'll do it since the software is different. If I can help, let me know.

Elizabeth

scoop54

(1/6/07 11:11 pm)

Reply | Edit

Re: We Will All Miss The Guy with a Big Heart!

Thanks so much, Elizabeth!!

I managed to copy some from the old EZ Board... It's labor intensive. But, it's just not right to lose these folks without a trace...

I've intended to do it for a long time... Guy was the last straw... I just can't, and don't want to, believe he's really gone....

The forum is for them all, but in my mind, it's dedicated to Peltboy!!

leroy65

(1/8/07 12:48 pm)

Reply Re: Guy Gregg Tribute

A few years back I received an email questioning me about the Marble Muesum here in York, Nebraska. It was from Guy Gregg. Than I received a telephone call a little later saying that he and Denise were headed this way. It wasn't long before Guy and Denise were knocking on my door. They spent several hours here at home going through some of my marbles. The first thing Guy said when we came down stairs to my "Marble Room" (right next to my machine room) was "Alright Leroy, where's your Peltiers?" My, my we went through a lot of marbles that day, but mainly Pelts. I even went into a storage area a dragged out two large clothes hampers that were full of marbles (bags and boxes) with lots and lots of Pelts in them. Guy had a hay day and I learned about some of my Pelts. They watched my reconditioning machines in action. Than we went out to the Marble Muesum.

Over the years Guy and I sent each other various marbles. I can remember sending him an orginal Peltier bag of 100 Banana catseyes and a NLR mint wasp just full of aventurine. Some of my prize "cats" came from Guy. There were other marbles that went through the mail both ways. I will sorely miss Guy and I'll keep Denise in my prayers. ----Leroy----