Mostly Pix - Peltier

Steph

I think I get Cerise, and will dig out my candidates...but it seems more straightforward. The Primas are the problem!

Yep. The Primas are a problem. Have never seen one in person -- just photos. Unless there's some trick to them (and there might be :dunno: ), and the few American Agates I've seen (don't have one of those either) are really Primas . . .

If you post your Cerise candidates, I might be able to tell if they are or not. They're a very orange red -- not ruby, for example -- and somewhere there should be a seam, or something that looks like one.

There are the occasional strays. Once I had my beloved box of them, I realized I'd had one Cerise for a few years but not known it as anything but a mysterious red slag. Same thing happened to at least one other person -- Already had one but didn't know it until he got his box . . .

post-2163-0-54151600-1446832067_thumb.jp

Yep. The Primas are a problem. Have never seen one in person -- just photos. Unless there's some trick to them (and there might be :dunno: ), and the few American Agates I've seen (don't have one of those either) are really Primas . . .

If you post your Cerise candidates, I might be able to tell if they are or not. They're a very orange red -- not ruby, for example -- and somewhere there should be a seam, or something that looks like one.

There are the occasional strays. Once I had my beloved box of them, I realized I'd had one Cerise for a few years but not known it as anything but a mysterious red slag. Same thing happened to at least one other person -- Already had one but didn't know it until he got his box . . .

Thanks, Ann! So, do you mean to say that you think most of the AA you have seen are really Prima Agates? Just want to make sure I understand...

It might be a while before I get through some other mib projects before I can do this...but will surely be making a post on all of my maybe Prima or American Agates so the group can discuss.

So, do you mean to say that you think most of the AA you have seen are really Prima Agates? Just want to make sure I understand...

I guess I'm saying that I haven't seen enough of either to make a valid comparison.

It's my understanding (which is always imperfect) that Prima Agates in an original box are scarcer than even the Cerise Agates in an original box. For a while we didn't really know what the Primas looked like. Only figured it out recently (salute migbar!). And from some of the Pelt paperwork I've been lucky enough to see, we know that the Prima, along with the colored onyx (slag) and the Cerise, were the first three marbles that Pelt developed, And now that I have a Cerise box, I understand that I probably would need a Prima Agate box in my hands and a little time with the marbles to even begin looking for them elsewhere (free-range Prima Agates, I guess you could call them).

Going by photos only -- always risky -- they seem to have some similarities with the AAs, but they seem "cloudy-er," With some translucent white in some places. Maybe everyone should send me their Prima Agate boxes so I can know what the heck I'm talking about. :badgrin:

Well your nice description correlates to my understanding too. I think it is helpful to know, that there is always more I should know. This process of discovery is what I like most about marbles. The mysteries occupy me more than the certainties, usually!