Mostly Pix - Vitro

Steph

Blacklines are the more collectible ones. :thup: 

Funny thing ... Vitro also used "All Red" to describe their line in the 30's.  

So ... technically ... both  you and Bumblebee are showing all-reds today. :) 

A 100 count bag of cats eyes arrived through the post in the week. Unfortunately the seam had split somewhere crossing the Atlantic. Still a good opportunity to examine them in more detail. These are the 'later' vaned type rather than the cages of 'filaments'. Interestingly both bags use  the same style headers (like the all reds above but blue text)- whether this was a cross over period or whether both types were made simultaneously I don't know. Anyone any idea?

Anyway a few of my favourites - blue on whites:

vitro cats eyes.jpg

As common as anything but still real beauties in my eyes.

What do you mean by "filaments".  The "cage style" is later than this style.  The cage style lasted all the way to about 1990.  

I don't know if any cages were made concurrently with these, but to the best of my knowledge these are not very far removed from Vitro's first single-color offerings. 

That's a luscious photograph.  

:thup:  Beauties.

Supposedly Vitro cats were introduced in 1954.  I can't remember if we have that verified with ads and a Marble King interview casts doubt on that date, so put the introduction of Vitro cats as 1954 or 1955.   I think the first ones were single colored with four plump vanes.  [Need confirmation on the first ones being only four-vaned.]

That puts the ad below as shortly after the beginning.  After that I get even fuzzier ... because  I thought the cage style came pretty quickly, but now I see ads for about another decade which make me think the plump ones may have lasted at least ten years. 

VITROWHITIESCATEYESAD-10-57TOYSN-1.jpg

I was just thinking about those today.

I would call them Conquerors and leave off the Phantom.

But I was just looking some Conquerors and thinking how nice it would be to have some more  photos of them.   And here you are.  

42 minutes ago, Steph said:

I was just thinking about those today.

I would call them Conquerors and leave off the Phantom.

But I was just looking some Conquerors and thinking how nice it would be to have some more  photos of them.   And here you are.  

Edited :) I'm hoping some Victory will arrive soon.

If I was forced to only collect one brand I think I'd have to choose Vitro.

6 hours ago, J_Ding said:

Thought this worthy of some exposure...lots of colors here...I tend to not be able to count the number of colors with any confidence on these really blendy types. 

6 hours ago, J_Ding said:

Really like these slightly opalescent Tri-Lites a great deal too.

Lovely examples.

• 2 weeks later...