Mostly Pix - Gropper

Steph

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

when buying an original box like this, one can never be 100% sure the marbles are also original. unless, of course, there is proof that the box is factory sealed.

however, much like the box, none of the marbles are in mint condition. so they may be peltier.

thanks.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Only pic I could find with those was the 1931 on the pillar. at least they look a little like those. I wonder if any of those have ever been found in a Prima Agate Box. Mike, does the paperwork with slags call them Prima Agates or Just Primas. And Honey Onyx is a collector term, Peltier called them something. Sure wish I could examine that box. Those are neat marbles.

post-87-0-29092200-1319404796_thumb.jpg

According to the inventory reports, in 1925 Peltier made onyx, cerise onyx, and agate marbles. The agate marbles required special processes, even beyond the cerise marbles, and a different furnace to make, and consequently they made very few. I believe they had difficulty with the clearish/opal base glass. In the inventories for 1926 and 1927 they were referred to as prima agates, primas, or prima marbles.

I'm not certain, but I believe the yellow box was used in 1925 and 1926.

The similar-looking marbles on the monument that Galen shows were a more opaque white, I think, and later than the Primas in the yellow box above.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

From Mr. Alley's Pressman catalog Facebook page:

Intro to the 1933 Catalog album:

This catalog was not dated by the Pressman Toy Co. The Christensen Agate Co. went out of business in 1932 and Grooper was selling the marbles that remained in the factory at abut the time this catalog was printed for the 1932 Christmas season. See page 39. Alley Agate was supplying marbles for Pressman's Hop Ching Chinese checkers in the second half of 1933, after the catalog was printed.

gallery_279_363_148008.jpg

Description about p. 39:

This catalog was not dated by the Pressman Toy Co. The Christensen Agate Co. Went out of business in 1932 and Grooper was selling the marbles that remained in the factory at abut the time this catalog was printed for the 1932 Christmas season.

• 1 year later...

Prettteeeee!

I have it bad.  I start panting like a girl at a Beatles' concert when I see an ad like that.  At least I didn't squeal.  There are cats about. 

P.s., gotta remember that date on the checkered  "Champion" header.