German Marbles, Original Packaging

Steph

Interesting graphics on this colorful box from ebay auction of calvinandhobbsplace

The Soldiers of the Queen, Infantry of the Line.

England expects that every man will do his duty.

8465_zps4d076d82.jpg

84651_zpscd29ed34.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2007 at 5:50 AM, Steph said:

From the sublime to the ... cat's eyes.

(click to enlarge)

th_post-279-1183609099.jpg th_post-279-1183609109.jpg th_post-279-1183609114.jpg

The auction description:

When I saw the gallery photo for those, I guessed they were from Japan. When I read otherwise I did a search for some sort of confirmation. Here's a page which says this type of marble is from the 1950's and is the last kind manufactured industrially in Germany, Murmeln unsrer Kindheit, die originalen Murmeln der 50er Jahre. The site says it has some of the last marbles made in Ilmenau, and it offers them for sale. Here's a sample lot showing more of the old cat's eyes:

(click to enlarge)

th_post-279-1183610927.jpg

The Camel box is definitely Japanese and not original to those marbles. I've picked up a bag of them (will try and remember to upload photos) that appears to be from the 1980's so either they were made later than the 50's or they were stockpiled and packaged later. The 'beach-ball' style ones are fun.

:thup: on the bag

Not sure about the Camel boxes ... trying to remember if I've ever seen them say anything other than Japan.  Some distributors changed their source countries over the years.  

7 hours ago, Steph said:

:thup: on the bag

Not sure about the Camel boxes ... trying to remember if I've ever seen them say anything other than Japan.  Some distributors changed their source countries over the years.  

It's a possibility with the box - I'd assumed Camel were a manufacturer rather than distributor. The graphics are identical to the Japanese marked (and Japanese sold) ones. It's suppose it's also possible that the East German's bought empty boxes from Japan. I shouldn't have been be so definite!

These are the only two bag types I'm aware of for Ilmenau.  Found one lone marble in my rummaging around for weird cat's-eyes, no clue what it was -- then found the bag full.  Later got one of the bags like you posted.  There now.  You now know as much as I do about them!

• 11 months later...