Mostly Pix - Christensen Agate Company

Steph

58 minutes ago, J_Ding said:

Oh yeah!  How does one find so many great American marbles in the UK!  Wow...I gotta travel there, it would seem! 

Imported from the US with ludicrous shipping costs and got caught by Her Majesty's Custom and Revenue... :(

Over here I'm finding the odd French and Dutch marble 'in the wild' amongst a sea of Asian Cats Eyes. Old groups on the UK ebay site do frequently have some older American marbles in them though, and I'm up against far fewer buyers so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts...

Those pesky shipping costs sure are, well, pesky.  I figured you might be finding lots of Cats over there...still, as Steph noted, you sure are doing well.  Determination and patience is a big part of this business, I'm sure you'd agree. 

3 hours ago, lstmmrbls said:

I question that marble being an American Agate , ( too much like a 9 Red too red and White too Opaque IMO.  

Thoughts with further photos?:

AA.jpgAA2.jpg

It came from a reputable seller so I didn't question the ID.

I agree with Galen,the colors don't fit for beeing American agate and the glass is too opaque.

It looks more like a Japanese handgathered transitional to me.

It's possible the seller does not deceive you but might not know.

Here are some Japanese  transitionals.

transi. (Large).jpg

13 minutes ago, winnie said:

I agree with Galen,the colors don't fit for beeing American agate and the glass is too opaque.

It looks more like a Japanese handgathered transitional to me.

It's possible the seller does not deceive you but might not know.

Here are some Japanese  transitionals.

Thanks - the red is slightly pinker than those (from what I can tell).

I thought the American Agates came in both translucent and opaque forms from what I've read?

This is the group shot, from the purchase site - thoughts?:

vin103_2_800x800.jpg

[No opinion here.  Just peeking in to say that whatever it turns out to be, there is no reason to delete -- it's a good discussion to have -- with good photos for comparison.]

2 hours ago, Steph said:

[No opinion here.  Just peeking in to say that whatever it turns out to be, there is no reason to delete -- it's a good discussion to have -- with good photos for comparison.]

I honestly don't know - I've spent a bit of time looking at other photos and my inexperience lets me down. The colour is a slightly pinkish red - less red than Winnie's examples, but her examples have a closer patterning match than Galen's. The opaqueness of the white is like the most opaque examples in Galen's photo but not the typical, but I understand they do vary... Looking at other sites it looks like some examples but not others - it's fairly close to Bob's handgathered photo, but with less orange (there's some but not much): http://www.marblecollecting.com/marble-reference/online-marble-id-guide/christensen-agate-co/

I'd appreciate further thoughts before I contact LoM.

Richard:  That second post makes me think of what has been referred to as a crease pontil transitional by some collectors.  There has been a tendency to accept the 'spidery' messy pontils as pinch pontils, and those get tagged as Japanese.  Not sure if they also produced a non-spidery cut. The crease is an internal fold that obliterates the cut, or the cut is not evident, but the flow of glass hints at a cut line.  These are very often much like yours above in the second set of photos where you captured this very well. Mostly, when I have a mib with a nice nine, but can't locate a distinct cut line, it turns out to be one of these. Those obliterated crease pontils I think Roger (we miss him) and others have considered might have been produced somewhere in Ontario Canada.  This isn't 'slam dunk' marble info that's for sure. Also, the Yasuda corp glass doesn't quite match this in their optical properties.  So take it for what its worth.  John

18 hours ago, lstmmrbls said:

I question that marble being an American Agate , ( too much like a 9 Red too red and White too Opaque IMO.  

Shout out to Galen for the highest res photo of AA's in the box I've seen.  I've been waiting for a better look.  Just my wish, but I'd sure dig a few, even closer, and dare I say it, out of the box photos of a few of these.  :)

I shall do so shortly, I have sold over 40 American Agates and Prima Agates in the last couple of years so I am missing a lot I could have taken pictures of,  Here is a  Prima Box I got a long time ago that had a mix in it It is on top of the soldier box.  And a bunch of others I have had and another AA box that is not mine

post-87-0-98737200-1413254780.jpg

post-87-127811133758.jpg

The marbles from the purchase look Foreign to me and a whole lot like the "Canadian Types"   Many folks(including long time collectors) consider any red and white handgathered with out a rough pontil American Agates.  

3 hours ago, lstmmrbls said:

The marbles from the purchase look Foreign to me and a whole lot like the "Canadian Types"   Many folks(including long time collectors) consider any red and white handgathered with out a rough pontil American Agates.  

Thanks. I'll see what the seller says.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...