Japanese Cat's Eye?

MrsMopar

The Bogard article at Marble Mental was about a sampling which David Chamberlain took from cat's eye packages. The bananas Ron mentioned would be something else entirely. He said he didn't think they ever even made it to market.

What about the banana cats. Anyone have the Bogard banana cats? Most cannot seperate them from Peltier. Jack made the banana,s in colors of,orange,green,white,blue,orange/blue. I cannot remember if i saw a yellow. SLMTU posted a pic of some either here or marble mental about 1 1/2 or 2 yrs. ago. I had them for sale at Amana a couple years ago and no one would even look at them. I sent some to Leroy to polish and he got them mixed with Peltier and could not seperate them again. One sign of Bogard is the seedy glass. I don't think Jack ever got any of these on the market. I have reburied a couple tons of these while digging for Heatons at the same site.

Oh, ok...it's great learning all this new stuff...at least it's new to me...everyone who has posted information and pictures has been so very helpful!

I was reading something from another post earlier and there are so many things involved that I just never knew about in the process of marble making...quite interesting and historical as well. I appreciate every ones input. This doesn't help just me but others who are new to this fascinating world of marbles.

Just one note modularforms you showed this Marble King blister pack as from the 70's

Here are some modern Marble King cat's eyes. American-made. After 1990. Mine. Yes folks, I have actually taken a picture of my own marbles. :lol:

These are some Marble King cat's eyes which could be as old as the 1970's. Not a very big picture. Maybe someone else has a better one. The vane structure is roughly the same as my more modern ones, but as you can see some of the vanes are translucent.

I am editing my information

Marble King is still selling the same Blister Packs with no choking hazard warning on the front;

http://www.shop.marblekingusa.com/product....mp;categoryId=2

Just one note modularforms you showed this Marble King blister pack as from the 70's

Those same packs were around in late 90's into 2000 only with a choking hazard warning label on them.

The pack in your photo seems to pre date the warning label.

I did some research to find when the choking hazard warning labels started. My best guess was that it was the result of the 1979 Child Safety Protection Act.

That's why I was hopeful that these blister packs might be from the 1970's. (But after 1972, because they have the "for ages 3 and up" advice, which I think started in 1973, when the 1972 Consumer Product Safety Act was implemented.)

In the last few years I've occasionally seen the Marlow Peterson/Larry Castle book, "Marbles: The Guide to Cat's-Eyes Marbles" offered on eBay. I think I paid under $10 for mine. The small book (32 pages) was published in 1998. I found both the text and the photos helpful. Price estimates are included which, while not current, may still provide a guide as to what is relatively common and what is not.

Ann Craven

I am editing my information

Marble King is still selling the same Blister Packs with no choking hazard warning on the front;

http://www.shop.marblekingusa.com/product....mp;categoryId=2

That's an interesting package. It does have the choking hazard warning, but it's not an extra sticker added on.

To the best of my understanding, the 1970's packages said "40 American Made Glass Marbles" in the lower left corner, and the white choking hazard sticker was placed over that.

The package I see at that link is practically identical to the 1970's packages, but it has the choking hazard warning down on the lower left where the 1970's packages said American Made.

post-279-1188954014_thumb.jpg

So it appears that for awhile Marble King was selling modified 1970's packages, with the white sticker added on after the law changed in 1979. And now they've moved to Retro packages, in the 1970's style, but with the choking hazard warning built in.

And check it out, the retro packages have the "40 American Made Glass Marbles" statement back, but now it's on the belly of the little guy in the top right corner.

That's pretty cool.

There's a wealth of information here too:

Marble Mental Record-Breaking Cat's Eye Thread

I just realized that this thread is almost a year old and people are still adding to it. Unfortunately, because of its age, some of the pictures may have been removed from the picture host by the author. Still, there are lots of incredibly rare cats that you won't see in any of the books.

Elizabeth

Oh...also, as I was looking at the few that I had, I was wondering why some of them the vanes met in the middle and some had a space in between.

I dunno. Maybe we could get a clue from the Mirro cookie press though? :unsure:

I'd guess it has something to do with the shape of the spigot the colored glass comes out of. For instance, if there's an open x-shape, maybe that'd explain the connected vanes. But four unconnected little lines for the glass to stream out of would give four separate vanes? Could it be as simple as that?

Elizabeth, following another line of thought, I was just wondering if you would have a pic of plain old banana cat's eyes in assorted colors you could add here?

The common cats are soooooooooooo hard to find pix of!

The first pic contains some of the most common banana colors, with the exception of the "pumpkin" one (second from left top). I put it in this pic so the contrast with the orange and red would be apparent.

mvc170fbs3.jpg

Here's some double ingots:

mvc168fwa9.jpg

And here's some oddballs, hybrids, weird colors, oxblood lines, etc:

mvc167fjt5.jpg

Elizabeth

Say you had 5 cats eyes that had 2 yellow, 1 aqua, 2 red and then another aqua...and on the end of one side of each is the same ) mark on the glass..is that a good thing?

This thread is so very helpful with the various cat's eyes. Thanks everyone!

:-) Felicia

Sounds like you have some of one of the more rare varieties of cross-throughs. One color crossing through, but that color not being white. So, that is a good thing.

As to the ) mark? That is probably what I'd call a "crimp" or a "shear mark". It simply happens sometimes on the ends of marbles. It's not a good thing or a bad thing. imho.

And having the same or similar crimp marks wouldn't mean much either ... except if I had 5 uncommon marbles like that which I acquired at the same time, with the same colors and the same markings, I'd feel pretty safe saying they were "same run" marbles. (Made on the same machine on the same day.) And that is sort of special.

So I'd keep them together with a note about them being "same run", for the future reference of whatever archaelogist eventually excavates my marbles on some far off date. ;-)