Moss Agate Type Marbles

Steph

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coolness!  So much gaze-able beauty.

And I'll say good chance on the bottom one. Moss Agates did occur with white as a second color.  Looking at the official Akro names which could be responsible for the "ringers" with their whispy white, it seems most likely that they were moss agates, and that some just looked really nearly clear inside, leading them to be confused with popeyes.  

• 3 weeks later...

That's a tricky one. 

I could see it maybe having come from an Ace run but one with little white. Might need some of the white in there to get the opalescence. Have you seen the Peerless peewees which almost have a clear base ... just a wisp of white?  [Very late edit: I'm pretty sure I would have meant to say Acme Realers there, rather than Peerless Patches.]

Since we don't see Aces identified very often, I've often wondered how short the production time was, and if it was short then why that might have been so.  And one of my guesses was that it was hard to control the consistency of the Ace base. 

Edited by Steph

I haven't seen the Peerless peewees, but I will search them out now .

I think that is great speculation on the short run of Aces, too much white = opaque? Not enough white = above marble?

I really like the mooney-type base with bubbles.

• 2 months later...
On January 27, 2016 at 3:17 PM, ann said:

Would you consider this one I just got to be a mossy swirl?

Don't know from mossys, myself . . .

Lemonade hybrid swirl.jpg

Ann, I really dig this style too.  My example is a little less filled than yours, and even has the green ribbon.  I'm crazy about this marble.  Also, super nice mossy ones up there Jessica!  Wow, that grouping is great! Couldn't we say moss corks or moss snakes with these?

1888raw2copy.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Great thread full of fascinating and rich with information.  I believe I've been able to identify my Moss Agate as properly identified.  Far as the cost of these to the consumer...remember the times very tough in the 1930s. For me, the only marbles ever bought by my parents were a bag of 50 All Reds, in the early 1960s.  Money was super tight even then and new marbles were considered a luxury. Those are the only new marbles we ever saw and we didn't even like them!  Obviously they're all in wet mint condition today, still not worth anything, except the boulders that we used with the WristRocket to fire down the new asphalt street.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, Nantucketdink said:

I haven't figured out a reliable way to tell the moss agate Masters and Akros apart (hasn't been a real area of interest for me yet).  Is there a relaible way?  

Not 100%.  Mostly it's to try to figure out the seams, with a gentle reminder that most of us would just put them all together and not worry about it too much.  

Uranium base will get Akro.  Blending of colors in the patch can point to Master.  Another example of the blurred lines of trying to ID marbles made by people who were integral to the work at one company and then went over and started making marbles at another company.  

• Like 1
  • Award 1

4 hours ago, Steph said:

Not 100%.  Mostly it's to try to figure out the seams, with a gentle reminder that most of us would just put them all together and not worry about it too much.  

I agree with Steph.

The thing with Akro is the cutline does not always follow the stretch of the colors to a point; you may be able to discern a “C” type cutoff beyond the colors pointed end in the matrix. 
Generally Master Made Marbles do cutoff to a point with the colors—generally at least.
This is the way for me. Most will be right—some—maybe not but if I cannot tell, who cares really.
Then you get into Master Glass Marbles which may have been using Akro Machinery. We will find out some day.
Marble—On!!

• Like 1
  • Award 1

• 3 weeks later...

The "moss" part of Moss Agate refers to the cloudy, often bubbly, translucent base glass, which sometimes can have some yellowish color or fluorescence to it. I think the marble you recently posted in the ID section is a Moss Agate. Beyond the base, Moss Agates can have transparent, translucent or opaque patches or striping.

• Like 1