Vitro Agate , Marbles And A Little History

sissydear

Gladding-Vitro also marketed in Canada.

Vitro did a lot of export business over the years.

Don once posted a bag of blackies which were exported to Australia, and then made it back home to him 50 years later.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edna, I fear that some of your vitro oxblood may have changed into akro oxblood since you got them. That's not a joke! I think the 'accepted' i.d. may have changed on a couple of them. You know, like how helmets changed from Akro to Vitro. And corals changed from CAC to Champ or Alley or whatnot.

Edna, I have decided over the course of the past few months to collect specifically Akro and Jabo and a few 1" plus handmades. That doesn't mean I won't keep a few examples from other brands that I am fond of but I will focus on the others.

I have 3 Red Vitro Helmets myself. Those will not be going anywhere as I am especially fond of them, and received one of them from a great board member!

If you are interested in any my other Vitros they are all available as I pear down. Just send me a pm if you are interested.

And by the way, your Vitro collection is simply AMAZING!!!!!! :4Party:

Okay, I am truly blonde!!! I didn't get that I could listen to the Song until Edna said somepin'...then I clicked it................

I LLLLOOOOvvvveeeddd IT :wub: ! My husband liked it too, he told me to make it my theme song..........

Thanks Steph, I really wanted to make one up :Cool_049: , but I can't top this one!!!!! Jill Marie

Edna, since you started this blog, You inspired me to look through my own collection to find more, and actually know what they are!!!!! Thank YOU!!!!

do not giggle do not giggle do not giggle do not giggle do not giggle

icon8.gif

bahahahaha

sorry, but that's really funny Jill Marie icon6.gif

I knew you would have loved it. wondered why you hadn't said anything! icon4.gif

Since I've sidetracked the subject, I'll try to bring it back!

I continue to get a kick out of the juxtaposition of these two images.

Dave/Orbboy's parrot on the left and Ant's 1" Jabos on the right.

Parrots_vs_Jabos.jpg

Jabo did "inherit" Vitro's marble machines when they bought the company, and I think I read somewhere that there was one particular machine used for making these big 'uns. I still need to nail that down. In any case the chances sure seem good that the same machine made all of these. And I like that thought!

Edna, What do you mean by this statement:

"Here's a conqueror with opalescent glass. It is not an opal."

I thought Tigereyes were always on a veneered base, which would would exclude Blackies and Yellow Jackets...?