Jelly Core

m!b$

Guest browse4antiques

That link has now changed, but I believe that the marble in question was not a "jelly core", but it had some transparent red bands on the core. There are lots of examples that have some transparent colors at the core, but I believe a true jelly core requires a complete transparent colored core, such as the one shown below. ... Roger

jelly.jpg

The marble in the link is not a jelly core. It is a solid core made up of alternating bands, where one of the bands happens to be transparent red.

A jelly core is a solid core where the core is completely a transparent color. It might have opaque strands floating above it, but the core layer can't have opaque strands or bands as part of its construction. Roger's example is a nice one.

Guest browse4antiques

Ron, I'm not sure exactly where the boundary is, but your marble might be classified as a mist rather than a jelly-core. Sometimes mists are cased with clear glass in order that colored bands on the surface won't pick up the base color. Here's an example that is obviously on the mist side of the boundary. In your marble I see the bands of transparent green that sugggest its a mist. A great marble though, regardless of how it would be classified. ... Roger

204-blue-mist.jpg

Ron, I'm not sure exactly where the boundary is, but your marble might be classified as a mist rather than a jelly-core. Sometimes mists are cased with clear glass in order that colored bands on the surface won't pick up the base color. Here's an example that is obviously on the mist side of the boundary. In your marble I see the bands of transparent green that sugggest its a mist. A great marble though, regardless of how it would be classified. ... Roger

204-blue-mist.jpg

Hi Roger

It was sold as a "jelly core" a few years ago and there was a message from G. Dolly on the ebay-auction who said this is one of the nicest "jelly cores" he has ever seen. So in my oppinion it is a "jelly core" if the core is transparent, no matter if there are outer bands on the core itself or just on the marbles surface. But hey, it is always difficult to classify these more uncommon marbles.

Ron