Old Man Knows This Onbe

milj

Even as a newbie, I can recognize peppermint. My question is: It looks like two pontil marks. The one end looks as if the maker tried to burn off the pontil and made a mess. Any thoughts?

Even as a newbie, I can recognize peppermint. My question is: It looks like two pontil marks. The one end looks as if the maker tried to burn off the pontil and made a mess. Any thoughts?

Sorry Felicia, nonedible.

Yep, those would have 2 pontils...

These were made from long glass canes... It's all hot, but one end is heated to pliable soft and placed into a rounding cup, causing it to be smooth... Then the other end is heated, twisted and cut with a sort of blade... That leaves that end a little rougher. Some of those rough ends were hand ground to faceted smooth.... I think those were older??..... Others were just left a little rough. While still soft enough to be shaped, the marble was dropped onto a rotating surface that finished the rounding process.... The next end section of the cane is heated and the process repeats to the end of the cane.

Yep, those would have 2 pontils...

These were made from long glass canes... It's all hot, but one end is heated to pliable soft and placed into a rounding cup, causing it to be smooth... Then the other end is heated, twisted and cut with a sort of blade... That leaves that end a little rougher. Some of those rough ends were hand ground to faceted smooth.... I think those were older??..... Others were just left a little rough. While still soft enough to be shaped, the marble was dropped onto a rotating surface that finished the rounding process.... The next end section of the cane is heated and the process repeats to the end of the cane.

Thanks Sue. I am thakful for your expert knowledge.