Oxblood

ausman

I have purchased marbles that were listed as oxblood patches, swirls, whatever. Sometimes the oxblood merely looks like red. Some opaque and some translucent. Is it a common occurence that people mistake any deep or dark red for oxblood?

I have purchased marbles that were listed as oxblood patches, swirls, whatever. Sometimes the oxblood merely looks like red. Some opaque and some translucent. Is it a common occurence that people mistake any deep or dark red for oxblood?

Hello, unfortunately a lot of that is going on, some of it may be due to inexperience but a lot of it is done for pure greed. Best advice I can give you would be for anyone wanting to understand OxBlood and Bricks go to marble Alans old site (which is still active) and pull up his photos and study them. Good luck. Ronnie

People are dreamers who want to believe their marbles are rare and valuable. I have seen many non-collectors call anything red "oxblood". They believe it because they want to believe it. It can get crazy where they think that every marble they have is "unique and rare", even the game marbles.