Slag

Brock

I think your onto something with the Japanese transitional.

Would you happen to know when Japan transitionals were made? Also the name suggests they were going into machine producing at that point. Is it cat eyes they started making?

Bit off the topic the questions. but it something ive been wondering about occasionally over the years 

Transitional refers to being handgathered and machine-rounded.  Not a transition to another style of marble.

Handgathered American slags could be called transitional, but for some reason we tend to leave the transitional name for the Japanese ones which are basically the same style of marble as the American slags. 

In my mind I estimate 1930's for the Japanese version, but that's an old estimate I adopted a long time ago.  I understand there is new research that may give more precise answers. Maybe someone can link that up for you.

Allright, many thanks. Great info. That makes it clear to me, i was always under the wrong impression of what a transitional was.

One last thing. There are American transitionals? From a bit earlier time?

Edited by Brock

13 hours ago, Brock said:

Allright, many thanks. Great info. That makes it clear to me, i was always under the wrong impression of what a transitional was.

One last thing. There are American transitionals? From a bit earlier time?

The question that you added ... I don't know how to answer it.   American handgathered slags could be called transitionals, but aren't.  

If there are American marbles currently known as transitionals, I'm unaware of them.