It's Been Tough Year - Jim Ridpath

Scoop

scoop54

(6/19/05 3:42 pm)

| Del All

It's been a tough year.....

--------------------

There's more sad news for the "Old Time" collectors...

Jim Ridpath... one of the grandest pillars of the marble community, passed away, last week...

It's tough to write this without laughing and crying at the same time.... Laughing because that's how I react whenever I think of him... He was so much fun to be around!!

I only met him a few times. But, each time after the first, he greeted me as an old dear friend. His warmth and heart were huge.....

Crying, because I'm seeing the passing of a generation that I never imagined living without..... It's so hard to deal with.

He's another who will be greatly missed......

(Obit) (I do not have an address for family contact)

James S. "Jim" Ridpath, 83, of Myrtle Beach, S.C., formerly a longtime resident of Drexel Park, Pa., died Tuesday evening, June 14, 2005, at Millennium Health Services in Ellicott City.

Born Nov. 12, 1921, in Haxton, Colo., he was the son of the late Mike Ridpath and Bertha Mae Selby Ridpath. He was the husband of Helen Dipitrantonio Ridpath, who died June 9, 2004.

He was a Navy veteran of World War II. He fought at Pearl Harbor, the Battle of the Coral Sea and the Battle of Midway. He received the Good Conduct Medal, the America Defense Medal with an "A," American Theater, Asiatic-Pacific with six stars, the Philippine Liberation Medal with one star, the World War II Victory Medal and the European-African Campaign Medal.

He was a retired insurance salesman. He had been living in Myrtle Beach, S.C., since 2001.

He was the founder and a member of the national Marble Club of America and a member of the Marble Collectors Society of America, Marble Collectors Unlimited and the Masonic Lodge and Shriners. He also coached several national champions. He was an avid Nebraska Cornhusker fan.

post-2-1167848871_thumb.jpg

Taken from the front page of Jim's article in the

USair Magazine - June 1993

(copies of this magazine are available PM me for info)