Web Page About Japanese Pinch Pontil Marbles

Guest browse4antiques

Roger that's so cool!!! I really love the "look" of these marbles... Yeah, they can be common, but not nearly as common as many more "hyped" types... I think they're very under rated by a lot of collectors.

It's great to see some info on them.... Maybe it will give them the boost they deserve!!!

Thanks!! :)

In 1991 at a antique show in St. Louis, I found a baggie filled with marbles that were all pinched/creased transitionals in the 5/8" range......these were the only type of marbles in the bag, and there were 10 or 11 of each color.....red, green, blue, purple, and amber.....all with great 9's. I was really surprised that these were the only type of marble in the baggie, and wondered if they had come out of the same box. These were the only marbles that the dealer had...and I didn't think to ask him about them....because they just looked like slags in a bag to me when I purchased them for $5.00 .....I discovered the pontils when I returned home.......they are all in great condition. I had never seen a marble/slag with that type of pontil, so I sent one to Larry Castle and he told me what it was. I still have them. Diane

Guest browse4antiques

Hi Diane,

I have seen them in sets just like you describe. I believe they were used as Chinese Checker sets at one point, and the group you found was probably that (there was likely aqua as well to make the 6th color). ... Roger

Nice to meet ya and Thank you for sharing that information Roger. It was fascinating and with pictures, it helps so very much more. I don't think I have anything like those but at least now I would know more about them if I were to come across any.

You definitely have taken a lot of time with this and I appreciate your efforts.

:-) Felicia