Charles Gibson...

It looks Gibson to me. Is it signed? Mr. Gibson didn't sign his marbles. His shop was in Milton, West Virginia and he retired and sold the shop a few years ago. The lead blocker at Blenko bought the shop, name is David and i can't think of the last name. A couple of the Gibson daughters bought an antique store in Milton and set up a shop to sell glass.

I can't tell you how numerous they are. We sold a bunch of them and have some in our collection. Charles Gibson made several styles. The snakeskin is probably the best known. Toward the end, maybe late 90's, he made some with goldstone. They're probably the least numerous. As far as i know he's still living, but we haven't been by to inquire in a long time. Edna

Thank you for the info Edna.... I found a secret place here in Oklahoma where there are four more for sell. Two of them are sulphides. I haven't seen many of his sulphides. This one is not signed and the store owner said he baught them from Mr Gibson, so I just wanted to double check.

I forgot to mention the sulfides. Mr. Gibson used the figures made by Heiniken Renniger, and I know i don't have that spelled correctly, purchased from California. Jim Davis used the same ones. The only way to tell the Gibsons from the Davis's is the signature. I could never get mr. Gibson to sign, but i heard he occasionally did sign one. Bob Hamon told me he wouldn't sign them because they were made by several people working in the shop, not just him. He did give me Gibson stickers to put on the marbles. Edna

I don't know the prices now. When we were selling Gibsons we got $20 to $40 for the ones like you pictured depending on size. He rarely did larger than 2 inches. The sulfides were $36 to $45. The snakeskins were $36 to $50 again depending on size. That was along time ago. that was our retail price for them.

I saw a 3 inch snakeskin (only one that size i've seen) at Vienna, West Virginia. The man wanted $200 for it., If it had been $100 it would be in my collection now.

Great thread.....I love Charles Gibson's marbles and have several in my collection as well....The spiral in the pole (2nd pic) is a tell tale indication to me....

Thank you Edna for teaching me some things I didn't know....

Here's a group pic with mostly Gibson Marbles:post-257-1245186511_thumb.jpg

and another single shot of another:post-257-1245186485_thumb.jpg

and these are all Gibson's:post-257-1245186472_thumb.jpg

S~

I think ?? I have three Gibson's marbles ?? and one I call my Christmas marble , I bought it on the bay for only $20.00 and when I got it it was just GREAT as the inner Latticinio core had ever color that was the outer decoration , and they were very transparent . The other two are nice but !! . Mike

Charles%20Gibson%201e.JPG..Charles%20Gibson%202e.JPG

Charles%20Gibson%203e.JPG'...Charles%20Gibson%204e.JPG

redone%20MVC-673F_rs.jpg..redone%20MVC-674F_rs.jpg

redone%20MVC-675F_rs.jpg..redone%20MVC-676F_rs.jpg

redone%20MVC-677F_rs.jpg..redone%20MVC-678F_rs.jpg

Being these are not marked I am just guessing on Gibson !! the two are about 1 7/8 but the christmas marble is a big 2 3/8 . I remember buying it because of it's size ,it was a bad picture but when It was on the low end I thought why not and it ended up a good buy . MIKE