Got A Question ....

mibcapper

without too much referancing past " opinions"

in the books .. what is the defination of a machine-

made slag ... not handgathered, .. machine .. and .. what glass was used in the process ? " slag glass" you say :lol: just a thought .. slag, to me, refers to what floats to the top. this " refuse" was used to make the marbles ??? i don't think so ..

second part .. peltier slags " usually" are i.d. using the feathers as an indicator .. what about the 1's that don't feather ?? swirls ?? for me, i'm gonna stop reading so much :white-flag-25: ... bill

In sheet stained glass, "slag glass" refers to a sheet of glass that was a transparent color mixed with white, and apparently marble companies used the same terminology. I suspect that the non-feathering Peltier slags are not recognized as Peltiers.

I posted some non- feathered Peltier slags in sweet Ann's thread on feathered slags a few weeks back, some may have been hand-gathered, though.

mike

hi! in the case of cac... they bought 'slag' glass from cambridge glass right? I would take it as the imperfect, broken pieces, leftovers from their glass manufacturing. Slag meant leftovers and crap glass in that useage. (reused, recycled glass) Since glass was considered expensive I would have to imagine, when there was second hand glass to buy, it would have been a big bonus to the marble companies.

In the antique world it is as mike said, colored glass mixed with white or sometimes clear.

Does this makes sense? LOL!

o.k. ... well, would the term slag fit with the base

being clear .. opaque .. and, as mike said, transparent ??

and, on the slag glass .. with the quanity of slags made, there would have to be 1 heck of a pile of " secondary" glass available. for all the co.'s that did slags. was ingrediants that expensive during the time frame of slags ?? hmm. .. the books, all of them, don't pin down specifics of the slag. generalities ... comments please. thanks. bill

Seems like I remember a discussion of the (mis)use of the term "slag" for the slags we know and love in one of Marlow Peterson's books -- maybe not the 1st edition but the second? It was pretty good -- I'll try to remember to look it up tonight when I get home. But I'm old. I might forget.

Ann

I know more about stained glass than marbles, but going back to at least 1900 glass companies called their sheet glass of colored transparent mixed with white, slag glass, and most of the companies I'm aware of, made all their glass from batch, not scuzzy or recycled glass. Slag has a different definition when you're talking about metal foundries and manufacturing.

I don't think it was that expensive to make simple slag sheet glass. I seem to remember that Peltier sent a whole case of amber slag glass to Canada in 1905 for $6.00, including shipping. (not sure of this)

mike

You did it again, Bill, made me look. Technically, slag is the chemical compound resulting from the smelting of iron ores, the stuff that's left after the ore is purified. Since limestone and flourite are often used as fluxes to facilitate the smelting process, this slag often has a pretty significant silica content. As far back as the Egyptians, it was known that by adding a little of this and a little of that to slag, you could come up with some pretty fine glass very economically. (Early Egyptian slag was a byproduct of clay and pottery production, but same principle). And that's what slag glass is, glass made from furnace slag and other ingredients.

As to what bearing this has on the term 'slags' in marble-making, I'm not sure. It doesn't, in my mind, seem too far-fetched that the early marble manufacturers were indeed using "slag" glass as the base glass for their marbles, and the term 'slag' just stuck. Purely conjecture, of course, but hain't that what most of our marble information is LOL?

Man, just a quick perusal of the topic made my head hurt!! :wacko:

Dink