Questions About Two German Handmades

m!b$

The first marble: Would it be considered three-stage, since there is some space between the white core and the colored bands that surround it? Is there a minimum space requirement?

The second marble: Each ribbon spreads out in opposite directions from the center of the ribbon. Would that be called "finned"...or what? And is this only a Double Divided Core?

One ribbon is backed by solid yellow, and the other ribbon is backed by solid white. What appears to be green is actually transparent aqua, and what appears to be orange is actually transparent pink. I would guess that marbles of this type (solid colors underneath other transparent colors) are older than marbles without layered colors...?

There may be a lot of conflicting answers here... But, here's my take on it...

Even though many very established and respected collectors and dealers are calling the top marble a tri-stage.... In the eyes of those who have been actively buying tri-stage swirls for a very long time... No, yours would be a solid core with floating colors....

Reason being... Even though the "floating colors" are spaced away from the white core, they are there to enhance the white core. They are a part of the core design...

A true tri-stage has 3 layers of swirls that are totally independent of each other...

I've been one of those very active buyers for a VERY long time!!! One of the reasons I focused on them, was because I saw a difference that others didn't notice, they were a lot less common than the usual 2 layer. Yet, I could pick them up for the same prices as a regular swirl!!! There was the satisfaction of finding a relative rarity without having to pay the "rare" price...

It never occurred to me to include these "solid core with floating colors" in this category. They are far more common and... even though they may meet the "Technical definition," they are NOT the marbles that tri-level / tri-satge collectors look for. They have a totally different look.

As more people began to notice, the prices went up on tri-stage swirls. These solid core marbles fit the description enough to cop the name and BINGO!! Everyone has a rare marble to sell....

SO.... Sure, you can call it a tri-stage. Hell, everyone does. And, if it makes them feel warm and fuzzy that they have a bunch of these RARE marbles... Cool. ROFL

If you want to collect the marbles that are actually very hard to find and will get the attention of those who really know what they're looking for... No, I'm sorry, this is not one of them...

Here are some examples of true tri-stage marbles...

post-3-12650348097_thumb.jpg post-3-126503481798_thumb.jpg post-3-126503482569_thumb.jpg

I would call the second a "Double Ribbon".... And BOTH are beautiful marbles!!!

I'd without a second thought to it go 2-stage on the 1st marble. The 2nd marble actually looks like a triple ribbon and I love your coined expression "finned". You would absolutely love Stan Block's book on SWIRL MARBLES (2001) Schiffer Publ. I was looking through it just the other day. David

That's a BEAUTY, Mike!!! But, I agree... I'd call it a 2-stage, too... Unusual, yes!! But, just like the cores with floating colors, those outer groups of swirls are a "stage" of design. They are on the same plane and alternate with each other...

One might say, "Well, there's a little difference in depth."

I think, if you have to ponder it for more than a milli-second, give it up!!! LOL

That doesn't mean this isn't (maybe) just as unusual, or valuable as it would be as a tri-stage. I haven't noticed that style enough to know how unusual it is... But, it certainly isn't common...

'Can't help ya with that one.... While some people are studying histories, I'm just lookin' at the patterns and colors!!!

:party-243:

Though, it does make sense that finer detail, better work and more intricate design would indicate a more experienced glass worker...