Large Contemp Or Older?

I purchased this large marble on ebay for under $10.00 a few days ago. I believe it is contemporary because of the left hand twist and the pristine condition. Also the colors are a little odd and the design is funky. I would call it an end of day type marble with a clear ghost core. It is just a smidge under 2 inches and very round. It has a single well ground pontil on the bottom. The top of the marble has a tiny bit of wavier glass where it was gathered. Has anyone seen any similar marbles or know of any modern makers? How about some of the Italian glass houses? Do they produce larger marbles like this? It has not been polished or buffed. All of the original circular striations are apparent on the surface of the glass. Any ideas?

znampd.jpg

iq8spg.jpg

2qaijdh.jpg

9q8cyg.jpg

2mezmz6.jpg

Most definitely contemporary... Not a bad buy for 10 bucks or less!!! :music-rocker-001:

It doesn't ring any immediate bells for me, as far as a maker.... But, it seems to fit the MO of a John Gentile aka Gentile Glass.... The colors and pattern, the size and the fact that it's not signed... That would be the first place I'd look to research it...

There is very little marble making in Italy I've determined. Well, relatively little in the past but maybe that has picked up some lately since marbles have had such an ascendancy in interest. That left-handed twist could be a clue. It was Ro Purser's special signature(the left-handed twist) although this isn't Ro. His patented inside joke about making marbles was that he would be "twisting one up;" readily recognizable to any stoner! See pg. 22 Contemporary Marbles and related Art Glass, Mark Block (2001) David

There is very little marble making in Italy I've determined. Well, relatively little in the past but maybe that has picked up some lately since marbles have had such an ascendancy in interest.

I meant to comment on that, too.... Nope, I've never seen a marble that was absolutely ID'ed as Murano, or Italian... Though, I know a lot of artists who have either studied in Italy, or attended class by Italian masters.... So, it would seem there may be some...

I don't think they'd hit the market this way, though....

I did some basic research on the Gentile Glass Co. and contacted a dealer who speicalizes in Gentile paperweights. I sent him a few photos and he didn't recognize anything attributible to the Gentile family. He is not expert on marbles, but had never seen those particular colors or that pattern before. This doesn't mean he's right, but he wants me to keep him informed if I do find out who made this marble. David, I don't have a copy of the Block book you are mentioning, so I will have to dig one up.

Edna (Sissydear) had PM'd me about the pontil... She said she hadn't ever seen one like that on a Gentile before....

That pontil is the only thing about it that really has a vintage look. But, I still can't fathom it as antique....